• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nightfall

Knuckles vs Numbers - The death of the enforcer

Rate this topic

I wonder what we'll be saying in a year?

But, yeah, definitely a drop, not sure that this means its getting eliminated. Glad people are blaming the Europeans like they used to do every time the subject was brought up.

Saw a clip not too long ago of a high school game where the kids tried to jump one of the refs... that was pretty disturbing.

On 8/18/2018 at 2:19 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Interesting read I wonder if they reduced the equipment size like shoulder pads so when I delver the "hit" I feel it too. Might reduce some of the full on speed hits.  I think the no touch icing rule has been a pretty decent change.

I think Lindros is a wee bit pissed(and rightfully so) he didn't to play as much he desired. But then again when you get popped by Stevens  like this your career isn't going to last long.  Granted today Stevens would have been suspended for games upon games for this. 

Not saying that I don't think every avenue should be investigated when it comes to the health (short AND long term) of players, Especially considering the speed of the players today, the size/muscle these guys are packing, and the bulked up armor/equipment in today's game.  However, isn't this a free will sport?  Don't players choose to play in the NHL fully knowing what could happen?  I guarantee their parents knew when they invested all of the time and money to cultivate the player making it to the NHL ranks.  So...are we protecting players from themselves??

Our sport we love so much has always been like this.  It's what makes hockey fans to passionate, and non-hockey fans so indifferent.  LIve by the sword...die by the sword.

BTW...hate to see players go down like Lindros did...but he did have his head down while gaining the offensive zone at a high rate of speed....what did he expect in a Conference Finals game? 

Which brings up another question to pose...could some of this be eliminated with better coaching?  I know there has been a huge push in "Pop Warner"/youth football, high school, and college to teach better fundamentals to the youth involved in the sport.  The right way to hit and tackle, QB's leaving receivers out to hang with vulnerable passes over the middle, etc. .  I will say, I'm pretty sure Gordie Howe and tons of other older players who've played in the league would definitely teach that if you skate with your head down while handling the puck... you're going to get nailed.

7 minutes ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

Not saying that I don't think every avenue should be investigated when it comes to the health (short AND long term) of players, Especially considering the speed of the players today, the size/muscle these guys are packing, and the bulked up armor/equipment in today's game.  However, isn't this a free will sport?  Don't players choose to play in the NHL fully knowing what could happen?  I guarantee their parents knew when they invested all of the time and money to cultivate the player making it to the NHL ranks.  So...are we protecting players from themselves??

Our sport we love so much has always been like this.  It's what makes hockey fans to passionate, and non-hockey fans so indifferent.  LIve by the sword...die by the sword.

BTW...hate to see players go down like Lindros did...but he did have his head down while gaining the offensive zone at a high rate of speed....what did he expect in a Conference Finals game? 

Which brings up another question to pose...could some of this be eliminated with better coaching?  I know there has been a huge push in "Pop Warner"/youth football, high school, and college to teach better fundamentals to the youth involved in the sport.  The right way to hit and tackle, QB's leaving receivers out to hang with vulnerable passes over the middle, etc. .  I will say, I'm pretty sure Gordie Howe and tons of other older players who've played in the league would definitely teach that if you skate with your head down while handling the puck... you're going to get nailed.

Pretty much this. All of these players (football too) knew there were risks to their sport, although admittedly not fully understood. I feel sympathy for anyone who has lifelong brain damage from playing any sport, but at what point do you stop suing others and admit to some degree of personal accountability. 

27 minutes ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

Before his death, I remember Howe suggesting that if the league got rid of helmets concussions would go down. The theory being that all the pads and helmets we have on players these days has only emboldened them to throw dangerous hits that they otherwise would not have if they didn't have a suit of armor on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the lawsuit alleging that the NHL knew about the potential dangers of multiple concussions and did nothing. Maybe even covered up the impacts of concussions, or at least frowned upon investigating them? IDK I haven't followed the case that closely

Lindros is right - want to get rid of concussions - eliminate checking from the game...Watch the number of viewers plummet if that does happen.

2 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Interesting read I wonder if they reduced the equipment size like shoulder pads so when I delver the "hit" I feel it too. Might reduce some of the full on speed hits.  I think the no touch icing rule has been a pretty decent change.

I think Lindros is a wee bit pissed(and rightfully so) he didn't to play as much he desired. But then again when you get popped by Stevens  like this your career isn't going to last long.  Granted today Stevens would have been suspended for games upon games for this. 

Not that I'm wanting this to return, but allowing 2-line passes, and keeping both hands on the stick results in seeing players gaining speed into the attacking zone like never before, and back in 'the day' players would take 1 hand off the stick to 'bear hug' an opponent into the boards (now we see many shoves/cross checks from behind, and hits from behind).

Those IMHO only add to the risk of head injuries.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If by riot you mean posting salty comments on twitter and rudely explaining "that back in my day..." every time someone tries to watch a hockey game, then yeah I'm in.

dude do you even twitter? I thought you just reddit.

Either way I know you're just gonna start a chang.org petition to make hockey violent again

Watch the movie #iceguardians here's a quote from the movie:

“The elephant in the room [is] only five percent of concussions are coming from fighting,” Ice Guardians’ producer Adam Scorgie shared on the Marek vs. Wysyshnski podcast. “But if you were a general observer of hockey or just an outside fan, you would think with all the media attention on fighting, ‘Oh man, fighting’s gotta cause 40 to 50, 60 percent.’ “So to find out it’s less than ten percent [it’s] like, ‘Wow, really?’ We should be putting a lot more attention on the elephant in the room which is the speed of the game and the equipment.”

Take the weapons off the elbows and shoulders and we'll see less problems with concussions. Bring back the Ice Guardian, we have less problems. Get rid of the instigator penalty, we have less problems. We have less blindside hits, we have less elbows and shoulders to the head. When you have to pay the price for being dirty, you stop being dirty.

In the 80's and 90's, you didn't get a penalty for running at Yzerman, your penalty was getting your ass beat by Probert or Kocur. If Crosby (as much as I dislike him) had a legit Ice Guardian, like Yzerman and Gretzky, etc... had, he'd have less concussion issues, guaranteed. Because he wouldn't get run at all the time.