• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Empty Netterburg

Time to move Howard?

Rate this topic

With Mrazek showing he is good enough to be a NHL goalie, do we move Howard at the draft??

I see two options. The first option is to keep both goalies and have a healthy competition. If either one gets hurt, we have an above average backup. The negatives will be that there is no longer a solid number one and Howard's days are numbered. Is that fair to Howard? Do we want the highest paid backup in the game if Mrazek takes over?

Option number 2 (which I prefer) would be to move Howard for a top 4 Dman. i feel like to the right team he would fetch a good return. There are plenty of teams who will need an improvement in goal (Toronto? Buffalo? Philidelphia? Oilers?) that i think would like Howard. Personally, I'd package Weiss with Howard so we can move that awful contract. I think it would be plausible to move him at the draft.

One potential trade I could imagine working is to Toronto for Phanuef. We move Howard, Weiss (withhold 1.5 mil a year of contract) and a pick for Phanuef (they withold 2.0 mil a year of contract), Bernier/Reimer (for backup), and a prospect or pick (I don't know Toronto's system well enough). I think this would be an improvement simply because we wouldnt lose anything, and this is a great way to get Weiss gone which is going to a tough task for Howard.

Do you guys think its time to move on from Howard?

No. It's stupid to trade a player of his caliber when his stock is so low. He is better than he is playing right now. When he finds his game again then trade him and go with Mrazek. Trading him after this season would be a panic move.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

Its time to give Mrazek a chance to carry the team, and its also time to see what happens when it comes to Howard. He isn't a top 5 goalie in the league, but he is still a good netminder. His career numbers carry a .916 save percentage and a 2.42 GAA. I really believe that Mrazek can equal or exceed those numbers, but I am not willing to bet the farm on him until he gets a full season under his belt. Keep Mrazek as the #1 through the playoffs this year and next year. Keep Howard as the backup. Have them compete against each other. Evaluate as needed.

This thread could be EPIC! LOL!

I am in the court of at least entertaining the idea of trading him, ONLY if it comes down to a cap issue. If there is no need to clear cap space, at least this off season, may as well keep him...BUT if Mrazek gets near $3M, is it wise to keep over $8M in goalies? I guess it all depends on which teams he'd waive his NTC to go to AND which above average back up goalies are available come July 1st.

It would be nice if he'd waive his NTC to a team that we'd could score a #1/#2 defender from...

No. It's stupid to trade a player of his caliber when his stock is so low. He is better than he is playing right now. When he finds his game again then trade him and go with Mrazek. Trading him after this season would be a panic move.

What caliber is that? Average caliber?

Like I said, I'd entertain moving him only if the cap dictated and there was an above average back up out there to sign.

But wouldn't it be great to move Weiss/Howard/Smith to Toronto for Phaneuf? Something tells me though, TO would NOT want all that contract money back! :lol: Who is on the blueline in Buffalo?

No. He needs to steal the jib and leave no doubt first. When we have a season with two clear number ones, our Mrazek just absolutely clearly and consistently becoming the better goalie, then move Howard.

Sending Mrazek down to learn to be consistent is also a backwards option. He is dominant at the ahl leve. He can only learn at the the nhl level at this point. Hence why I think he should start in the playoffs if he finishes the season strong. For that experience.

Like I said, I'd entertain moving him only if the cap dictated and there was an above average back up out there to sign.

But wouldn't it be great to move Weiss/Howard/Smith to Toronto for Phaneuf? Something tells me though, TO would NOT want all that contract money back! :lol: Who is on the blueline in Buffalo?

I think Toronto is more willing to push for some actual nhl players if the somehow win the lottery

Mrazek is a fresh 23. He should go back to the minors and work on his consistency, or split time with Jimmy until he's ready.

i kinda agree but i don't see them splitting time. it's not like howard is 36 and ready to retire. i'd love to know what management is actually thinking regarding the tending right now

Edited by DRW Dominance

No.!#@& (lolz) Jimmy has moments in the season where he doesn't perform as well as hoped but in D town we keep our guys turn them into tools instead of mercenaries..I have complete faith that Jimmy has 3 years left in him at least we may not see no Hasek performances for a couple more years when Maz is really ready but Jimmy still has game

I sense the frustration with the lack of moves (until recently) is giving us an upgrade hangover..face it we slumped at the end instead of Dec/Jan/Feb as previous years...the boys will get in 8th seed or better remember the ssstttttttttrrrreeeeaaaaakkkkkkkkkk +++

we aren't legit contenders anyway no need for desperate measures retoool on the fly...................

You can't move Howard (no move clause), and even if you could, why trade an asset when its worth has bottomed out? That's an illogical panic move; Holland has kept this franchise in the playoffs for two+ decades specifically by avoiding panic moves.

Mrazek isn't ready for full-time, every night starts.

I read "Time to move Howard?"

I thought "Why, is it 2013?"

That was when I last really liked him. Since then he's just been okay, and only at times. Unfortunately, right now he sucks @$$ through a straw, so if anybody wants him, they'll offer a bag of warm pucks in trade. For now, I think his crappiness needs to be ridden out, and turf him when he's worth something.

This is my opinion only, and should not be considered a truly educated view on the subject.

I read "Time to move Howard?"

I thought "Why, is it 2013?"

That was when I last really liked him. Since then he's just been okay, and only at times. Unfortunately, right now he sucks @$$ through a straw, so if anybody wants him, they'll offer a bag of warm pucks in trade. For now, I think his crappiness needs to be ridden out, and turf him when he's worth something.

This is my opinion only, and should not be considered a truly educated view on the subject.

Jimmy Howard? The 2014/15 all star?

Jimmy Howard? The 2014/15 all star?

Oh, I thought we were talking about Ron Howard.

Yes, him. There have been a few "all stars" that didn't do much for me. Being in an all star game, even more than once, doesn't make you a superstar. I just haven't had the warm fuzzies for him for a couple seasons.

To be fair, the comment about him only being okay, may be more of a bias towards his inconsistency, and the fact that he irritates the crap out of me with that.

Edited by Hack & Whack Rule!

Oh, I thought we were talking about Ron Howard.

Yes, him. There have been a few "all stars" that didn't do much for me. Being in an all star game, even more than once, doesn't make you a superstar. I just haven't had the warm fuzzies for him for a couple seasons.

To be fair, the comment about him only being okay, may be more of a bias towards his inconsistency, and the fact that he irritates the crap out of me with that.

Yeah, I don't think anyone thinks he's a superstar.

Sorry about your warm fuzzies

With Mrazek showing he is good enough to be a NHL goalie, do we move Howard at the draft??

I see two options. The first option is to keep both goalies and have a healthy competition. If either one gets hurt, we have an above average backup. The negatives will be that there is no longer a solid number one and Howard's days are numbered. Is that fair to Howard? Do we want the highest paid backup in the game if Mrazek takes over?

Option number 2 (which I prefer) would be to move Howard for a top 4 Dman. i feel like to the right team he would fetch a good return. There are plenty of teams who will need an improvement in goal (Toronto? Buffalo? Philidelphia? Oilers?) that i think would like Howard. Personally, I'd package Weiss with Howard so we can move that awful contract. I think it would be plausible to move him at the draft.

One potential trade I could imagine working is to Toronto for Phanuef. We move Howard, Weiss (withhold 1.5 mil a year of contract) and a pick for Phanuef (they withold 2.0 mil a year of contract), Bernier/Reimer (for backup), and a prospect or pick (I don't know Toronto's system well enough). I think this would be an improvement simply because we wouldnt lose anything, and this is a great way to get Weiss gone which is going to a tough task for Howard.

Do you guys think its time to move on from Howard?

I'll be the first to admit, Howard's recent play has been very frustrating, but dont forget it was only 2 months ago that this guy was an all star and in the conversation for the Vezina. He got hurt and hasn't been the same since.

Mrazek does appear to be our goalie of the future, but I'm not ready to go with him as "the guy" without a safety net just yet. I would want at least a full season of Mrazek playing high level hockey before I would even consider trading Howard. Plus, his value right now is at an all time low. Not the right time.