• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

4/7 GDT : Carolina Hurricanes 2 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

Missed the game last night, but looks like putting Dats and Z back together worked fairly well. Also glad to see Weiss get another point. Now if we can get Abby and Cole back, and get those top lines shaken out, there's a chance we might be sitting in a reasonably good position in a week or two.

Seems like the fans of all four teams think they'll get in. Wings and Bruins fans think their team has a birthright to the playoffs and have too much experienced players not to make it. Pens fans think they'll get in because they have the best player in the world and always make the playoffs. Sens fans think they'll get in because they can't lose to anyone and are predestined to make it.

Someone will be sorely disappointed.

Glendening TOI: 18:43

Miller TOI: 18:53

Most of any forwards. In a game where the Wings had one penalty.

And people wonder why some of us want a new voice.

The Wings got only their 4th regulation win since the beginning of March (which seems about when the skid started).

I don't care if Miller plays 25 minutes a game and Glendening is the starting goaltender if it means the Wings win, especially in regulation.

(plus I'm guessing it was an aberration more than anything that will happen regularly)

The Wings got only their 4th regulation win since the beginning of March (which seems about when the skid started).

I don't care if Miller plays 25 minutes a game and Glendening is the starting goaltender if it means the Wings win, especially in regulation.

(plus I'm guessing it was an aberration more than anything that will happen regularly)

Agreed. I'm happy they won too, but I'm not sure that formula really maximizes the Wings chances of winning games against teams that aren't Carolina. Having your 4th line play more minutes than anyone else is really pushing your luck. Realistically, what other coach would do that in a playoff race? They might be fine defensively, though the Red Wings struggle to score goals at even strength, so why should Miller be out there more than Pavel Datsyuk?

It might be a slight aberration of nearly 19 minutes, but again the Wings only took one penalty last night and Glendening's line still ended up with that much ice time. They are still fairly consistently around 15 minutes otherwise most games. Just another curious personnel decision by Babcock -- he continuously has these obsessions with certain players.

Agreed. I'm happy they won too, but I'm not sure that formula really maximizes the Wings chances of winning games against teams that aren't Carolina. Having your 4th line play more minutes than anyone else is really pushing your luck. Realistically, what other coach would do that in a playoff race? They might be fine defensively, though the Red Wings struggle to score goals at even strength, so why should Miller be out there more than Pavel Datsyuk?

It might be a slight aberration of nearly 19 minutes, but again the Wings only took one penalty last night and Glendening's line still ended up with that much ice time. They are still fairly consistently around 15 minutes otherwise most games. Just another curious personnel decision by Babcock -- he continuously has these obsessions with certain players.

Babcock has lost his mind. There is no reason for Miller and Glenfiddich to play those kind of minutes. Just bad coaching. Datsyuk was amazing last night.

Ottawa is going to be crushed f they don't make it.

Boohoo. I won't shed a tear.

Babcock has lost his mind. There is no reason for Miller and Glenfiddich to play those kind of minutes. Just bad coaching. Datsyuk was amazing last night.

Boohoo. I won't shed a tear.

Only thing I can think of is that Babcock feels we will make playoffs no matter what, and he's trying his best to rest some of our better players without actually having them sit?

If not, his dedication to hard working, low skill players over skilled players who aren't defensive dynamos is going to be our undoing. It has been for a few years now.

Honestly I don't know what the hell has happened to this team so I don't know what maximizes their chances anymore.

I only caught the second half of the game so I can't really say for sure what the deal was with the goofy minutes. A lot of people here were complaining about effort, and Glendening and Miller always have a high compete level. In Babcock-land maybe that's why they were out there so much? Or a lot of it was in the third clinging to the lead? Weiss and Pulkkinen played few minutes even for them, so maybe he was going for ultimate puck responsibility.

It's certainly odd. If they end up with those kind of minutes again, then I'll start to worry. Right now I'm happy for the win.

Only thing I can think of is that Babcock feels we will make playoffs no matter what, and he's trying his best to rest some of our better players without actually having them sit?

If not, his dedication to hard working, low skill players over skilled players who aren't defensive dynamos is going to be our undoing. It has been for a few years now.

What I think will be our undoing is the Wings lack of even strength scoring. Which is probably a result of the issue you're raising. They've overachieved for much of this season in part because of their great power play.

I was shocked to find out they're 25 in the league in even strength goals. I knew they weren't great, but didn't realize it was that bad. That does not bode well for the playoffs.

Pavel had a great night, but he's obviously injured since he was a game-time decision. They were probably managing his minutes so that he didn't play too much.

We've been pretty sloppy with turnovers and defensive lapses. Miller and Glendening are great on the defensive side. 1st line was full of injuries, 2nd line (Tats, Nyquist) have players that have caused a lot of recent turnovers. 3rd line wasn't great last night (though Weiss had that amazing setup to Z on the PP). With all that in mind, 4th line played basic, defensively sound hockey (what we've needed recently) and were really solid so they played more than usual.