• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
high_stick69

J Ericsson - really?

Rate this topic

Sorry if this has been posted a million times before, but how did this guy make the NHL? Based on size? I cringe every time he handles the puck. What can they do to hide this guys lack of awareness besides benching him? These soft passes that aren't making it out of the defensive zone have to stop. At least clear the zone dude!! PLEASE!

I agree like I posted on the other thread today's game. Ericsson needs to go or not play on the lines either way the turnovers and lack of speed to complete the move to prevent the puck from leaving the zone is nonexistent.

Edited by 91forever

Strange thing is he was pretty good when he was younger. Than just dropped off or something. Or other teams gang up our D because, with the exception of a few, none of them seem to handle pressure well

Do you recall who his d partners were? Lindstrom and Rafalski

Yes. About five seconds after typing that I smacked myself in the head. Go figure anyone could play good D with them.

Rafalski was about as bad at playing defence as any current Wing. He was slow and soft and led the team in turnovers by D-men all four seasons he was here.

He was good back in the late 00's, but it seems that he plateaued after a few years and has been regressing ever since. Sucks that it coincided with him signing that long contract....

I don't think he was good and regressed so much as he seemed decent and people projected an improvement in his play that was unrealistic for a converted forward picked last overall in the draft.

If the Wings had a decent blueline, Ericsson would not be on the top pair and he'd look much better. He should probably be a #4 guy who also plays on the PK. But he has great size and actually uses it, not as much as I like but he's our most physical defenseman. He's one of the few guys who can actually clear the crease. Generally he has a good first pass, especially for a defensive d-man, though this year his decision making some games has been suspect.

He hasn't been a stabilizing force for the defense like you'd like him to be, but I wouldn't put him at the top of the list of the Wings defensive problems.

It's funny to me that Ericsson gets killed every mistake he makes but dekeyser who makes plenty of mistakes gets a free pass

They are in different stages of their careers. Ericsson should be in the veteran phase whereas Dekeyser is still learning the game. They say it takes 3-4 seasons to know what you have with NHL defensemen. I think we know what we have with Ericsson now.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

They are in different stages of their careers. Ericsson should be in the veteran phase whereas Dekeyser is still learning the game. They say it takes 3-4 seasons to know what you have with NHL defensemen. I think we know what we have with Ericsson now.

Who says that?

Everyone pretends to be fair and unbiased, but DK receives almost zero criticism for his mistakes and bad penalties. You don't get a pass for age. When you F up you F up.

If we played a new player like Mantha right now, and he screwed up a lot, everyone would say "He's not ready"

Who says that?

Everyone pretends to be fair and unbiased, but DK receives almost zero criticism for his mistakes and bad penalties. You don't get a pass for age. When you F up you F up.

If we played a new player like Mantha right now, and he screwed up a lot, everyone would say "He's not ready"

Big E 3 goals 12 assists -5

Danny 2 goals 29 assists +11

Any questions? Not to get off the subject but if we brought up Mantha right now this forum would go insane with Mantha fever. At least we'd see the "future" face of the franchise.

JE is not the sole reason for the wings struggles. You would think by now his experience would let him "see" the game. His awareness just isn't there. It's disappointing because with his size he could be one of those physically punishing defenseman that's really hard to play against. Instead he's a wimpy turnover machine. Hit somebody, would ya? Like you mean it?

JE is not the sole reason for the wings struggles. You would think by now his experience would let him "see" the game. His awareness just isn't there. It's disappointing because with his size he could be one of those physically punishing defenseman that's really hard to play against. Instead he's a wimpy turnover machine. Hit somebody, would ya? Like you mean it?

Strange thing is he was pretty good when he was younger. Than just dropped off or something. Or other teams gang up our D because, with the exception of a few, none of them seem to handle pressure well

Do you recall who his d partners were? Lindstrom and Rafalski

I don't recall this Lindstrom guy, but Ericsson didn't play with Rafalski. He was generally on the 3rd pair. Lidstrom-Rafalski, Kronwall-Stuart, Ericsson-XXXX

Not to mention when DK makes a mistake, he makes a bunch of good plays after that. DK has been huge for us in the playoffs this far, E still sucks as per usual.

Big E 3 goals 12 assists -5

Danny 2 goals 29 assists +11

Any questions? Not to get off the subject but if we brought up Mantha right now this forum would go insane with Mantha fever. At least we'd see the "future" face of the franchise.

You're comparing the point totals of a stay at home D-man to a two-way D-man. Scoring points is not Ericsson's role on the team. That comparison doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And +/- is far from a reliable stat.

More, DK had 106 minutes of PP time this year, second only to Kronwall among our D-men. Big E had a grand total of 14 minutes of PP time the entire season. So you can see why DK scores more, that's one of his roles on this team. And yet being a 30 pt D-man shouldn't excuse one from bad penalties and bad mistakes. There was more criticism about Kronwall this year than there was about DK which is laughable.

Mantha fever is exactly my point. If we brought him up and he didn't perform well everyone blinded with fever would make excuses for him.