• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Oilers win the Draft Lottery

Rate this topic

I can't believe this, Wings need to try to acquire Hall or Eberle I'd be happy to give up X-man and Tatar For one of them.

They finally get a generational centerman and then they go and trade one of their two best wingers for Tatar and Ouellet? Not happening. And that's fine, because we don't need a winger. The Oiler we should be looking at is Draisaitl.

What I think is the most disgusting thing is that Edmonton has had four first overall picks in six years, and remain at the bottom. If you look back at every team that has the first pick since the lockout every team has either won a cup within that six year time frame (Pittsburgh, Chicago), or are playoff or cup contenders now (St. Louis, Washington) or at least seem headed in that direction (Colorado, Florida). The Oilers are less competitive than the Griffins would be in the NHL. It's a joke. I feel horrible for McDavid. Buffalo and Arizona are building for the future and he would have fit in well with the young core that those teams are developing. I guarantee Buffalo will be a contender in a few years, and McDavid will be wasting his career away.

It's also been funny because at least for Hall, RNH and now McDavid the number one pick was obvious. That would make most teams contenders yet somehow Edmonton has still struggled and failed to address defense. Ference is good but not a number one guy. He needs help on the blueline

I'd be fine with it as long as we're one of those teams :D

Same here :-)

Honestly there is no chance 0 ! that any GM would want to be the guy that traded Connor McDavid but the pressure will be imense. Toronto would have been bad in terms of scrutiny and media pressure but in Edmonton you've had another phenom playing (#99) and I really hope for his sake that he doesn't get constantly compared to that player, it would be so unfair and putting even more pressure on him. Also hockey is a team game so there is still a chance that the management screws that up.

Man I'm freaking jeleaus of all that young talent at least the Oilers should be competing for a playoff spot instead of bottom 5 finishes each and every year. What this does: it opens up a tremendous amount of possibilities and sadly even Babcock now: who wouldn't want to coach that young superstar alongside Hall, Hopkins, Draisatil, Nurse ?

Bob as always is spot on McDavid is a professionell he won't say it publically but like I said I would not blame him for pulling a Lindros. But man Hall - McDavid - Eberle that's a damn scary line for years to come.

as far as getting McDavid to Detroit forget about it: some serious gutting of the team would be needed we're talking about: firsts, Larkin, Mantha, Danny D. +++ it's not going to happen. Also the Edmonton Oilers - assuming he pulls a Lindros - won't get Kessel and Phaneuf because both have a NMC and I'm sure the Oilers are on that list.

All the Oilers now need to do is bring in some top 4 defenseman with size to guide Klefblom and Nurse and a proven Number 1 goaltender. If they do that we're looking at a sleeping giant in the West, granted Lowe and his palls could still screw this up.

My personal stance: The draft is a damn joke, these are young adults let them decide and si gn wherever they want to instead of forcing them to go to team X because some lottery balls decided that's the way to do it. I mean, did the Patriots a ball telling them to pick Tom Brady NO they've picked him because he wanted to be there and they wanted him.

I won't be surprised to see Niemi in Edmonton this upcoming season.

Guest Playmaker

I'm just going to take a wait and see approach. I respect the fact he's not going to be "that guy". Sounds like he's just as good off the ice as he is on. Kind of sounds like some other can't miss guy they had in Edmonton ;)

There's a 0% chance they trade the 1st overall pick and by mactavish's comments they won't trade any of the top kids

Who are they gonna get as a goalie that's available? Niemi? He's been going downhill for years now ...Dubnyk? Been there done that ... I can't see any top goalie going there unless there willing to give up something good

Same goes with defense ... We all we how hard it's been to get defensemen in the free agent market and the best ones get locked up longterm ... Oilers throw big money at a zidlicky and/or green lets say ... They can't play defensive hockey

I'm saying it now even with mcdavid nothing will change , they might get more spectacular goals but they'll keep losing and Edmonton will be in the top 5 drafting order again with a good chance of getting first overall yet again

Only this time we will see gary bettman leap off a balcony

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Who knows, it's just crazy the amount of forward talent they have, but can't seem to do anything with. s***ty to see talented young players held back like that. I'm sure the Oilers don't care, but those #1 picks deserve a shot at a career, not being buried in a logjam in a horribly run franchise.

Mactavish is an idiot. He's all smiles and celebrating because of this, because it keeps him his job for another year or two.

Make your team better and trade away either Eberle, Hall or Yakupov youf****** idiot.

I dunno how he still has a job. Is it due to loyalty because he was part of past success? If it is, they need to let go of that. 1990 was 25 years ago, and they are FAR from another cup right now.

What a sad tradition the Oilers have forged. I could not help but laugh when I heard the news. I really believe the NHL needs to reform its draft policy because as it stands it hurts the integrity of the game. Franchises like Edmonton should not be rewarded year after year for their explicit mismanagement and failure.

Edited by aflac9262

they can't get any good D because with all the top picks they've had, they were forced to take the best available player instead of drafting the position they needed. Same will happen this year with this #1. They are pretty much forced to draft McDavid, even though they don't need anymore young offensive players. Now they need to trade a few of those young forwards for some established D.

What a sad tradition the Oilers have forged. I could not help but laugh when I heard the news. I really believe the NHL needs to reform its draft policy because as it stands it hurts the integrity of the game. Franchises like Edmonton should not be rewarded year after year for their explicit mismanagement and failure.

There really should be a limit on how many first rounders you can get in so many years. It's insane. Your right, all this is is franchise mismanagement. Pittsburgh won a cup two or three years after getting Crosby and Malkin, and Chicago in about the same time frame as getting Toews and Kane. If you don't put those assets to work, you should'nt continue to get them.

they can't get any good D because with all the top picks they've had, they were forced to take the best available player instead of drafting the position they needed. Same will happen this year with this #1. They are pretty much forced to draft McDavid, even though they don't need anymore young offensive players. Now they need to trade a few of those young forwards for some established D.

Well, they COULD draft the best available D or G of the year with the #1 pick, but they won't. Def time to make some trades, and improve other positions. Taking the obvious #1 guy every chance they get and sitting on him is'nt working out for them.

They absolutely should trade the pick for pieces that they need. I know McDavid is supposed to be the next Crosby but they don't need another forward and this is a golden opportunity for them to do the smart thing.

But... it's the Oilers, so...

Edited by Wings_Toledo

Well, they COULD draft the best available D or G of the year with the #1 pick, but they won't. Def time to make some trades, and improve other positions. Taking the obvious #1 guy every chance they get and sitting on him is'nt working out for them.

No doubt who they should take but when they took yakupov everyone was saying they have to take ryan murray and still took yakupov

Now everyone's saying they have to trade a piece and make a big deal to surround your top forwards and make your team better better and they still won't do it

There's ways to improve your team ... Just not when you got idiots running the asylum

They absolutely should trade the pick for pieces that they need. I know McDavid is supposed to be the next Crosby but they don't need another forward and this is a golden opportunity for them to do the smart thing.

But... it's the Oilers, so...

They'd be stupid to trade away the next Crosby. Trade other forwards for D and goaltending maybe.

They'd be stupid to trade away the next Crosby. Trade other forwards for D and goaltending maybe.

I'd say they should trade Hall at this point for a defensive upgrade.

But it's the oilers so they'll probably just do nothing lol.

No doubt who they should take but when they took yakupov everyone was saying they have to take ryan murray and still took yakupov

Now everyone's saying they have to trade a piece and make a big deal to surround your top forwards and make your team better better and they still won't do it

There's ways to improve your team ... Just not when you got idiots running the asylum

Yea. Yakupov was the mistake. RNH and Hall are good picks, but they didn't need Yakupov, and they should have gone with Murray. Plus, rushing everyone to the NHL is just a bad idea. Look at Draisaitl. Makes you really thankful to be a Wings fan, and to also realise how amazing our 24 straight years really are

Edited by wings4thecup06

Yakupov was a mistake yeah but Hall ? I don't think so it's not his fault the defense there is horrible and more often than not the guy has to carry this team (as a winger nonetheless). Just looked at HF boards man the amount of hate is unbelievable I'm also not happy with that but Edmonton won it fair and square.

I think they'll package Draisaitl or Hopkins + Yakupov to bring in a top 4 guy and sign Anderson from Ottawa in the summer. Not a huge fan of Niemi what has he done despite winning the cup on a ridiuclous stacked Blackhawks roster ? Also this is a guy who's had Vlasic running the D and he still didn't get the job done. The Oilers would be better signing Reimer or Jonathan Bernier in my mind.

Yakupov was a mistake yeah but Hall ? I don't think so it's not his fault the defense there is horrible and more often than not the guy has to carry this team (as a winger nonetheless). Just looked at HF boards man the amount of hate is unbelievable I'm also not happy with that but Edmonton won it fair and square.

I think they'll package Draisaitl or Hopkins + Yakupov to bring in a top 4 guy and sign Anderson from Ottawa in the summer. Not a huge fan of Niemi what has he done despite winning the cup on a ridiuclous stacked Blackhawks roster ? Also this is a guy who's had Vlasic running the D and he still didn't get the job done. The Oilers would be better signing Reimer or Jonathan Bernier in my mind.

Andersson? That guys overrated and isn't he in his 30s now? Man you trade yakupov and draisaitl you'd better get a lot more than that

This would be pointless cause they'd still suck for another 2-5 yrs but montreal wants to reunite yakupov with galchenyuk and I keep hearing zach fucale's name but he's far from being ready

Can see a yakupov for fucale tinordi +more type deal but again won't help Edmonton anytime soon

Also noticed eberle is 25 already ... That's nuts , gone by so fast so he's already 7-8 yrs older ... I get rid of him as well for more young good assets

Keep mcdavid hall hopkins draisaitl nurse and go from there

Edited by nyqvististhefuture