• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

The Future

Rate this topic

..before you get upset, this is not another "What the team will look like next season" thread nor is it a "What I/You think this team needs" one.

It's simply this, even though it was The Hurricanes, but this is the first time we got to see the "future wings" play a game. That is, without our current leaders. That being said, sure the current leaders still have a few more years left to tutor and pass on experience to these guys, but soon the team, for the most part, you saw yesterday is going to be the team that carries on the torch and tradition.

Are you happy with the way the "new blood" handled the game yesterday and what impressed you the most or who?

I am so impressed time after time with how the Wings have so much new blood, yet can continue to not turn into to a "rebuild" team like Edmonton is, Chicago and Pitt were and like Buffalo is going to be. It's simply amazing that players like Marchenko can come up and just play like he has been here and actually play better than Vets that have been here a few. Can't say enough about Mrazek, once he finds that consistency he looks like he is going to be lights out. Nyquist and Tatar along with Sheahan? My goodness, I can think of no less than 29 other teams that would sell their wives to have that trio on their team.

All in all, IMO, this team has the brightest future of at least 95% of the rest of the NHL, and the other 5% their future is starting right now or next year. Once Pav and Z hang em up, these "kids" if we can even call them that anymore, are going to have so much more knowledge and experience, the Red Wings future, which may not start for another 3-4 years, is going to launch this organization into a new orbit. I can only hope that these players (and the projected ones in GR) continue the direction they are headed!

Oh and I think the biggest reason the team can play so well without their leaders, most of these kids played and won a Championship together in GR. They know each other and know each other well!

Good on you Kenny Holland, for as many of us that question your draft picks, you just keep proving us wrong! Keep it up Kenny!

There is no reason that this (future) team cannot keep this winning tradition up for years and years!

..before you get upset, this is not another "What the team will look like next season" thread nor is it a "What I/You think this team needs" one.

It's simply this, even though it was The Hurricanes, but this is the first time we got to see the "future wings" play a game. That is, without our current leaders. That being said, sure the current leaders still have a few more years left to tutor and pass on experience to these guys, but soon the team, for the most part, you saw yesterday is going to be the team that carries on the torch and tradition.

Are you happy with the way the "new blood" handled the game yesterday and what impressed you the most or who?

I am so impressed time after time with how the Wings have so much new blood, yet can continue to not turn into to a "rebuild" team like Edmonton is, Chicago and Pitt were and like Buffalo is going to be. It's simply amazing that players like Marchenko can come up and just play like he has been here and actually play better than Vets that have been here a few. Can't say enough about Mrazek, once he finds that consistency he looks like he is going to be lights out. Nyquist and Tatar along with Sheahan? My goodness, I can think of no less than 29 other teams that would sell their wives to have that trio on their team.

All in all, IMO, this team has the brightest future of at least 95% of the rest of the NHL, and the other 5% their future is starting right now or next year. Once Pav and Z hang em up, these "kids" if we can even call them that anymore, are going to have so much more knowledge and experience, the Red Wings future, which may not start for another 3-4 years, is going to launch this organization into a new orbit. I can only hope that these players (and the projected ones in GR) continue the direction they are headed!

Oh and I think the biggest reason the team can play so well without their leaders, most of these kids played and won a Championship together in GR. They know each other and know each other well!

Good on you Kenny Holland, for as many of us that question your draft picks, you just keep proving us wrong! Keep it up Kenny!

There is no reason that this (future) team cannot keep this winning tradition up for years and years!

Good post Lefty! I like it!

I agree with you Dickie. Although there is "potential" in GR and even younger in our system, the "near" future doesn't show much of a legit #1 center. Sheahan and Helm and possibly Glendening will probably still be around after Z and Pav are gone, but outside of that, will we be able to develope one that is maybe in GR now, or will we have to wait for a "newer" draft pick to become that guy?

Right now, the line of Nyquist - Sheahan - Tatar when played together is a great line, even if you had Jurco on it and put Nyquist on another scoring line, its still a great line...but is it or will it be great enough in 4-5 years to be our #1 line? I think Tatar and Nyquist both have top line potential, but will Sheahan develope his game even more to be a #1 center?

I think we are in good hands with him as a top 6 center, and even as impressed as we all are with that line, are they top line material? Will the prospect of a Larkin/Mantha combo become a top line in the NHL? Can either of them be as good as Pav/Z together or Getzlaf/Perry? They are still part of the distant future, but the near future is here now, and with Oullet and Marchenko NHL ready, they are part of it. I think after watching how the "young" players stepped up yesterday, we will be in great shape in the "near" future as well as the distant future. But yes, the lack of that lights out #1 center is a bit concerning. Maybe that guy gets signed as a FA or a trade is made in years to come. Once Pav and Z are gone, maybe there will be a 27 year old UFA center out there who is ripe for the picking, we won't know until that day comes, but after watching yesterday, I'd say this team is in great shape to reamain competitive enough to keep making the playoffs, even after our leaders are retired...

Larkin is the best bet to be a #1 center. If they have 2 high end wings, they can get away with a bit lesser center, like the Ducks had with Kariya-Rucchin-Selanne, but I'd feel better with a better center than Sheahan.

With Mantha, Larkin, Athanasiou, Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan, they should be able to come up with 2 pretty good lines though.

I love our future, I have never been so excited to be a Wings fan. I remember back in 2011 when I looked at this roster the future scared me. I knew we were getting older, and Lidstrom, D, Z, Kronwall etc. only had so many years left. In the old days Holland would have just gone shopping, but those days are gone. What he has been able to do to this roster impresses the hell out of me.

As far as a #1 center, we have Larkin, AA, and Sheahan. I'm pretty confident one of them will turn into it, or be a part of a package to be traded for one.

There is no clear #1 center or D in the system. There are a couple guys who might get there, but far from guaranteed. That's my major concern.

That's what happens when you make the playoffs 24 years straight, you don't always have sure things. Kenny has done an amazing job building and retooling this team. Others might disagree because they are spoiled and don't get the new shiny toy every year like we used to get.

Holland and the scouts are the reason this team is still relevant.

That's what happens when you make the playoffs 24 years straight, you don't always have sure things. Kenny has done an amazing job building and retooling this team. Others might disagree because they are spoiled and don't get the new shiny toy every year like we used to get.

Holland and the scouts are the reason this team is still relevant.

Blashill and the Griffins management, in general, deserve a ton of credit as well.

There is no clear #1 center or D in the system. There are a couple guys who might get there, but far from guaranteed. That's my major concern.

Without a top pick like RNH, I think all you can ask for is to have picks that might get there. We have at least two with Larkin and AA. Larkin has done about as well as possible for prospect at his stage of development and plays the perfect style of game to be a high end center. Our need for a top center is probably at least 4 years away. We'll also add more prospects in that time. I feel pretty optimistic.

It seems likely that Sheahan will develop into a #2 center. We have Larkin and AA who will vie for the other top 3 center spots. Helm can also go back to being a center on the 3rd line. Glendening will lock up that 4th line spot for years to come.

As for D - DD has a great potential to develop into a top pairing player. He already looks like our #2 and this was his first 82 game season.

Puke.

Ew.

Settle down.

We won 2-0 with an empty net goal against one of the worst teams in the league.

We got outshot, too.

Tatar and Nyquist should be traded while their stock is high.

Smith, Tatar, Pulk and a pick for Phaneuf and Kessel

Yeah our depth prospect is great we just need to get a hold of that bonafide top 3 forward and #1dman and we have a bright future

Luckily we have a few years for either one of our prospects to surprise us, or for Holland to sign somebody

Edited by WingsallTheway

I understand that it's hard to get #1 centers or D drafting this low. It doesn't change the fact that there aren't any sure things in the system. That's why I was willing to sell the farm to get OEL. Sproul is the only D in the system who has a legit shot of getting there, and he's far from a sure thing. The other guys project as 2-4 guys at best. Center looks a little better. I really like Larkin. AA looks more like a winger to me though.