• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Dynasty

Opinion: Petr Mrazek should be starting Game 1

Rate this topic

You can't say that. When howard was at the stage of his career that Mrazek is at now, it wasn't even clear that Howard would be an nhl starter. Although I think Howard Is underrated, Mrazek's ceiling is higher now than Howard's ever was. Mrazek's only real issue is consistency. If he takes care of that, he'll be a top 5 goalie.

Howard is an Allstar, Mrazek as a top 5 is a huge maybe.

Howard is an Allstar, Mrazek as a top 5 is a huge maybe.

I agree about Howard. As for Mrazek, it depends on your definition of "huge." If you subtract the games in which he's been pulled, his stats are unreal, which leads me to conclude that it is lack of consistency that is holding him back.

I agree about Howard. As for Mrazek, it depends on your definition of "huge." If you subtract the games in which he's been pulled, his stats are unreal, which leads me to conclude that it is lack of consistency that is holding him back.

It's his lack of playing time in the NHL that's limiting him right now. Give him a full year or two.

That will come with experience. I do think his stellar play is a much better indicator of the goalie he will be than the starts he has been pulled.

People need to remember how bad Howard was at first. It was painful. But the more he played, the better he got, and then stole the #1 job. I have no doubt Mrazek can do the same.

Edited by marcaractac

That will come with experience. I do think his stellar play is a much better indicator of the goalie he will be than the starts he has been pulled.

People need to remember how bad Howard was at first. It was painful. But the more he played, the better he got, and then stole the #1 job. I have no doubt Mrazek can do the same.

I agree. Mrazek just needs more experience. But IMO, there are so many positives about his game that indicate how high his ceiling could be if he figures it out.

Things like, he always seems to make the big save, bounces back from a bad game with a really really strong start always, plays an aggressive style, and handles the puck extremely well.

The only question becomes what happens if Mrazek plays really well down the stretch and Babs uses him in the playoffs.....

*cost us a point

Yeah, shootout was frustrating but we had no business in that game at all

I guess your just a glass half empty kinda guy...

We don't get any points in that game with Petr's performance. (and yes there were a number of games where Howard stole a point for us.)

That's what I was thinking of today. For how much we complain about goaltending, I can't remember a season where our goaltenders stole so many undeserved points for us. Goaltending was one of our biggest strengths for the majority of the season I'd say.

I guess your just a glass half empty kinda guy...

We don't get any points in that game with Petr's performance. (and yes there were a number of games where Howard stole a point for us.)

Defense kept us in the game just as much Mrazek did. Then Mrazek crapped the bed in the SO as soon as his defense was gone.

That's what we say about Howard including me so he's just saying it about Mrazek, IMO I give a much bigger leash to a kid who hasn't played 82 nhl games yet rather than a vet who just can't seem to consistently win games on this team and is making more money than Kronwall..

I agree. Mrazek just needs more experience. But IMO, there are so many positives about his game that indicate how high his ceiling could be if he figures it out.

Things like, he always seems to make the big save, bounces back from a bad game with a really really strong start always, plays an aggressive style, and handles the puck extremely well.

The only question becomes what happens if Mrazek plays really well down the stretch and Babs uses him in the playoffs.....

Then I say start him. He is our #1 to be. The sooner we get him some NHL playoff experience the better. Jimmy is the kind of goalie you can only win with if you have an all star defense in front of him, much like Crawford in Chicago. We were never gonna win with Howard in goal. Howard is a good goalie who has kept the position mostly stable during the rebuilding of the roster. Mrazek is the goalie who has won with the youth on this team, and I have no doubt in my mind that will continue. I don't think anyone is expecting a cup this year. If Mrazek keeps playing well, just as well get him some experience. In the end, if he does play in the playoffs, I don't think he would at any point become the reason we lose a series. If anything he might steal a game or two.

Defense kept us in the game just as much Mrazek did. Then Mrazek crapped the bed in the SO as soon as his defense was gone.

Mrazek is 2-2 in shootouts to Howard's 1-8.

Obviously defense is gonna be a big part of not allowing goals. Any goalie will look like Dan Cloutier with a lousy defense in front of them night in and night out. But unlike Howard as of late, Mrazek was there to make the saves when called upon. The lack of offense lost the game. Not Mrazek. Mrazek is the guy who stole the team a point.

Then I say start him. He is our #1 to be. The sooner we get him some NHL playoff experience the better. Jimmy is the kind of goalie you can only win with if you have an all star defense in front of him, much like Crawford in Chicago. We were never gonna win with Howard in goal. Howard is a good goalie who has kept the position mostly stable during the rebuilding of the roster. Mrazek is the goalie who has won with the youth on this team, and I have no doubt in my mind that will continue. I don't think anyone is expecting a cup this year. If Mrazek keeps playing well, just as well get him some experience. In the end, if he does play in the playoffs, I don't think he would at any point become the reason we lose a series. If anything he might steal a game or two.

Mrazek is 2-2 in shootouts to Howard's 1-8.

Obviously defense is gonna be a big part of not allowing goals. Any goalie will look like Dan Cloutier with a lousy defense in front of them night in and night out. But unlike Howard as of late, Mrazek was there to make the saves when called upon. The lack of offense lost the game. Not Mrazek. Mrazek is the guy who stole the team a point.

We went to the SO. Anyone's game. Hammond got his team the point. Mrazek didn't make one save.

We went to the SO. Anyone's game. Hammond got his team the point. Mrazek didn't make one save.

I just don't think you can have a weak shootout performance be the basis for not going with Mrazek moving forward or in a potential playoff game where there are no shootouts.

That's what we say about Howard including me so he's just saying it about Mrazek, IMO I give a much bigger leash to a kid who hasn't played 82 nhl games yet rather than a vet who just can't seem to consistently win games on this team and is making more money than Kronwall..

I don't give breaks to players just because they're young. You play how you play.

I'm fine with Mrazek as #1 right now, he's a good goalie so far. But all those hailing him as the new #1 in Detroit are going to be real disappointed when Howard is back as the go to guy in due time. And I'm guessing the Howard head hunting will only intensify from there.

I just don't think you can have a weak shootout performance be the basis for not going with Mrazek moving forward or in a potential playoff game where there are no shootouts.

Where were all of you when ppl were trashing Howard's first half of the season bc of his terrible SO's and defense that bailed him out?

I agree with you I know Howie will get his job back because the team isn't going to play like crap forever so babs won't have to lean on Mrazek, but if Mrazek wins tonight I think he'll be the goalie for the playoffs I just hope Babcock doesn't pick one goalie for both games this weekend.

I know you're just saying this s*** because some of us were saying it about Howard.

Sure, Petr didn't get us the extra point though Hammond got it for his team. I agree.

But Howard had only stopped 3 of like 15 shots and was at one point 0-7 in the shootout.