• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings7

Definition of a real fan

Rate this topic

I noticed in the Game Day Thread there was a lot of talk about what a real fan is.

What do you think the answer is?

Are real fans not allowed to be negative? I know some people feel this way. I think it's bulls***. You should be allowed to care. Complain. And want more from your team.

Like sneaking into the playoffs to me isn't good enough for Detroit. It wouldn't be good enough for Scotty or Yzerman, so why is it for Zetterberg or Babcock?

Let's talk it out.

I'm not trying to bait anyone. Nor upset anyone.

I think it's interesting.

I personally don't think you have to always be positive.

I also think making it it's own discussion and thread will probably give it more value. That's all.

I noticed in the Game Day Thread there was a lot of talk about what a real fan is.

What do you think the answer is?

Are real fans not allowed to be negative? I know some people feel this way. I think it's bulls***. You should be allowed to care. Complain. And want more from your team.

Like sneaking into the playoffs to me isn't good enough for Detroit. It wouldn't be good enough for Scotty or Yzerman, so why is it for Zetterberg or Babcock?

Let's talk it out.

2.an implement of feathers, leaves, paper, cloth, etc., often in the shape of a long triangle or of a semicircle, for waving lightly in the hand to create a cooling current of air about a person:

"We sat on the veranda, cooling ourselves with palm fronds. You know, the real fans, not those fair-weather poser fans that have to be turned on and are only cool when they're near the ceiling."

this wasn't meant to be taken seriously, or as a metaphor, I just thought it was funny...

But for realreals there's not really a wrong way to be a fan, as long as you (1.) produce a current of air by the movement of a broad surface or a number of such surfaces.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

2.an implement of feathers, leaves, paper, cloth, etc., often in the shape of a long triangle or of a semicircle, for waving lightly in the hand to create a cooling current of air about a person:

"We sat on the veranda, cooling ourselves with palm fronds. You know, the real fans, not those fair-weather poser fans that have to be turned on and are only cool when they're near the ceiling."

I hate and love that you decided to respond like this hahaha

I have an authentic Larry Murphy jersey.

I'm in, right?

Only if you can get him back in the FSD booth....thoughts?

Let's see how long this can go without being shut down. Seriously. Let's think of it as a challenge.

Personally, I think every fan has a right to be negative. I get mad at this team all the time. For me, the important thing is putting into perspective later on - weeding out the reactive stuff from the "this is actually an issue" stuff. Initially, I was upset with the way Detroit clinched, then I read the article where Babcock said he didn't think this team was even a contender in July. It's easy to think "wow, they p***** it away", but really... they made it. Who cares how? Los Angeles and Boston are out, and the Red Wings just keep rolling. Model of consistency. I lost my perspective in the mess that was March, but I'm appreciative that this team has been this good for this long.

I think we're always going to look at another fan who views aspects of this team differently and say, "that's not how to be a fan". It's just how it is...

Real fans have mustard stains

Real fans have both.

One from their meat tube, and the other from showing truculence to prevent the use of the other condiment in the future.

Throwing the dispensers into the microwave is the nuclear option.

I hate and love that you decided to respond like this hahaha

I'm not going to lie.

Its probably some of my best work, and is deserving of some sort of mettle.

A real fan is someone who wants the team to win and is at least somewhat annoyed when they don't.

That's it. That's the bare minimum of being a fan. Anything extra doesn't make someone less of a fan. I wish some of the numbskulls who have argued otherwise over the years would understand that.

I think as fans we can get mad when our team doesnt perform, i mean to an extent... every team will have bad games but the month of march i was not happy with the wings:p. But to me a real fan is a person who always stands by the team, even through months of march:p. Id still love the wings even if they were dead last!

Can we just agree that none of the mods here are "real fans"?

I mean, Harold is a Kings fan/slappy and the rest of the mods never post anymore. Obviously, they couldn't handle the mediocrity of this team.

I just assume they're too busy dredging through the miles of dross we create to be able to post much.

Can we just agree that none of the mods here are "real fans"?

I mean, Harold is a Kings fan/slappy and the rest of the mods never post anymore. Obviously, they couldn't handle the mediocrity of this team.

Wings who?

Actually modding doesn't lend itself to regular posting, unfortunately. I've been a mod longer than a lot of folks around here have been members and my post count is half of theirs. And half of that post count is modding posts.

I don't think one's reaction to the result of a game necessarily has to do with being a fan or not. I think it relies more on if you like a team or not, and why. If you like a team because their name sounds cool or they recently won a Cup, you're probably at best a bandwagon fan until you educate yourself a little more and get invested to the point where you don't ditch them as soon as they start losing. On the other hand, if you truly care about how well they're doing and stick with them even when they're not adequately performing, then I would say you're a true fan. Reactions to games are just that, reactions, and nothing more. Different kinds of fans react differently. There's the overly pessimistic, the realist, the optimistic, the "homers", the ride the high's and berate the lows, etc. It takes all kinds to have a fanbase, otherwise we'd all have the exact same opinions and feelings and it would become very boring very quickly.

What is a fan?

Well, a fan is a man

(Or a gal, if she sits whilst

She leaks in the can).

A fan has a team,

And the team has a dream,

And the dream of the team

'S of the crop to be cream.

The fan shares the goal,

And invests heart and soul,

But the role of the soul

Goes from shy to *******.

The shy fans say "swell"

When the team's doing well,

Then they scurry the hell

Back to dwell in their shell.

The vocal fans yell

And their veins start to swell

If a diver should sell

Or the PP won't gel.

Some point out the lack

Of a skill or a sac,

And a player attack

If they think he should pack.

Some feel it's their duty

To cheer and be root-y

And not give a hoot-y

If some think that's fruity.

But all of the types follow one common theme-

In good and in bad, their team is their team.