• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
roboturner

Babcock: Petr Mrazek is starting Game 1

Rate this topic

Hey everyone I am new to the forums but I have been a die hard Wings fan since 1990 when Fedorov signed been a loyal and dedicated fan since then. I feel good about this change up although Howie has been the go to goalie for the last 5 years I have to admit a change in playoffs starting choice this year is a welcomed change for me. I can see Babcock's angle Mrazek needs more playoff exposure but as we know this can make or break a goalie what better way to be baptized by fire then to test the waters 1st night huge game opener its a test to handle pressure and see how Mrazek performs. I am looking forward to this game The Lightening is no cake walk team and its going to be a great opener in this series. Mrazek can stop the 5 hole shots better then Howie in my opinion. If your like me your tired of asking yourself why Howard stopped this incredible shot but then lets a weak shot in that you know he should have stopped. Howard is a great goaltender the stats show this but if you can't remain consistent during playoffs from game to game then its not a hard choice. I have been watching Mrazek since the grand rapid griffins acquired him and I had a good feeling he would become howard's replacement within several years IF he delivers. I am not writing Howie off either but the proof is in the pudding, he needs to tighten up his game and become consistent rather then unpredictable. Mrazek has been given the green light to prove himself worthy he just need to take the reigns and deliver tonight. That being said the team if they cover the ice as needed and I know they will should be a solid game. Best of luck to the wings and I will be watching the game tonight. Game on! :)

It's a make or break scenario. Mrazek shined in the AHL under pressure and lead the Griffins to Calder Cup champion. He can handle pressure but then again it is the NHL he's either going to shine or struggle. I am confident it will be the first latter of the two. Good luck Mrazek I am going to give you my full faith this is start of good things for you now suit up!

As I suspected, this is no "middle finger" to Holland, and Holland seems to be very much in league with Babcock on the decision to start Mrazek:

"I don't think we're changing goalies every time we lose," Holland said. "Right now it's an opportunity for Petr Mrazek. He's played real well. When he gives up a goal, when he loses a game, it appears he can bounce back. He's got a lot of confidence, a lot of swagger. He won the Calder Cup championship (with the Grand Rapids Griffins in 2013)."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/04/red_wings_need_to_rediscover_w.html

As I suspected, this is no "middle finger" to Holland, and Holland seems to be very much in league with Babcock on the decision to start Mrazek:

"I don't think we're changing goalies every time we lose," Holland said. "Right now it's an opportunity for Petr Mrazek. He's played real well. When he gives up a goal, when he loses a game, it appears he can bounce back. He's got a lot of confidence, a lot of swagger. He won the Calder Cup championship (with the Grand Rapids Griffins in 2013)."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/04/red_wings_need_to_rediscover_w.html

I agree. The problem with Howard is he gets too frustrated with himself. (You see him always banging his stick when hes super pissed off after a loss). I think he let's it get to him moreso than Mrazek does. No doubt Holland and Babs see eye to eye on most things, that's what makes this franchise so consistent. Both Babs and Holland went from favoring vet players to realizing that you can put your trust in kids. I believe Lidstrom's retirement has helped them groom into that.

Edited by kickazz

Howard won't be traded in the offseason if anything he would be moved at next years trade deadline and it would only be for a Great forward or Defenseman, Mrazek would have to play good for the rest of the playoffs and up until the deadline for this to happen but I think we'll have Howard until next years draft (2016) or even until the 16-17 Deadline

So if we sign a good righty this offseason what would our pairs look like? Obviously Marchenko is on the team next year, we Still have X-Man so I don't see us signing zidlicky I also think smith will be let go and either Quincey or Big E will be traded... Quincey will be traded if we do in fact get a new RH defenseman

New pairs

Kronner E

DK new RH dman

X-man Marchenko Although I could see E on the bottom pair with X man and our new RH with Kronwall and Marchenko with DK

Howard won't be traded in the offseason if anything he would be moved at next years trade deadline and it would only be for a Great forward or Defenseman, Mrazek would have to play good for the rest of the playoffs and up until the deadline for this to happen but I think we'll have Howard until next years draft (2016) or even until the 16-17 Deadline

If Mrazek comes out of these playoffs looking like the starter next year, which is entirely possible, Howard could request to be moved too. And who could blame him? He doesn't have too many prime years left at 31. I don't think he's going to want to give in to being the backup at this point.

This is another reason I wasn't wholly thrilled with the idea of going with Mrazek this year. I like Mrazek and get why it's going that way, but unless the whole team has a big turnaround, I don't know how far we'll go. If it also pisses off Howard enough to want out, there goes Mrazek's chance to have a more gradual transition to becoming an NHL starter.

Granted, if Mrazek kills it in the playoffs and proves to be ready and things are only up from here, I guess it's not the biggest deal. But we'll see...