• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Namingway

Former NHL Player Attacks Opponent with Stick During Warm-ups

Rate this topic

During warm-ups before a Swedish playoff hockey game between Rogle BK and VIK Vasteras HK on Thursday, Rogle's Andre Deveaux viciously attacked VIK's Per Helmersson. After skating from the boards to the middle of the ice, Deveaux wound up and delivered a hard slash to Helmersson's leg before going for his head.

FastLinearBlacklab.gif

Shockingly, it does not appear, via the box score, as though Deveaux was penalized for his actions. In fact, he recorded an assist in the game and was allowed to play Sunday, too.

Good God, I'm surprised nobody seemed to have caught this, or cared enough to eject the guy after it happened.

via Bleacher Report

Edit: Oops, looks like the title was a bit too long. Could one of you fine mods please fix it? :blushing:

Warrant issued for former Maple Leaf Deveaux

A warrant for the arrest of former NHL player Andre Deveaux has been issued by Swedish authorities following his vicious on-ice attack of an opponent prior to playoff game, according to a Reuters report.

Deveaux’s Rogle BK, based out of Angelholm, was set to face Vasteras IK in second-tier Swedish league action late last week. Deveaux attacked Vasteras IK captain Per Helmersson with his stick during warmups.

Well deserved thugs like him are giving enforcers a bad and false reputation.

You've regularly argued that goons like Orr and McLaren should attack other players whether they want to fight or not. For no other reason than to "entertain the fans". I'm not sure your condemnation is exactly credible.

"If I'm Nonis I'd call up Orr, McLaren, Devane and Biggs tell them to do whatever it takes to give the fans some enjoyment for their money and if other teams won't accept the fight start it anyways, there are too many rats running around and fans want entertainment." - Frankgrimes

Edited by kipwinger

You've regularly argued that goons like Orr and McLaren should attack other players whether they want to fight or not. For no other reason than to "entertain the fans". I'm not sure your condemnation is exactly credible.

"If I'm Nonis I'd call up Orr, McLaren, Devane and Biggs tell them to do whatever it takes to give the fans some enjoyment for their money and if other teams won't accept the fight start it anyways, there are too many rats running around and fans want entertainment." - Frankgrimes

To be fair starting a fought during the game, and blatantly attacking someone from behind with a stick while coming from the bench, are two completely different things. Edited by wings87

On a level of 1 to 10, with 10 being "OMG, I'm really bothered by this", how upset would you be if we signed Deveaux and he did that to Chara during the playoffs?

To be fair starting a fought during the game, and blatantly attacking someone from behind with a stick while coming from the bench, are two completely different things.

He wasn't JUST talking about fighting. He explicitly said "if other teams won't accept the fight start it anyways". Fighting someone when they don't want to fight is called "attacking" them. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that attacking someone, with or without a stick, should probably not be allowed in any sport, at any time.

It's a little hard to take Frank seriously when he opens calls for attacking players on the ice, and then tries to condemn something which is entirely the same in spirit.

Don't attack people. It's a ******* sport.

I can't believe I have to explain/defend that position.

He wasn't JUST talking about fighting. He explicitly said "if other teams won't accept the fight start it anyways". Fighting someone when they don't want to fight is called "attacking" them. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that attacking someone, with or without a stick, should probably not be allowed in any sport, at any time.

It's a little hard to take Frank seriously when he opens calls for attacking players on the ice, and then tries to condemn something which is entirely the same in spirit.

Don't attack people. It's af****** sport.

I can't believe I have to explain/defend that position.

Because it's OK to attack people who are bad. Duh.

In this case, the poor Swedish chap didn't seem to deserve it, so it's a bad incident. If it's Chara, Lucic, Ott, Backes, then it's OK to do this. Free will kipwinger, free will.

Edited by GMRwings1983

On a level of 1 to 10, with 10 being "OMG, I'm really bothered by this", how upset would you be if we signed Deveaux and he did that to Chara during the playoffs?

What would it accomplish? He didn't even injure the other guy. In your scenario he would do that to Chara, Chara would keep playing, Boston would be galvanized, and the Red Wings wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt on a single penalty call for the remainder of the series. We'd be short handed every single game, and probably lose.

And if he HAD injured the other guy? Then you'd have a Bertuzzi incident. Which is worse.

I'd be pretty upset.

What would it accomplish? He didn't even injure the other guy. In your scenario he would do that to Chara, Chara would keep playing, Boston would be galvanized, and the Red Wings wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt on a single penalty call for the remainder of the series. We'd be short handed every single game, and probably lose.

And if he HAD injured the other guy? Then you'd have a Bertuzzi incident. Which is worse.

I'd be pretty upset.

I wouldn't mind it either way. Especially if the latter scenario happened.

Because it's OK to attack people who are bad. Duh.

In this case, the poor Swedish chap didn't seem to deserve it, so it's a bad incident. If it's Chara, Lucic, Ott, Backes, then it's OK to do this. Free will kipwinger, free will.

Can't we just beat them with hockey? And kisses?