• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

3/31 GDT : Senators 2 at Red Wings 1 (SO)

Rate this topic

"I think we need to rethink how our team is managed at the coaching level. Right now we have a team full of talent but we can seem to win against teams early in rebuilds. I'm not sure what we'll do at this moment but things need to change." -Ken Holland

"I think we need to rethink how our team is managed at the coaching level. Right now we have a team full of talent but we can seem to win against teams early in rebuilds. I'm not sure what we'll do at this moment but things need to change." -Ken Holland

From where is this qoute ?

Guest Playmaker

Yeah, if only the Wings could be like the LA Kings, you know, they win every year and never are in danger of missing the playoffs. Or maybe the Blackhawks. A team like that wouldn't fall into a wildcard spot. I mean, really, Holland should've had the foresight to get a star goaltender like Devan Dubnyk.

I can't imagine how exhausting it must be to have such unrealistic expectations and the constant negativity as a result. I don't love the Wings losing, but I think there are fan bases of twenty or so other teams who wouldn't mind having a team like the Red Wings.

Yeah, if only the Wings could be like the LA Kings, you know, they win every year and never are in danger of missing the playoffs. Or maybe the Blackhawks. A team like that wouldn't fall into a wildcard spot. I mean, really, Holland should've had the foresight to get a star goaltender like Devan Dubnyk.

I can't imagine how exhausting it must be to have such unrealistic expectations and the constant negativity as a result. I don't love the Wings losing, but I think there are fan bases of twenty or so other teams who wouldn't mind having a team like the Red Wings.

Dude we need to win every game by 10 or else everyone on the team sucks

How is it unrealistic to expect a team that was leading the Conference at one point to continue on that pace and not fizzle out when it's really time to play hockey? Tampa, Montreal, Anaheim, etc. don't seem to have that problem.

I hope they turn things around, but the team just looks lost, exhausted, brain dead, bored, just don't care..whatever it is. It's sad to watch. Or funny, depending how you look at it, when you KNOW this team is capable of a lot better.

Z has like 6 years left on his contract

I think 7. But either way, still awhile.

Z has like 6 years left on his contract

I can't even imagine how much slower and lazier he'll be in two years let alone six. He's already taking the worst angle shots I've ever seen. In six years, he'd be shooting the puck from the other side of the red line.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I can't even imagine how much slower and lazier he'll be in two years let a,lone six. He's already taking the worst angle shots I've ever seen. In six years, he'd be shooting the puck from the other side of the red line.

Even when he's off his game he's still solid defensively and rarely turning the puck over. I do think he'll retire in the next 4 years though

I can't even imagine how much slower and lazier he'll be in two years let a,lone six. He's already taking the worst angle shots I've ever seen. In six years, he'd be shooting the puck from the other side of the red line.

Save your thoughts for the playoffs. Z has an ability to pace himself over an 82 game season. The way he plays the game is different than Pav. Pav has magic and he is still able to use that to dominate the game on most nights. Z on the other hand has success by hard work, which is harder to do over such a long season. If Z played the way he can, as hard as he can, every single night, he would be burned out. So, whether he knows it or not, he paces himself during the season, along with the fact that he is streaky.

Now having said that, you go back and look at pretty well every playoffs and look at the numbers that Z still continues to put up. He always turns his game on when it matters most and I have learned to never doubt Z as a player and as a leader. Pav is no doubt the most important player on this team impact wise on a nightly basis, but IMO Z is just as impactful, for other reasons. Look at the playoffs last year. Pav did all we could, but with Z out we were still lacking. Then Z came back, rusty and no doubt not 100% and he STILL put up better numbers than anyone on the team not named Datsyuk.

What I am getting at is, yes Z is older and he has had to change the way he plays, but he still remains a very very important part of this team and fans need to respect that and him.

Lastly, from a goal scoring standpoint, I do agree with you. I would like to see Z score more goals, but he is unable to do that while playing 2nd line Center setting up his wingers. If we want Z to go back to scoring more goals, the only option is to play him with Pav, something I would very much like to see. I think that change could spark the team going forward.

Z- Pav- Abby

Nyquist- Sheahan- Tatar

Weiss- Helm- Jurco

Miller- Glendening- Cleary

Anderson is simply not getting it done for me, I would like to see what Cleary can offer as one last run for us since he is fresh. But the big thing is Z playing with Pav if we do that, I think Z will look more like what we are accustomed to.

Save your thoughts for the playoffs. Z has an ability to pace himself over an 82 game season. The way he plays the game is different than Pav. Pav has magic and he is still able to use that to dominate the game on most nights. Z on the other hand has success by hard work, which is harder to do over such a long season. If Z played the way he can, as hard as he can, every single night, he would be burned out. So, whether he knows it or not, he paces himself during the season, along with the fact that he is streaky.

Now having said that, you go back and look at pretty well every playoffs and look at the numbers that Z still continues to put up. He always turns his game on when it matters most and I have learned to never doubt Z as a player and as a leader. Pav is no doubt the most important player on this team impact wise on a nightly basis, but IMO Z is just as impactful, for other reasons. Look at the playoffs last year. Pav did all we could, but with Z out we were still lacking. Then Z came back, rusty and no doubt not 100% and he STILL put up better numbers than anyone on the team not named Datsyuk.

What I am getting at is, yes Z is older and he has had to change the way he plays, but he still remains a very very important part of this team and fans need to respect that and him.

Lastly, from a goal scoring standpoint, I do agree with you. I would like to see Z score more goals, but he is unable to do that while playing 2nd line Center setting up his wingers. If we want Z to go back to scoring more goals, the only option is to play him with Pav, something I would very much like to see. I think that change could spark the team going forward.

Z- Pav- Abby

Nyquist- Sheahan- Tatar

Weiss- Helm- Jurco

Anderson is simply not getting it done for me, I would like to see what Cleary can offer as one last run for us since he is fresh. But the big thing is Z playing with Pav if we do that, I think Z will look more like what we are accustomed to.

Where is Cole? I would put him on the second and put goose on the third, sitting Weiss most likely.

Z- Pav- Abby

Nyquist- Sheahan- Tatar

Weiss- Helm- Jurco

I agree with your points except for that about Andersson. he's been very solid the last little while. Making smart plays. And against Ottawa, he was the only guy winning face-offs.

I'll hold my hands up and be the first one to admit that I wanted him out of the lineup, but for the last little while he's been pretty solid.

Edited by wings4thecup06

There are a lot of words to describe Henrik Zetterberg, but lazy would never be one.

I wouldn't be shocked if Z was hiding an injury or if his back is just ailing whenever he skates. He's getting older and no doubt those long contracts can come back to bite ya. But he is no lazy player. Slow, poor decision making maybe lately. But he isn't a bad captain and once it's playoff time, he usually shines no matter how badly he goes in slumping. Lidstrom would be going through these same problems if he were still here and captain. This team lacks depth and leadership on defense and they absolutely do not have that physical snarl you need to go deep into the playoffs. Goaltending can't be relied on to steal games every night so it's a recipe for disaster against teams like Boston, Ottawa or Montreal. But we showed we can play with most of the league this year(especially the Western Conference). Maybe when the injured guys(Datsyuk, Cole, Sheahan..probably not Franzen) come back we can ride a hot Mrazek with nothing to lose into the playoffs and maybe make some noise. Just trying to be positive here while things might look a bit grim.

There are a lot of words to describe Henrik Zetterberg, but lazy would never be one.

Sure looks like it recently.

Z- Pav- Abby

Nyquist- Sheahan- Tatar

Weiss- Helm- Jurco

He's not scoring as many goals because he doesn't go to the net anymore. He just shoots from crappy angles and hopes it goes in. Yes, not playing with Datsyuk also makes a difference.

Sure looks like it recently.

He's not scoring as many goals because he doesn't go to the net anymore. He just shoots from crappy angles and hopes it goes in. Yes, not playing with Datsyuk also makes a difference.

I agree. He should be on the same line as Datsyuk so he can maybe get some offense going. Problem? Datsyuk is in and out of this lineup quite often.

I wouldn't be shocked if Z was hiding an injury or if his back is just ailing whenever he skates. He's getting older and no doubt those long contracts can come back to bite ya. But he is no lazy player.

Agreed. I only hope that summer is long enough to sort it out.

I wouldn't be shocked if Z was hiding an injury or if his back is just ailing whenever he skates. He's getting older and no doubt those long contracts can come back to bite ya. But he is no lazy player. Slow, poor decision making maybe lately. But he isn't a bad captain and once it's playoff time, he usually shines no matter how badly he goes in slumping. Lidstrom would be going through these same problems if he were still here and captain. This team lacks depth and leadership on defense and they absolutely do not have that physical snarl you need to go deep into the playoffs. Goaltending can't be relied on to steal games every night so it's a recipe for disaster against teams like Boston, Ottawa or Montreal. But we showed we can play with most of the league this year(especially the Western Conference). Maybe when the injured guys(Datsyuk, Cole, Sheahan..probably not Franzen) come back we can ride a hot Mrazek with nothing to lose into the playoffs and maybe make some noise. Just trying to be positive here while things might look a bit grim.

I'm not kidding you, people have been saying that here since 2011. In other words, he's been nursing a four year back injury. Not improbable, but it always comes up as "the" excuse whenever he struggles.

Whenever he goes on a hot streak, the four year back injury remarkably is cured.

We got schooled by Ottawa pure domination. Boston will be more the same tonight. We have zero desperation against these teams fighting to get in. And especially with Dastyuk out again don't like our chances, even if he's in Boston ruins us usually. Just gotta hope Ottawa loses too.

Edited by wingfan1991

I think Babcock want to go somewhere where he's out of the spotlight. Probably Florida or something along those lines.

I personally don't see him going anywhere, but if he does, I don't think it'd be some place like Florida, but some place where he has a chance to win.

Why would he want to go from a decent team that is expected to make the playoffs every year to Florida where he'd likely enjoy a handful of mediocre seasons while most of his team's home games are packed with the visiting team's fans, and eventually fading off into oblivion.