• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jacksoni

Recommend me a game from the glory days

Rate this topic

Greetings,

been reading up on the RW forum but didn't see the need to type something up, until now. Looking back at the fantastic team Detroit was during the 90's with a handful of generational players like Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidström, Hull, Hasek. And my personal favs, the underappreciated guys - Konstantinov and Holmström. Geez imagine going against that.

It boggles my mind that I haven't seen all the games from this era. I will watch them all in time. However to get a flying start, is there just 1 game you, the reader can recommend from this timeframe?

Don't suggest the bloody sunday game between Detroit-Colorado as I have seen that one.. 5 times I think.

Regards Jacksoni

Go with 2002 WCF Wings Avs game 6. Freakin awesome, and it'll show you just how good Hasek really was.

In fact. If you can, watch that entire series. It truly was the greatest rivalry I've ever seen and the games were so intense.

Edited by wings4thecup06

Thanks for the insightful inputs. Been giving this some thought.

Wanna see the 90's team from the beginning all the way up 2002. So I'll be watching every god damn Red Wings playoff game (not highlights) starting from 1991 - the first year of the 24th consecutive playoff start to 2003 in chronological order.

Go with 2002 WCF Wings Avs game 6. Freakin awesome, and it'll show you just how good Hasek really was.

In fact. If you can, watch that entire series. It truly was the greatest rivalry I've ever seen and the games were so intense.

I second this. Of my favorite teams, this was the best series I experienced. 2 weeks of stress which finished with a Wings 7-0 win. We won the rivarly against the Avs, and I was thrilled! I'll never forget jumping around the living room Game 7 screaming after every goal! I think it's safe to say, I'll never experience a better series, it had it all.

Edited by Barrie

'95 series against Chicago was a great one. 3 OT wins. Game 5 especially awesome. Belfour was unreal until the last goal. Plus, anything that ends with a sad Jeremy Roenick is great.

The demolition of the Sharks in the 2nd round that year was fun too, though you need to watch the 94 series first for the full "gratifying revenge" effect.

Crashing back to Earth against NJ was much less fun to witness.

'95 series against Chicago was a great one. 3 OT wins. Game 5 especially awesome. Belfour was unreal until the last goal. Plus, anything that ends with a sad Jeremy Roenick is great.

The demolition of the Sharks in the 2nd round that year was fun too, though you need to watch the 94 series first for the full "gratifying revenge" effect.

Crashing back to Earth against NJ was much less fun to witness.

Still the most disappointing series for me ever. Everyone thought the wings would win and I was unbelievably excited.

The game I've watched the most is the 97' WCF Game 2 against the Avs.

In my mind it was the most clutch performance of Yzerman's career, in a game that made or broke whether we finally got a cup.

No way we wanted to go down 0-2 against a team like that.

First the incredible slap pass to 91 on the PP, then the end to end wallet bank shot. I can't forget #5's save either.

Yeah that one dude.

I highly recommend the boxed set, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detroit-Red-Wings-A-Celebration-of-Champions-NHL-Original-Six-Series-DVD-/141631629707?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f9e7298bdon't buy the one that is posted, its way overpriced, but its great games in great quality.

It's funny, because I'd love to just watch some of the old games, without the teaser, and relive some of the fun.

Detroits series against the Capitals was great. I remember Maltby blocked five or six shots in one shift. Or, another Maltby, but Maltby and Draper having a great duo, I think Maltby scored tow short handed goals in one penalty once.

There were many great games that 2002-3 season. Still the all time greatest team IMO. But, I might enjoy watching the Wings v. Kings game from the year before... I remember Chelios and Luc fought (if you can call it that) and Luc's kids crying... I'd probably never watch any of those 95 Wings games again though, not if it had that stupid Fox puck tracker...

Rookie season Datsyuk was a real treat, other teams hadn't figure out how dangerous he was yet.

The game I've watched the most is the 97' WCF Game 2 against the Avs.

In my mind it was the most clutch performance of Yzerman's career, in a game that made or broke whether we finally got a cup.

No way we wanted to go down 0-2 against a team like that.

First the incredible slap pass to 91 on the PP, then the end to end wallet bank shot. I can't forget #5's save either.

Yeah that one dude.

My favorite playoff game for sure, the one that put us over the hump to finally win the Cup after all those years. McCarty's breakaway goal to seal it was also very nice.

Definitely watch that one, many times if at all possible!