• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

4/5 GDT : Washington Capitals 2 at Red Wings 1

Rate this topic

Pens are slumping without their two best defensive players and Philly is already out of the playoff race. We had two tough back to back games against the still fighting Wild and red hot Capitals and have a strong Montreal team ahead. We don't have the easiest schedule, in fact the opposite is true.

2 games against carolina is all i gotta say. on paper we have the easiest sked.

Babcock post game: "I thought we played a really good game, we had lots of chances just couldn't find the back of the net"

He needs tof****** go. I'd be fine letting him out now with 3 games to go, bring in someone who wants to stay and can motivate these players. Absolute joke!

Careful what you wish for. The Maple Leafs would gladly take him off our hands. Just go to their boards. It's "we need Babcock this" "Babcock for coach" that.

Honestly, what do you want to do? Call people names on tv? Who cares what he says in front of the camera? Unless you have the ability to crawl inside his head, or were in the locker room, you have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

His job is to coach the players, not ensure the fans in front of the camera that he's motivating the players.

I'll take Babcock's polished and general responses in front of the camera over some hothead who blows his top in front of the camera, calling out guys, causing discontent in the locker room, and having guys demanding trades. For coaches, that's usually the quickest way out of a job.

Seriously, what did you want him to say? We sucked? I quit? We'll win the next one? What?

Careful what you wish for. The Maple Leafs would gladly take him off our hands. Just go to their boards. It's "we need Babcock this" "Babcock for coach" that.

Honestly, what do you want to do? Call people names on tv? Who cares what he says in front of the camera? Unless you have the ability to crawl inside his head, or were in the locker room, you have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

His job is to coach the players, not ensure the fans in front of the camera that he's motivating the players.

I'll take Babcock's polished and general responses in front of the camera over some hothead who blows his top in front of the camera, calling out guys, causing discontent in the locker room, and having guys demanding trades. For coaches, that's usually the quickest way out of a job.

Seriously, what did you want him to say? We sucked? I quit? We'll win the next one? What?

I like honesty from coaches.

While true, we had a game against Carolina last season that would've given us a much more favorable match-up against Pittsburgh and didn't show up.

I realize it's a different season, but with the Wings play of late, and how they've played against bottom feeders this year, it's not slam dunk. It's gonna be a bumpy ride to the finish line.

That 2 games against Carolina in such a short span is not as easy as it sounds, especially when the Wings need every win they can get. I can see them getting one win against Carolina, but two wins against the same team in their final 3 games? That's tough no matter who you are.

This playing two games against a team that has nothing to lose either way scares me almost as much as having to play Montreal.

That 2 games against Carolina in such a short span is not as easy as it sounds, especially when the Wings need every win they can get. I can see them getting one win against Carolina, but two wins against the same team in their final 3 games? That's tough no matter who you are.

This playing two games against a team that has nothing to lose either way scares me almost as much as having to play Montreal.

i agree completely. that's why i said on paper. which is also why i think pitt, ottawa, and boston all have it tough too.

I'd like Babcock to say "We are not playing the hockey we need to play to ensure a successful season to our fans and I'm to blame as well. If we don't get it done and play with some heart then I'd have to say this would be one of the more disappointing seasons and we'd have to reevaluate where we're really heading in our future regarding personnel. We need to wake up cause it's gut check time right now for the next 3 games." Lol better than "I thought we played real good in the 2nd and 3rd but their goalie stood on his head."

Edited by GoWings!

Not such a bad game. Looks like we're back to playing some pretty good hockey. Considering the that it was a back to back, it was a good effort. 1st wasn't so good and cost us. Mrazek was solid. Datsyuk makes such a difference. It's been a rough stretch, but these last 2 games have been encouraging that we're getting back into form.

Some other thoughts:

Nyquist and Tatar are struggling in their first full season. That should have been expect, I guess. They've been great at times, but it's hard to keep that up for 82. Time for the vets to take us down the final stretch (Z,D,K,Z, Helm, Abby, Howard, Cole)

It would be big to get back Abby and Cole (I wish Mule as well, but isn't at all likely).

Finally, I like Zidlicky more and more. I'm starting to think we need to sign him for next year.

I'd like Babcock to say "We are not playing the hockey we need to play to ensure a successful season to our fans and I'm to blame as well. If we don't get it done and play with some heart then I'd have to say this would be one of the more disappointing seasons and we'd have to reevaluate where we're really heading in our future regarding personnel. We need to wake up cause it's gut check time right now for the next 3 games." Lol better than "I thought we played real good in the 2nd and 3rd but their goalie stood on his head."

What do you expect? This is a coach that rode an oversized pad wearing cheater goalie all the way to the Finals on a mediocre team. In Detroit, he's coached the most talented team in the league during his tenure.

Not so easy to coach when you have no talent and no hot goalie to bail the team out.

Really? Why weren't we supposed to make the playoffs this season? Did I miss something?

And thanking God for me not being GM is rather silly. I mean, how many people on an internet forum would have a chance to be GM?

Rebuilding teams don't generally make the playoffs, no. That might be shocking news to Detroit fans, but it's true. But it's that exact kind of knee-jerk "we're having a bad month LET'S FIRE EVERYONE!!!" mentality that Holland has managed to avoid for 24 years, thereby keeping this team relevant. If you don't want Babcock, someone else will take him. And I bet you anything that the team that picks him up gets a heck of a lot better real quick. Babcock is the best coach in the NHL. Period.

We're just so d*** spoiled. A generation of Wings fans don't know what it is like to miss the playoffs. Maybe it would be good for us.

Edited by Aethernum

I like honesty from coaches.

And you know what happened to Jim Mora after that rant? His team continued to lose, and he ended up getting fired at the end of the season. Alot of good that did.

Similar could be said for John Torterella.

You want honesty? Why? He's just a coach. He's not running for president. It's not his job to make fans feel good after a loss. Frankly, I could care less what he has to say as I'm just mad that they lost. That's all that matters. No amount of, "we need to do this!!", "this guy sucks" ,"this guy's a schmuck", "I guarantee we'll win the next one" is going to change that.

Anyone can talk a good game. Who cares? Games are decided on the ice, not during press conferences.

Rebuilding teams don't generally make the playoffs, no. That might be shocking news to Detroit fans, but it's true. But it's that exact kind of knee-jerk "we're having a bad month LET'S FIRE EVERYONE!!!" mentality that Holland has managed to avoid for 24 years, thereby keeping this team relevant. If you don't want Babcock, someone else will take him. And I bet you anything that the team that picks him up gets a heck of a lot better real quick. Babcock is the best coach in the NHL. Period.

We're just so d*** spoiled. A generation of Wings fans don't know what it is like to miss the playoffs. Maybe it would be good for us.

He is the best coach in the league, but we still need to move him. As I've said before, we need someone with fresh ideas on how to improve the team. Babcock doesn't seem to have any fresh ideas with this roster. Sometimes you need a fresh start.

And we're not a rebuilding team anymore. We're a regressing team. We've been regressing for 5 years, but the core of this team has been in Detroit for many years now.

Edited by GMRwings1983

The Rangers rebuilt the team and are a Western Conference style speed menace while remaining competitive, but they are by far the exception.

And you know what happened to Jim Mora after that rant? His team continued to lose, and he ended up getting fired at the end of the season. Alot of good that did.

Similar could be said for John Torterella.

You want honesty? Why? He's just a coach. He's not running for president. It's not his job to make fans feel good after a loss. Frankly, I could care less what he has to say as I'm just mad that they lost. That's all that matters. No amount of, "we need to do this!!", "this guy sucks" ,"this guy's a schmuck", "I guarantee we'll win the next one" is going to change that.

Anyone can talk a good game. Who cares? Games are decided on the ice, not during press conferences.

:clap: Preach!

This team is mentally fragile right now. For better or worse, it's the makeup of the group and it's what we have to work with for the rest of the season. How do you think calling out specific players or dumping on their performance would go in the locker room? Trust our coach to coach. He's not your d*** therapist.

Babcock was dead on: We played a poor first period. Then we played a good second and third period. But their goalie stood on his head one too many times and we took some bad bounces and so we lost by a goal in a game that we probably deserved to win. That's how this league goes sometimes. And no amount of coaching or "brutal honesty" is going to change that.

Look, this team is fighting, and they look a LOT better now than they did two weeks ago. We have, by far, the easiest path to the playoffs of the remaining teams in the East who are battling, and the most talent.

We've been pretty badly bitten by the injury bug, and our core guys are gassed after a long 82 game season. This is what happens in the NHL. And yet, despite all of that, this rebuilding squad is going to make the playoffs. Again. The sky is not falling. The world will spin on. And Detroit will be in the big dance once again. Will we win? Probably not. But give it a few years and look out, because we'll be on top of the world. Again. And I'll be d***ed if we don't shock a few people in the meantime. So let's all calm down, take a deep breath, and just appreciate that we have three intense, meaningful games left to close out a nail-biting and incredible regular season. If you can't be happy about that, then just stop watching. We'll be here when you get back.

Edited by Aethernum

Babcock's pretty honest in his post game assessments. He often says things like "we weren't prepared and that's on the coaching staff" or "we flat out weren't good enough and we deserved to lose" when they're applicable. He just didn't see the game the way you do. And, I don't think you want honesty - you want someone to s*** on the team because you're frustrated (as we all have been.) That wouldn't be constructive and hence Tortarella and Ron Wilson are unemployed.

Babcock's pretty honest in his post game assessments. He often says things like "we weren't prepared and that's on the coaching staff" or "we flat out weren't good enough and we deserved to lose" when they're applicable. He just didn't see the game the way you do. And, I don't think you want honesty - you want someone to s*** on the team because you're frustrated (as we all have been.) That wouldn't be constructive and hence Tortarella and Ron Wilson are unemployed.

Right, but how many times can the "team not be good enough" before changes are made or get started on time? We hear the same thing ever post game and the next game they come out flat again. I turned the game on and we were being outshot 11-2 in the 1st.

Also, why are we running the same lines out there. It's clearly not working.

Right, but how many times can the "team not be good enough" before changes are made or get started on time? We hear the same thing ever post game and the next game they come out flat again. I turned the game on and we were being outshot 11-2 in the 1st.

Also, why are we running the same lines out there. It's clearly not working.

I really don't think there is a magic line combination that will get this team playing better. Either the players step up or they will continue to suck.

Same failing lines, slow starts, repeated losses to the same exact teams no matter how important the game is, too many men on the ice once a game. Since 09 there has been a decline. But making the playoffs and being pretty competitive is still a feat. But the mantra for this year wasn't just to make the playoffs. This is a huge disappointment. Even another squeak in and out in the 1st around is an extreme disappointment. I'm still hoping they pull off 3 wins in a row and start resembling the team we saw about a month and a half ago but the odds are far off. It's rough to watch a team with a good amount of talent stumble at such a bad time. Can't even blame the defence or even the goaltending today. Now the offense can't pick up the slack.

Edited by GoWings!