• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Is Joe Louis Arena a tough place to play?

Rate this topic

Is the JLA crowd intimidating?

I've been going to the first two home playoff games for the last 5 years, and I've gotten the feeling that the crowd isn't very engaged for most of the game. Something as standard as chanting the away goalie's name doesn't happen too often...

I look at those Montreal games and I get jealous (though that is probably comparing apples to oranges with a Canadian market).

Granted, I thought the 2011 crowds were pretty good.

Is it because the Wings aren't "new" winners? Ford Field seems pretty intimidating, but they are "new" winners (kind of) the same way the Palace was intimidating when the Pistons were "new".

First round is always crappy. I remember the San Jose series a few years ago when we game back from a 3-0 deficit and tied it 3-3 at home, JLA was super hyper. Best game I experienced in a while. We just need to make a deep playoff push and the fans will get back into it. These early exits are not fun. The crowd hasn't been into it like it was since 2009 or so. I remember in the 2009 Pittsburg series my ears were ringing after one of the games.

I'll be there Tuesday night tho!

Edited by kickazz

There is no such thing as a tough arena. Just a tough team.

Was the JLA a tough place to play when the Wings sucked in the 80's? Is the Staples Center a tough place to win at now that the Lakers suck? No, they're not. Same thing with so many other stadiums in sports. There's nothing imposing about the Patriots' s***ty stadium, but because the team is good, it's a tough place to play. That's the way it works.

There is no such thing as a tough arena. Just a tough team.

Was the JLA a tough place to play when the Wings sucked in the 80's? Is the Staples Center a tough place to win at now that the Lakers suck? No, they're not. Same thing with so many other stadiums in sports. There's nothing imposing about the Patriots' s***ty stadium, but because the team is good, it's a tough place to play. That's the way it works.

Century link.

(Seahawks)

Georgia dome, for the synthetic reason.

I think the hangar will erupt tonight in Winnipeg.

That place will absolutely go nuts it's been almost 20 years since they've had playoff hockey there and if the Jets are scoring first the roof might not hold up.

Can't wait to watch. The crowd is going to be insane.

I get text alerts when "Student Rush" tickets are available, discounted tickets sold to those who can show student ID, usually sold as singles in order to fill the stadium. Just got one for tomorrow's game.

Which begs the question, I know Wings bolster a "sell out streak" for home games, but maybe people just aren't as interested with the team anymore. Not sure.

I've never been a fan of taunting the opposing goalie by chanting their name. It seems very "collegey" so I'd rather we don't copy Nashville or LA fans.

I do like the player name chants for our own team though like Todd Bertuzzi or you got Kronwalled. Those are always fun.

I've never been a fan of taunting the opposing goalie by chanting their name. It seems very "collegey" so I'd rather we don't copy Nashville or LA fans.

Yeah, I was never a fan of that either. I doubt it has much, if any, effect on the goalie anyways. If you can play in front of 20,000 fans night in night out, I doubt them taunting you makes much difference since you already tune the crowd out to focus, especially at the NHL level. You've heard it all before by then.

I do like the player name chants for our own team though like Todd Bertuzzi or you got Kronwalled. Those are always fun.

Maybe if Kronwall would actually level someone again and if the Wings actually had someone big in front of the net that could score some dirty goals the crowd would start up some chants again. I love when the Joe goes crazy and they haven't had much to be crazy about the past few seasons to be honest.

Yeah, I was never a fan of that either. I doubt it has much, if any, effect on the goalie anyways. If you can play in front of 20,000 fans night in night out, I doubt them taunting you makes much difference since you already tune the crowd out to focus, especially at the NHL level. You've heard it all before by then.

I think this is more a we do it because we can thing, players are used to large crowds and I doubt this has and effect at all but it's fun and adds to the home team atmosphere. Winnipeg has very creative chants like Crosby is better, Who's your captain.

I would love to see a DB measurement for Winnipeg tonight.

As far as I can tell the last time I really thought wow this is nuts in a good way, has been the booing of a lifetime in 09.

I disagree, it has some effect on you if you're the road team. Sure you can play in front of 20,000 people but it's a lot different when you're at home compared to away. Also the crowds are 10X better come playoff time. People are amped up more, hell I am amped up watching at home on TV.

Century link.

(Seahawks)

Georgia dome, for the synthetic reason.

Glad you brought them up.

Let me give you an example I know first hand. Arrowhead stadium is as loud as Seattle's stadium. They always compete for decibel level records. However, Arrowhead was an easy place to win for many years when the Chiefs sucked. Still is in many ways. In the 90's, it was the hardest place for NFL teams to play in. You know what changed about the stadium? Not a damn thing. The team got worse.

I think this is more a we do it because we can thing, players are used to large crowds and I doubt this has and effect at all but it's fun and adds to the home team atmosphere. Winnipeg has very creative chants like Crosby is better, Who's your captain. I would love to see a DB measurement for Winnipeg tonight. As far as I can tell the last time I really thought wow this is nuts in a good way, has been the booing of a lifetime in 09.

CBC will 100% be on that tonight for sure.

I think the last amazing playoff crowd was during the Oilers run a while back. The Peg tonight will blow that out of the water.

I think this is more a we do it because we can thing, players are used to large crowds and I doubt this has and effect at all but it's fun and adds to the home team atmosphere. Winnipeg has very creative chants like Crosby is better, Who's your captain. I would love to see a DB measurement for Winnipeg tonight. As far as I can tell the last time I really thought wow this is nuts in a good way, has been the booing of a lifetime in 09. CBC will 100% be on that tonight for sure. I think the last amazing playoff crowd was during the Oilers run a while back. The Peg tonight will blow that out of the water.
Thanks will be so interesting. I would love the JLA to become something like that again!

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/04/21/wings-have-home-ice-but-is-it-an-advantage/26125379/

Good quote from babs "The bottom line is you have to help your crowd help you," Babcock said. "If you don't do anything, your crowd isn't going to help you. You have to play well."

Might get some flak for saying this...

This team isn't about exciting hockey...Babs teams are rather methodical (see the gold medal winning team Canada 2014).

I'm of the opinion Red Wing teams of the 90's had fans alot more excited than what we see today, or at least I had more interest in those days...Team had that swagger back then.

Swag, I think you mean. As in a team full of highly paid players without worrying about a cap. Of course, fans were more excited - we won more and were full of stars. That can't happen anymore.

I like this team. If you want swagger, just keep your eyes on Mrazek all night.

Leaving the game now, after chanting "Lets go red wings" "f**k you Tampa" "f**k u bishop", booing the refs a hundred times (even after second when refs were the first to come on before the players), chanting "Abby Abby Abby" after scrum, booing Tampa players. I'd like to say the JLA is MOST definitely one of the toughest places to play. The fans completely went nuts!

Edited by kickazz