• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
high_stick69

J Ericsson - really?

Rate this topic

You don't look at points to see how terrible Ericsson is. You just watch him for a game, on any given night.

You can argue that he looks bad because hes on the top pairing getting exposed, but that explains that hes just a bad defenceman. "shut down" Dmen are supposed to shut down guys. He doesnt do that, or bring offence.

He actually destroys all offence. Whenever we cycle in the O-zone, he just throws it on goal the second it touches his stick. Other team gets possesion, puck goes the other way.

You're comparing the point totals of a stay at home D-man to a two-way D-man. Scoring points is not Ericsson's role on the team. That comparison doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And +/- is far from a reliable stat.

More, DK had 106 minutes of PP time this year, second only to Kronwall among our D-men. Big E had a grand total of 14 minutes of PP time the entire season. So you can see why DK scores more, that's one of his roles on this team. And yet being a 30 pt D-man shouldn't excuse one from bad penalties and bad mistakes. There was more criticism about Kronwall this year than there was about DK which is laughable.

Mantha fever is exactly my point. If we brought him up and he didn't perform well everyone blinded with fever would make excuses for him.

Scotty had a saying for stay at home dmen. They should just stay at home.

You know what Ericsson is? The old saying, addition by subtraction. Get rid of him and we get better.

I dont see how getting rid of Ericsson makes us better. If you were saying to put him in the 2nd or 3rd pairing, I could see your point, or even if you wanted to trade him and someone else for a superior D-man I could see your point. But completely taking him out of the lineup for Smith or Kindl does not make us better.

Ericsson is getting the job done. There is a million other things that are hurting us worse than Ericsson in this series. Has he even been on the ice for a goal against in this series? Usually our defense is our downfall but i think they have stepped up down the stretch and these first two games. Aside from Datsyuk and the 4th line our forwards have been complete garbage

Ericsson is getting the job done. There is a million other things that are hurting us worse than Ericsson in this series. Has he even been on the ice for a goal against in this series? Usually our defense is our downfall but i think they have stepped up down the stretch and these first two games. Aside from Datsyuk and the 4th line our forwards have been complete garbage

He was beaten wide by Filpulla on the 5th goal. For the record. But that goal didn't matter much and I mostly agree with what you're saying.

slightly off topic but, this point made me want to post this

I don't see how we are expected to win a series with the lines we have right now. Maybe its the roster but looking up and down the lineup you have to wonder how we even have a chance.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Helm <---- great line and the only threat, if they dont get it done we lose. You could see that in game 1

Nyquist - Sheahan - Tatar <---- Doesn't seem to be able to get it done in the playoffs yet. Turnovers and little offence and a defensive liability

Weiss - Andersson - Jurco <---- possibly the softest and worst line i could come up with on our roster. No puck possession

Miller - Glendenning - Ferarro <---- I'd prefer someone else over Ferarro but this line is what it is and good at what it does

Basically, if the top line doesn't get it done offensively, noone else will. All we can do is hope that we get some lucky goals and win a game by 1 goal. It sucks. Were playing defensive hockey with a joke of a defence and skeptical goaltending.

We need to spread out Z and D to have 2 legitimate lines. The days of our stacked rosters are over, we can't play them together anymore.

Regarding Ericcson, he NEEDS TO BE DELEGATED. He can be used on this team, but with favorable matchups, not the best players in the NHL. He slows down Kronwall as well, who is literally our only offensive threat on defence.

Play Kronwall with anyone else, we don't have another top 2 dman but noone else aside from Smith/Kindl is a liability like Ericcson is.

Edited by WingsallTheway

slightly off topic but, this point made me want to post this

I don't see how we are expected to win a series with the lines we have right now. Maybe its the roster but looking up and down the lineup you have to wonder how we even have a chance.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Helm <---- great line and the only threat, if they dont get it done we lose. You could see that in game 1

Nyquist - Sheahan - Tatar <---- Doesn't seem to be able to get it done in the playoffs yet. Turnovers and little offence and a defensive liability

Weiss - Andersson - Jurco <---- possibly the softest and worst line i could come up with on our roster. No puck possession

Miller - Glendenning - Ferarro <---- I'd prefer someone else over Ferarro but this line is what it is and good at what it does

Basically, if the top line doesn't get it done offensively, noone else will. All we can do is hope that we get some lucky goals and win a game by 1 goal. It sucks. Were playing defensive hockey with a joke of a defence and skeptical goaltending.

We need to spread out Z and D to have 2 legitimate lines. The days of our stacked rosters are over, we can't play them together anymore.

Regarding Ericcson, he NEEDS TO BE DELEGATED. He can be used on this team, but with favorable matchups, not the best players in the NHL. He slows down Kronwall as well, who is literally our only offensive threat on defence.

Play Kronwall with anyone else, we don't have another top 2 dman but noone else aside from Smith/Kindl is a liability like Ericcson is.

I don't want to go off topic too much, but I agree with your lines sentiment. I've argued before that you can't put Gus and Tatar on the same line in the playoffs. They're too similar and small. Switch Nyquist with Jurco. If Abby is back then they'll be able to separate D and Z which will boost the second line, and either Weiss or Andersson will be scratched.

As for Ericsson. He's not a top pair D, but he's certainly not a liability. We're not talking about Andreas Lilja here. And while he doesn't play as big as his size would suggest, he's strong, and can move people out of that crease. This time of year, that's what we need.

I don't recall this Lindstrom guy, but Ericsson didn't play with Rafalski. He was generally on the 3rd pair. Lidstrom-Rafalski, Kronwall-Stuart, Ericsson-XXXX

For the cup run years yes, but 2011 Babs mixed up the pairs. Lidstrom-Stuart, Rafalski-Ericsson, Kronwall-Salei. Just another good move by the "best coach in hockey"

I don't recall this Lindstrom guy, but Ericsson didn't play with Rafalski. He was generally on the 3rd pair. Lidstrom-Rafalski, Kronwall-Stuart, Ericsson-XXXX

For the cup run years yes, but 2011 Babs mixed up the pairs. Lidstrom-Stuart, Rafalski-Ericsson, Kronwall-Salei. Just another good move by the "best coach in hockey"

For what, 5 games? Those were not the regular pairs.

For what, 5 games? Those were not the regular pairs.

Getting off topic now, but yes they were for the playoffs. Game 6 vs San Jose in the 2nd round

and Game 2 vs Phoenix in the 1st round

I remember constantly bitching about Babs not using the pairs that you mentioned which had worked so well in the past.

He was beaten wide by Filpulla on the 5th goal. For the record. But that goal didn't matter much and I mostly agree with what you're saying.

Ericsson should have knocked Filpulla on his ass, he should have never had a chance at the rebound.

Ya, Babcock always changes things in the playoffs. Its like this year with Qunicey/DD.

Yeah changes his best pairing just when they finally started to gel. I was incredulous when I saw that. If I'm him I am reuniting my top pair from last year Smith and Kronwall and playing 65-27, and letting 52 drag down 28.

By giving his 20 minutes a game to who exactly?

There were no responses to this because there are no answers. As you pointed out, if Jonathan were a 4th D-Man, this wouldn't be a discussion. Because he is playing on the top line, everyone is watching him much closer. I suppose you could bench him for Smith or keep Marchenko in the lineup for him, but I think we are making the team weaker with Jonathan out of the lineup.

Good god, someone save us lol!

@DetroitRedWings: Defensive parings from practice...

Kronwall-Cleary (Filling in for Ericsson)

Quincey-DeKeyser

Smith-Zidlicky

#RedWings

I'm sorry, what's the issue? Aside from actually it being better if Smith swapped with Ericsson?

Q and DK have been our best D pairing by far, and I actually like that last combo of Smith and Zidlicky.