• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwings56

Brendan Smith

Rate this topic

If there is already a thread with Smith trending please move this one (I'd be surprised if there isn't one already bashing him).

I need to vent and hear others state their displeasure of his play. I'd like to "as of late" but he truly has not shown any upside since he entered the NHL. Effort level defensively is non existent and his decision making skills are suspect. I guess there isn't any one better to input in his spot but MAN he's gotta go!

He will be the reason the red wings lose a game if not a series this playoffs

Edited by redwings56

What frustrates me most about Smith is he'll occasionally have a good stretch of games and then right when you start thinking along the lines of "okay, looks like he could be trending toward the solid defenseman we hoped he would" and then he'll have a couple bad games and regress right back to me not being a fan of his play..

I understand everyone goes through growing pains and all that but, at what point does the inconsistency stop being considered "growing pains" and become just a part of who that player is?

What frustrates me most about Smith is he'll occasionally have a good stretch of games and then right when you start thinking along the lines of "okay, looks like he could be trending toward the solid defenseman we hoped he would" and then he'll have a couple bad games and regress right back to me not being a fan of his play..

I understand everyone goes through growing pains and all that but, at what point does the inconsistency stop being considered "growing pains" and become just a part of who that player is?

Who knows. I'm still waiting for Ericsson to grow out of some of his "growing pains."

I'm in the camp that wants us to get rid of Smith. He's dumb. I've said that for years and it's still the case. Trade him while they still are seen as growing pains.

Who knows. I'm still waiting for Ericsson to grow out of some of his "growing pains."

I'm in the camp that wants us to get rid of Smith. He's dumb. I've said that for years and it's still the case. Trade him while they still are seen as growing pains.

I wouldn't be opposed.. trade him in a package for a top two d man, move Ericsson to the third pairing and our defense shouldn't look too bad.

If only top two d men were ever available..

Brendan smith doesn't have a longterm future in detroit especially with marchenko ouellet jensen sproul waiting to get a shot

He could very possibly be dealt to toronto this off season in a deal for Phaneuf ... Just watching yesterday's hockeycentral and there saying Phaneuf wanted to be a wing and was feeling like s*** when he wasn't dealt to the wings on deadline day

Anyway you look at it smith will be gone in 1-2 yrs

I really thought I was missing something when Marchenko was sent down but in my eyes he's better in every facet of the game and deserved a full time spot on the team over Smith. I only say Smith because Quincey is our best crease clearing Dman and wouldn't want him out for Marchenko.

I do think that Smith has largely played very well most nights though.

I think Smith is strong on the puck, has better defensive positioning than in previous seasons and is quicker than some of the other defenders on this team.

What kills me the most are the turnovers. You can almost always count on Smith having the puck behind/around the Wings' net and putting it on the other team's stick two-three times in a game. Those bury your team. At some point, he should have realized how to make those simple plays. It baffles me that he's never been able to refine that aspect of his game. Then, of course, the stupid penalties...

Either way, I expect him to play tomorrow. I'd be shocked if Babcock didn't give Kronwall a rest.

Brendan smith doesn't have a longterm future in detroit especially with marchenko ouellet jensen sproul waiting to get a shot

He could very possibly be dealt to toronto this off season in a deal for Phaneuf ... Just watching yesterday's hockeycentral and there saying Phaneuf wanted to be a wing and was feeling like s*** when he wasn't dealt to the wings on deadline day

Anyway you look at it smith will be gone in 1-2 yrs

The problem is that, when they were prospects, we were looking at Smith (and Kindl) with the same wide-eyed reverence that we now place on these other prospects you mentioned. No one knows if any of these four players will be good enough to take Smith's job.

Was just thinking the same about Smith being packaged this summer for Phaneuf, but I sorta get the feeling that it won't happen...Oh well.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nick-kypreos-dion-phaneuf-upset-he-want-traded-to-detroit-red-wings/

It could happen.

I also wouldn't object to moving him up to forward permanently.

Then we can use him like a utility guy when we have an injury mid game...

He's got the speed and offensive instincts to do it.

Obviously we don't see the work ethic behind the scenes and there's something that keeps him in the lineup. Babs has a reason im sure, but at what point does his turnovers become too much of a detriment. I'd prefer he be removed from the lineup. His effort level isn't up to par

Edited by redwings56

Smith seems like he would serve way better as a forward. The only time he does anything remotely helpful is when he joins a rush.

And scores all those points for us? Lol.

If his offensive game is his "most helpful" contribution then he's worse than I thought. He's produced less offense than every other defenseman we have. Including Kindl...who doesn't even play regularly.

Do you guys honestly think Smith's going to be smarter with the puck at forward...when he has the puck more? I don't want that dingbat touching a puck ever again.

Like, seriously. If I were near Brendan Smith and he tried to reach down a pick up a puck to put it back in the bin at a sporting goods store, I'd still punch him.

Moving from forward to defense or defense to forward at the NHL level is not as easy as it sounds. They're completely different positions with different responsibilities, skill sets, etc. A few guys can do it reasonably well, but most can't. Moving Smith to forward is one of the dumbest things I've heard in awhile.

Moving from forward to defense or defense to forward at the NHL level is not as easy as it sounds. They're completely different positions with different responsibilities, skill sets, etc. A few guys can do it reasonably well, but most can't. Moving Smith to forward is one of the dumbest things I've heard in awhile.

I would agree.

If he didn't play at forward for about two weeks last season.

He wasn't bad.

And if he was on the wing he'd touch the puck less than he does now... and he wouldn't be relied upon as heavily in the defensive zone.

I dont understand how you think moving his defensive assignment further away from his own net is a bad thing, if he really is as bad a player as is being said.

Not saying its a great plan, or he's gonna be the next Brent burns or anything, but he's shown he can do it in a grinding role.

Smith has been a total disappointment to me. I had high hopes for him, like a lot of us did. He has not only not progressed at all, but he has absolutely no hockey smarts at all, and makes some of the dumbest plays ever.

Like another poster said, it is pretty much guaranteed that in every game he plays, at some point he will have the puck behind his own net and instead of making the most basic hockey play and safely moving it out, he throws it right to one of the opponents. It is so frustrating.

On a side note, this thread is a rarity. How many other times do we all basically agree about a player?

People only agree about Smith because of the bonehead penalty last night. Not a month ago the general concensus on LGW was that "Smith's been our best defenseman lately". There were A LOT of people around here saying he should be put on the top pair lol. Of course, it wasn't smart then and it isn't now. It's just that the narrative has changed now. Reminds me of Quincey last year. He was "terrible" all season long, until Babs praised his play, and then suddenly he "turned it around". Which was silly too.

Smith has been bad to mediocre all year. Anybody who'd bothered to look would have seen exactly that. But nobody bothered, for whatever reason. Now people can't say enough how "stupid" he is. And he is. And always has been. As Forrest Gump might very well have said on the subject, "Stupid is as stupid was".

Edited by kipwinger

Then apparently you don't visit this forum much.

On a semi-serious note, Smith has played forward several times at the NHL and AHL levels. He even started at least one game this year. He wasn't Dustin Byfuglien but he created some chances.