• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TripleS

Abdelkader to return for Game 3

Rate this topic

All I know is Ericsson better have had a stern talking to his game has been poor not hustling, missing passes and just at best sub par.

I thought he was solid in Game 1. Not so much in Game 2. I'm hoping having Abby back and possibly switching up the lines will generate more offense so Ericsson isn't defending in his own zone almost the entire game.

Edited by Wings_Toledo

I thought he was solid in Game 1. Not so much in Game 2. I'm hoping having Abby back and possibly switching up the lines will generate more offense so Ericsson isn't defending in his own zone almost the entire game.

I think so. These lines give us much more balance and depth, both scoring wise and defensively. Removing Weiss and going with Sheahan and Jurco together with Andersson at least makes the 3rd line not a liability, and I've liked Jurco's game so far this post season. Just needs to crash and bang and create a few chances.

Lines: Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Nyquist Helm-Datsyuk-Tatar Andersson-Sheahan-Jurco Miller-Glendening-Ferraro Weiss, Pulkkinen roating in.

I think so. These lines give us much more balance and depth, both scoring wise and defensively. Removing Weiss and going with Sheahan and Jurco together with Andersson at least makes the 3rd line not a liability, and I've liked Jurco's game so far this post season. Just needs to crash and bang and create a few chances.

Lines: Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Nyquist Helm-Datsyuk-Tatar Andersson-Sheahan-Jurco Miller-Glendening-Ferraro Weiss, Pulkkinen roating in.

Earlier in the season I'd have been pissed to see Andersson in over Weiss. But now I just get it. Andy is more responsible with the puck. He might not put up many points, but he isn't giving up glorious scoring chances either.

Earlier in the season I'd have been pissed to see Andersson in over Weiss. But now I just get it. Andy is more responsible with the puck. He might not put up many points, but he isn't giving up glorious scoring chances either.

Weiss is the most frusterating player for me to watch because he clearly has the skill and the instincts around the crease to be an effective player, but he's just awful at every other aspect of the game. I honestly don't get it. But anyway, I'm with you. Andersson, who does nothing great, but plays responsible hockey is probably a better option than Weiss at this point.

Weiss is the most frusterating player for me to watch because he clearly has the skill and the instincts around the crease to be an effective player, but he's just awful at every other aspect of the game. I honestly don't get it. But anyway, I'm with you. Andersson, who does nothing great, but plays responsible hockey is probably a better option than Weiss at this point.

I just can't believe the whole thing played out like it did. If anyone had suggested that Weiss would be a healthy scratch in the regular season and playoffs when we signed him, they'd be a laughing stock. How is it that all of our free agent signings, even the ones that seem to be good ones,go so incredibly wrong lately???

More importantly, can we unload Weiss this summer? I don't get how things went so wrong, but I can't imagine that he's just useless. There's got to be a team out there that wouldn't have him sitting in the press box half the year. I'm willing to admit that he's probably done being a factor on this team, whatever the reason may be, but I just have a hard time believing Weiss is really done as a regular NHL player.

The only way we can unload Weiss is to take back an equally bad contract... To get someone like Dion Phanuef who is a much better player, in a contradictory cap situation (long term cap hit, team in complete rebuild) we would probably have to throw in a prospect and/or draft pick to make it happen. At the deadline we were apparently close with Weiss, Smith, and a pick or prospect for Phanuef.

Weiss has 3/4 years less on his deal so he becomes more attractive because by the time the leafs "3-5" year rebuild is competitive, his contract is off the books - and in the meantime his 3 contract years are irrelevant because the team wont be spending to the cap.

We don't have any buyouts?

We used two already, not sure if that's the max

Each team had 2 compliance (aka amnesty) buyouts after the lock-out. They could either use them post 12-13 or post 13-14. That's all over with now.

We could do a regular buyout, but then "The cap hit charged to the team after the buyout will be spread out over a period of twice the remaining the length of the contract." (http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/five-things-you-need-to-know-about-nhl-buyouts/)

So that's a 2.45 million caphit for the next 6 years.

That doesn't seem smart to me. If we can trade him that's the best option, but, if not, I think Weiss still has something to offer. He did score 9 in 52 games - that's not too bad. If we have a different coach next year who plays Weiss at 3rd line center I could see him finding a role.

Abs in is a big boost for sure, if not on the scoreboard well then at least in the hitting department. Weiss sits is, well expected... What Detroit needs to do is win those 2-1 games not allowing any mental mistakes, and Andy is more defensively responsible then Weiss. We aren't going to outscore the opponent that lead the league in goals, so try winning a different way. From what Weiss is shown (granted he is playing with Andy) he wont produce much if anything, and at this point its a coin toss who would score first be it him or Andy (again if either).

Weiss with a new coach could actually be a good thing, a fresh start for Weiss that is. Babs with this whole not signing until the seasons over really makes me wonder, is he that set on staying in D-town? So much has been made of this delay for a decision, whether he goes elsewhere only puts pressure on him, and somewhat on this team (even though Babs says otherwise). If he really wanted to stay in Detroit why go through this roller coaster where the damn Maple Leafs are asking "what if". I don't know but I got a feeling Babs might be on his way out...

Abs in is a big boost for sure, if not on the scoreboard well then at least in the hitting department. Weiss sits is, well expected... What Detroit needs to do is win those 2-1 games not allowing any mental mistakes, and Andy is more defensively responsible then Weiss. We aren't going to outscore the opponent that lead the league in goals, so try winning a different way. From what Weiss is shown (granted he is playing with Andy) he wont produce much if anything, and at this point its a coin toss who would score first be it him or Andy (again if either).

Weiss with a new coach could actually be a good thing, a fresh start for Weiss that is. Babs with this whole not signing until the seasons over really makes me wonder, is he that set on staying in D-town? So much has been made of this delay for a decision, whether he goes elsewhere only puts pressure on him, and somewhat on this team (even though Babs says otherwise). If he really wanted to stay in Detroit why go through this roller coaster where the damn Maple Leafs are asking "what if". I don't know but I got a feeling Babs might be on his way out...

By not talking about a contract until summer he is driving his price wayyyy up. Babcock is a smart man.

What other way is there to win besides outscoring the opponent?

Only chance is to play tight defensively and play a bit more physical ..This team doesn't have the fire power to go into a scoring race with Tampa sad but true.

I actually thought trying to play more physical is what hurt them last game. Guys seemed to let their emotions get the better off them, which led to more mistakes. Let's face it, this is not a physical team. The Wings players should forget about playing physical, and instead focus on staying in position.

Edited by wings87

I don't care if they play a hard hitting game but the Wings have to start winning board battles. Last game there were a couple times when three Wings were pinning two Tampa players and they still lost the puck. A few other points Nyquist and Zetterberg were carrying the puck in along the boards and Tampa just barely tapped them and picked off the puck.

He really has come into his own with the team; we need more of this; Maltby and Draper types who provide support and secondary scoring or shall we say primary now

Edited by Rivalred

He really has come into his own with the team; we need more of this; Maltby and Draper types who provide support and secondary scoring or shall we say primary now

I feel like that's often the case in playoffs; a team's secondary scoring becoming their primary source of scoring. The other team can only shut down so many players per game.

Definitely glad Abby is back. It helps Babcock spread out the lines so much better.