• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShereKhan

Erik Cole out for season, playoffs due to spinal cord contusion

Rate this topic

Wasn't there some conditions to that trade? Like how many games Cole plays and such?

I think it was the wings send the third pick back to Dallas if Detroit makes it to the conference final with Cole playing at least half the games.

Well that stinks. I gotta think if Mule was any kind of healthy he'd be in already

Yeah, Mule hasn't even practiced. You don't just come back from a concussion after so long. He would usually have to skate alone, then practice, maybe even a GR stint (though that probably wouldn't work at this point of the year).

Would love Franzen back, but it seems very unlikely at this point.

Too bad Cole - It would have been great to have him. To me, this means that Pulkinnen is with us for the playoffs and Weiss will need to play a larger role.

My kingdom for a Drew Stafford right about now!

On the plus side, at least Detroit gets to keep the 3rd round pick that came over with Cole in the trade. So final tally is Janmark, Backman, and a 2nd for Zidlicky and a 3rd.

Still a good trade considering what a ***** Backman is.

Guest Playmaker

His speed was really a surprise to me. As much as it sucks for the fans, can't imagine how he's feeling.

Interrupting this post for a brief grammar pet peeve...

Could HAVE, not could "of".

Now back to your previously scheduled programming.

His speed was really a surprise to me. As much as it sucks for the fans, can't imagine how he's feeling.

Interrupting this post for a brief grammar pet peeve...

Could HAVE, not could "of".

Now back to your previously scheduled programming.

Thank you! I would hate to use my once a year post to complain about grammar, definitely more fun using it to thank someone for stepping in and doing so...

And on topic, man that sucks for Cole. I really liked the trade and was hoping for good things. Hope he recovers for the next season!

I'm interested to know the details of his "contusion" it could be pretty damn serious but I read somewhere he skated this morning? Hopefully he's able to return next season, those injuries could be career ending. Glad he's being cautious about it.

Terrible news. Health is more important than hockey right now for Cole, hope he can get well soon. This reminds me of the Mike Modano signing. We had Mike in the lineup for only 40 games before he suffered a career ending injury. Cole only played 11 games before his injury. Yikes.

I'm interested to know the details of his "contusion" it could be pretty damn serious but I read somewhere he skated this morning? Hopefully he's able to return next season, those injuries could be career ending. Glad he's being cautious about it.

Read earlier that the injury had something to do with when he broke his neck in the 2006 season. A number of doctors told him it's in his best interest to take the rest of the season off, or risk even worse career ending permanent damage. So I guess he COULD play, but it would be stupid of him to do so. He can still skate, but that's it.

Sadly I just lump this Cole news in with all the other terrible things that have happened to our beloved Wings. Modano was supposed to come in and give us one of the best third lines in hockey.

If I remember correctly Igor Grigorenko was supposed to be a special young player and was never the same after a terrible car wreck.

Jiri Fischer was going to be at worst the best #3 Dman in the NHL and his heart stops.

Franzen has been labeled a sucky floater by most (including me) it turns out he's probaby had 10 concussions or something. I understand his playing timid now.

#16.

I know injuries are part of life but we've had some awful things happen that really get me down thinking about it.

Sadly I just lump this Cole news in with all the other terrible things that have happened to our beloved Wings. Modano was supposed to come in and give us one of the best third lines in hockey.

If I remember correctly Igor Grigorenko was supposed to be a special young player and was never the same after a terrible car wreck.

Jiri Fischer was going to be at worst the best #3 Dman in the NHL and his heart stops.

Franzen has been labeled a sucky floater by most (including me) it turns out he's probaby had 10 concussions or something. I understand his playing timid now.

#16.

I know injuries are part of life but we've had some awful things happen that really get me down thinking about it.

Add Bertuzzi to that one. He was fairly productive here, but man, I wish we had him in his Vancouver days.

And ya, what happened to #16 was by far the worst. Such a great player coming off a cup win..in one night his career was over. Devastating. So bittersweet to win the cup again for him the next season.

I couldn't agree more.

I don't want to get flagged for going too far OT with a subject like Bertuzzi being so touchy but I have to admit his story was pretty awful. He never wanted to end a poor guys career and have his own career diminished in the process. Big Bert was never the same. He was awesome.

(Especially in shootouts)

I couldn't agree more.

I don't want to get flagged for going too far OT with a subject like Bertuzzi being so touchy but I have to admit his story was pretty awful. He never wanted to end a poor guys career and have his own career diminished in the process. Big Bert was never the same. He was awesome.

(Especially in shootouts)

Yeah. I always kinda held out hope that he'd all of a sudden turn into the Big Bert of old and fly around hitting everything, but it was not to be. Besides the Moore troubles, his injuries limited him. He could'nt even stick with Binghampton this year. 2 games then knee surgery. Won't be surprised if he retires.

Yeah. I always kinda held out hope that he'd all of a sudden turn into the Big Bert of old and fly around hitting everything, but it was not to be. Besides the Moore troubles, his injuries limited him. He could'nt even stick with Binghampton this year. 2 games then knee surgery. Won't be surprised if he retires.

Binghamton*. My biggest pet peeve.

What ??!! When did that happen. Bummer indeed.

Looks like it happened against Arizona and could threaten the rest of his playing career.... :(

...after playing just 11 games, Cole has been advised by doctors that the collision he had two weeks ago with Arizona forward Lauri Korpikoski was a season-ending one.

The 36-year-old Cole, who won a Stanley Cup with Carolina in 2006, suffered a spine contusion on March 24 that more than likely threatens the rest of his playing career.

Via the wings official site:

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=762164