• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

No Scoring and No Fighting

Rate this topic

This is the biggest problem I have with the NHL, and will continue to have until we have someone who truly cares about the sport as commissioner.

If the NHL accepted it's status as a niche sport, and reached out to and poured it's energy into marketing the game towards that fan base that will truly never leave, things would be a lot rosier IMO.

Well said it's nice following a niche sport, no need to grow the game. It's better to make the fans that are already there happy than trying to alienate them and adding a few "new" fans.

Joseph Conrad would be proud of this paragraph.

Best contribution to the thread.

Re the wider discussion, scores have declined somewhat in the last 20 years in most sports with a similar scoring system. Professionalism and money. If winning is worth millions and is watched by millions and gives you a 1 in a million social status, whether player or coach, you're going to make sure you get the margins right. Fitness, training, psychology, tactical preparation have all been transformed.

is it the fighting that has effected the former goons or the drugs/booze? name a former goon that wasn't an addict that has health issues. Grimson was always clean and to date hasn't shown any health issues that I am aware of. Gordie was one of the toughest ever and is in his mid 80's before a stroke slowed him down.

When Probert died everyone was quick to talk about all his fights but very few mentioned the long term serious drug use. McCarty has the same thing with booze.

Of course this is a side issue.....

is it the fighting that has effected the former goons or the drugs/booze? name a former goon that wasn't an addict that has health issues. Grimson was always clean and to date hasn't shown any health issues that I am aware of. Gordie was one of the toughest ever and is in his mid 80's before a stroke slowed him down.

When Probert died everyone was quick to talk about all his fights but very few mentioned the long term serious drug use. McCarty has the same thing with booze.

CTE directly contributes to mental health issues, including substance abuse, depression, and suicide. It's not a side issue, it's almost certainly a primary factor in many of these cases.

Edit: Also, one of the more common symptoms of CTE is dementia, so I wouldn't go holding up Gordie Howe as some sort of example. Terrible Ted might be a better choice.

Edited by kipwinger

The argument is that concussions can lead to depression, and that depression can lead to substance abuse problems.

I'm sure in come cases this is accurate, in some cases its not.