• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

43-25-14......3rd seed in Division. Success or Failure?

Rate this topic

As everyone knows, we played our final regular season game today, and we finished 43-25-14 and got the 3rd seed in the Atlantic division (equivalent to 6th seed in the conference).

Was this regular season a success or a failure?

Edited by kliq

I think we overachieved. People expect the young kids to continuously improve and play at a top level, but I don't think that was probabilistically the most likely outcome. If Nyquist and Tatar hit sophomore slumps, and the young defense and PK regressed, this team could've had a terrible regular season record. All the questionable pieces came together, for the most part, probably because of the excellent coaching staff. Babcock said that he thought the Wings had "no chance" before the season started, which is very telling. The young guys stepped up and achieved, and it turned a losing team into a winning team. Would've been tough to predict that last summer.

I think we slightly underachieved based on our roster. I really like the kids on this team, and I think they could have done a bit better, but unfortunately they hit a huge roadblock after the trade-deadline. But that's a pretty common thing for young teams, consistency is typically one of the last skills for young players in any sport to pick up.

I also think Howard's injury hurt this team badly, I don't believe that its a coincidence that his sub par return happened to coincide with our D starting to get exposed. I think his great play early in the year may have hid some things.

Overall its our best placing in a few years, and the most points we have gotten in the post Lidstrom era. A lot of our kids are showing they have what it takes to play in this league at a high level, and I would say I am satisfied with this season. I do think we could have done better, but we're a young team and we had a very rough stretch to end the season.

Lets hope we can make a run and give these kids some much needed playoff experience! Funny that we are facing TB in the playoffs, the team everybody was comparing us to in the off-season.

Just like Babcock I didn't think this team had any business of making the playoffs. Now they did so I'm positively surprised.

That being said the team has fallen of a cliff in March and their reward is now playing a far superior team in one of the deepest drafts ever.

Tatar had a great season, Nyquist a good one, Danny and Sheahan great season. Also nice to see that Abdelkader is finally using his frame.

Disappointed: Z, Kronwall, big E, Smith.

Edited by frankgrimes

A bit of both. A Sucksess, if you will. It's only dissapointing because of how good the team played at the beginning of the year.

It was a tale of 2 seasons and we want to be the team of the first 2 3rds. I think our recipe to get there is clear: get better goaltending from Jimmy and Mrazek, Improve the D, and one or 2 more steady contributers on the front end. For the last point, think of how different it might have gone if Mule played the whole season and Jurco had played the way he did last year.

Definitely a step forward though on the whole, though. Perceptions will change if the Wings get it together for the playoffs so LGW!

Just like Babcock I didn't think this team had any business of making the playoffs. Now they did so I'm positively surprised. That being said the team has fallen of a cliff in March and their reward is now playing a far superior team in one of the deepest drafts ever. Tatar had a great season, Nyquist a good one, Danny and Sheahan great season. Also nice to see that Abdelkader is finally using his frame. Disappointed: Z, Kronwall, big E, Smith.

The funny thing is that with the new playoff structure even if they got 9 more points this season and finished with 109, we would still be facing TB in the first round, just with home ice advantage. I kind of wish they went back to the 1-8 seeding. Though I guess this new structure does put more of an emphasis on divisional games.

Montreal's reward for winning the division is a red hot Ottawa, they cant be loving that right now. That's the last team I would want to play. I don't see them winning the cup or anything, but I see them taking a top seed or two out while they are hot.

Just like Babcock I didn't think this team had any business of making the playoffs. Now they did so I'm positively surprised. That being said the team has fallen of a cliff in March and their reward is now playing a far superior team in one of the deepest drafts ever. Tatar had a great season, Nyquist a good one, Danny and Sheahan great season. Also nice to see that Abdelkader is finally using his frame. Disappointed: Z, Kronwall, big E, Smith.

The funny thing is that with the new playoff structure even if they got 9 more points this season and finished with 109, we would still be facing TB in the first round, just with home ice advantage. I kind of wish they went back to the 1-8 seeding. Though I guess this new structure does put more of an emphasis on divisional games.

Montreal's reward for winning the division is a red hot Ottawa, they cant be loving that right now. That's the last team I would want to play. I don't see them winning the cup or anything, but I see them taking a top seed or two out while they are hot.

Fully agreed the new format simply sucks but I'm not surprised the NHL front office contains too many bad apples.

Montreal will go as far as price can take them. Hammond is hot right now and the Sens are high flying this series could go either way...if course hoping for a Sens win soooooo happy for Murray.

Fully agreed the new format simply sucks but I'm not surprised the NHL front office contains too many bad apples. Montreal will go as far as price can take them. Hammond is hot right now and the Sens are high flying this series could go either way...if course hoping for a Sens win soooooo happy for Murray.

Hammond's record is unreal, the guy is 20-1-2! Agreed on Murray, the guy definitely deserves this. Whats happening to him outside of hockey is absolutely horrible.

Success overall. Failure for a lot of individuals.

Quincey - lived up fairly well to his contract that pissed a lot of us off.

Smith - fail

Tatar/Nyquist - success

Abby - success

Sheahan - sucess

Weiss - sucks to be him, fail in babs eyes

Jurco - fail

Ericsson - fail

Datsyuk - success, but injuries dont look good, starting to remind me of Steve Yzerman's knee issues.

Zetterberg - fail (I love Z but this was by far one of his worst seasons in point production. He knows it and so do we). I expect him to have a breakout season next year tho. He's had crappy seasons in the past and responded with successful seasons after.

Howard - success then fail

Mrazek - success (gained a lot of experience)

Overall - 100 points, into the playoffs? Success. The team effort balanced out in the end. Young players have progressed well and certain players have proven they shouldnt be on the roster.

Edited by kickazz

Smith - fail

Tatar/Nyquist - success

Abby - success

Sheahan - sucess

Jurco - fail

Ericsson - fail

Datsyuk - success

Zetterberg - fail (I love Z but this was by far one of his worst seasons in point production. He knows it and so do we). I expect him to have a breakout season next year tho.

Howard - fail

Overall - 100 points, into the playoffs? Success. The team effort balanced out in the end.

I agree with pretty much everything except Howard as I feel you have to grade him twice. In the first half he was one of the best goalies in the league, he had a GAA of 2.08 (if that still stood he would have finished 3rd in the NHL) and was in the discussion when talking about the Vezina. In the second half (post injury) he was awful.

Tough to judge with simply a pass or fail. He still was a HUGE part in the 100 points we got, stole a lot of games early.

I agree with pretty much everything except Howard as I feel you have to grade him twice. In the first half he was one of the best goalies in the league, he had a GAA of 2.08 (if that still stood he would have finished 3rd in the NHL) and was in the discussion when talking about the Vezina. In the second half (post injury) he was awful.

Tough to judge with simply a pass or fail. He still was a HUGE part in the 100 points we got, stole a lot of games early.

Agreed. See edit.

Smith - fail

Tatar/Nyquist - success

Abby - success

Sheahan - sucess

Jurco - fail

Ericsson - fail

Datsyuk - success, but injuries dont look good, starting to remind me of Steve Yzerman's knee issues.

Zetterberg - fail (I love Z but this was by far one of his worst seasons in point production. He knows it and so do we). I expect him to have a breakout season next year tho. He's had crappy seasons in the past and responded with successful seasons after.

Howard - success then fail

Overall - 100 points, into the playoffs? Success. The team effort balanced out in the end. Young players have progressed well and certain players have proven they shouldnt be on the roster.

Zetterberg.

Leads team in points. 2014-15.

Is healthy for almost a full season. 77 games played.

When asked by reporters last night to respond to 'genius-best-coach-ever' coach's comments about "not thinking the team was a playoff team" back on July 5th said, with a grin, "you should have asked me because I thought we were a playoff team back in July"

Yep. Complete fail. What a loser.

In order to call the season a success or not, we have to wait to see how the team performs in the playoffs. Success equals bettering than last year. Failure means doing the same or worst

Last year, we got in (with a lesser talented roster than this year) and were outplayed and lost to Boston in 5. In order for this season to be a success, we have to do better than that. I would like to see us get into 2nd round, even if we lose in 2nd, that's still progress = success. If we lose again in round 1 ... then I think it's a wash.

So, let me get back to you after round 1.

Zetterberg.

When asked by reporters last night to respond to 'genius-best-coach-ever' coach's comments about "not thinking the team was a playoff team" back on July 5th said, with a grin, "you should have asked me because I thought we were a playoff team back in July"

I dont think he was saying Z was a loser, just that Z wasnt playing to the level that we are used to seeing him play, the bar is very high. I'm sure its because of injuries/natural regression and you cant fault the guy for that at all. He gives it his all, and that's all you can ask for.

In order to call the season a success or not, we have to wait to see how the team performs in the playoffs. Success equals bettering than last year. Failure means doing the same or worst

Last year, we got in (with a lesser talented roster than this year) and were outplayed and lost to Boston in 5. In order for this season to be a success, we have to do better than that. I would like to see us get into 2nd round, even if we lose in 2nd, that's still progress = success. If we lose again in round 1 ... then I think it's a wash.

So, let me get back to you after round 1.

My point with posting this thread now, was I wanted to get a idea for what people were thinking before the playoffs started. I wanted a true reflection of the regular season. Once the playoffs start, people will forget the regular season and just focus on the playoffs (and rightfully so).

I dont think he was saying Z was a loser, just that Z wasnt playing to the level that we are used to seeing him play, the bar is very high. I'm sure its because of injuries/natural regression and you cant fault the guy for that at all. He gives it his all, and that's all you can ask for.

Exactly I still like the guy a lot I mean, Z will play through anything if its possible guy has set the bar sooo high so expectations for him are often - fair or unfair - different. Pasha and Z are the two last remaining (super)stars on this team and I would have loved seeing them get another cup or at least not having to stand up for themselves..

As far as Howard goes, before the injury success after that so-so.

Zetterberg.

First of all: You shouldn't take something out of context and try to start an argument when simple opinions are expressed. That's just silly.

Second of all:

- The thread was in regards to "success" or "failure" I'm merely using the OP's specific words in adding them to a post in my own objective way. The OP could have used synonyms such as "triumph" and "decline" and I would have used the words accordingly.

a) How you got my use of OP's word "fail" and equated it to "loser" I have no idea. Please do explain.

- Just because Zetterberg lead the team in points and played 77 games doesn't mean it was a successful season by his standards. His standards. I'll repeat. His standards.

a) Zetterberg has a higher potential than 66 points in 77 games. Mark my words he will have a better season next year. He's just the type that doesn't quit.

- The statement you quoted is showing his Captaincy and communication with the media, NOT his points per season or overall performance. Who here is questioning his leadership? No one.

Additionally, Z is one of my favorite players next to Datsyuk and I've happened to meet him plenty of times in real life and have expressed my opinion that he's been the best captain in the league since 2013. At one point I even said "idk why the NHL thinks Toews is the best captain, cuz we all know you are" and the response I got was a smile. Hope you enjoyed that story ;)