• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Is Hank too slow and ineffective to play center?

Rate this topic

He played center in Sweden, early in his NHL career, and whenever he isn't with Datsyuk later on. He is a center.

He's played center everywhere he's been. And he could play RW if we needed him too as well. He's that good. None of that changes the fact that he's always been a natural LW.

but NHL 15 has him a LW

So does every reputable website

Edited by number9

Right now he reminds me of Mario Lemiuex late in his career when Mario was old and slow. You wouldn't notice him at all during the game, but he would still end up with a goal and 2 assists. Z just doesn't have that energy and strength that his game requires anymore - his skill and willpower can only carry him so far, so he can still rack up points, but he is incapable of dominating the play any more :(

Right now the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

He's played center everywhere he's been. And he could play RW if we needed him too as well. He's that good. None of that changes the fact that he's always been a natural LW.

So he's always played center in juniors, the Swedish league, and in Detroit unless he's with Datsyuk, but he's really a left winger because he's listed as a winger on websites. Gotcha.

So he's always played center in juniors, the Swedish league, and in Detroit unless he's with Datsyuk, but he's really a left winger because he's listed as a winger on websites. Gotcha.

There's a reason he was listed as a LW when we drafted him. There's a reason he's still listed as a LW everywhere. Because he's a natural LW. And played that for the majority of his early career.

Now he plays mostly center because he's our best forward outside of Datsyuk.

He's a converted center, much like Ericsson is a converted defensemen.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Zetterberg was a natural LW, guess I was wrong.

Edited by number9

Seems like every year for the last 5 years there is a "Hank is done" thread when he goes into a slump. He's streaky. Then he comes out of it. He is still the best guy we have a holding onto the puck along the wall in the offensive zone. When Cole & Abby were healthy that line was our best mainly because of Z. Maybe if he(and Pavs) didn't have to be relied on to do every f-in thing for this team ALL the time he would have a little more gitty-up in his step.

Seems like every year for the last 5 years there is a "Hank is done" thread when he goes into a slump. He's streaky. Then he comes out of it. He is still the best guy we have a holding onto the puck along the wall in the offensive zone. When Cole & Abby were healthy that line was our best mainly because of Z. Maybe if he(and Pavs) didn't have to be relied on to do every f-in thing for this team ALL the time he would have a little more gitty-up in his step.

Tatar, Nyquist, and Abby have combined for more goals than any other 3, 4, & 5 forward group in the league, and are 6th in points as well. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are 24th in goals and 16th in points in the 1&2 group. Over-reliance on them is about the only thing that hasn't been a problem for this team this season.

I think were jumping the gun with Z. Keep in mind that this is his first year after surgery. He may change his offseason routine coming off this season because obviously he wasn't very effective as he was in the past two. Also remember that Z actually did worse in the season before the 2013 lockout. Somewhere in 2014 season they asked him how he was doing so well and I believe he said something about changing his conditioning habits. So he's definitely aware of what he needs to change. Maybe he will after this season as well. Hard to judge a post surgery season imo.

Hell I mean compare Datstyuks last season to this season, he's ppg is much better and he's played in many more games and is a year older. And many people had written him off due to his leg issue.

Edited by kickazz

Buppy,

Z and Dats are relied on defensively more than other 1 & 2's in the league though. While it is nice that Tatar, Nyquist, & Abby have stepped up production wise offensively, with our garbage defensive play we can't seem to afford to put Z on the wing where he could focus on offense.

In general, I don't think it's a coincidence that he is a minus player this year (-5). It seems like having backchecking duties is a little too much for him right now.

I think he'd be better served on Pav's wing where he can get open and be available for shots because as a center and as a primary facilitator, he's not getting too many quality opportunities. It also may help to move Tatar off of Pav's wing to freshen things up for him and get him going again (even though part of what has hindered him is the post...a lot).

I just want Hank to age the way Selanne, and Jagr, and Pav, and Nick have/did.

Zetterberg is not a natural winger. He is a center. When he's with Datsyuk he lines up on the wing but they switch back and forth as the flow of the game goes during play. Babcock has them split to increase the scoring depth. If they were together right now they'd have one good line.

Better than no good lines.

Right now he reminds me of Mario Lemiuex late in his career when Mario was old and slow. You wouldn't notice him at all during the game, but he would still end up with a goal and 2 assists. Z just doesn't have that energy and strength that his game requires anymore - his skill and willpower can only carry him so far, so he can still rack up points, but he is incapable of dominating the play any more :(

Right now the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Is he racking up points though?

I think whatever is bothering him is a new injury. His surgery, from what we've heard, completely erases his history of back injuries. So if he's hurt it's a fresh injury, not a nagging one that he's dealt with for years. Motown1043 had it right, though. We could always rely on late season beast mode from Zetterberg, and the fact that he's so quiet is unsettling. Hopefully he'll find that next gear soon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he start his NHL career on Dat's wing, along with Brett Hull?

It is noticeable that he's slowed down, especially on every rush into the offensive zone. Seems to coast over the blue line then try to skate around guys, and it's not really working. He shouldn't be the guy doing that any more. If Babs doesn't want to pair him with Dats then why not have him on Weiss's wing instead? Couldn't hurt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he start his NHL career on Dat's wing, along with Brett Hull?

Drafted as LW. Listed as LW. Considered a LW when rated to "All-Star" line votes end of the year. Started being listed as C/LW after 2007 or so. I believe he was also ranked as top 10 left wings of all time in some magazine (can't seem to find source, read it a while ago). He's played center plenty of times but he started playing more center under Babcocks coaching because of his versatility and shutdown ability in his prime. Guy can play any position due to his hockey IQ. Basically he's been converted into a center under babcocks coaching.

It is noticeable that he's slowed down, especially on every rush into the offensive zone. Seems to coast over the blue line then try to skate around guys, and it's not really working. He shouldn't be the guy doing that any more. If Babs doesn't want to pair him with Dats then why not have him on Weiss's wing instead? Couldn't hurt

He put him with Dats last game and probably will stick to it to finish the season until Zetterberg can pick it up again and take over more defensive responsibilities and still be able to produce. Babs sort of did the same thing in 2013 lockout season. Every now and then Z needs a break from backchecking. But he's still the best shutdown forward when hes healthy imo. Save him for the playoffs I say. We'll need him doing his thing against Stamkos if we end up playing Tampa.

Edited by kickazz