• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

ECQF Game 5 GDT : Red Wings 4, at Lightning 0 (DET leads series, 3-2)

Rate this topic

aren't those banners "communist/puppies/america" a bit offensive? It is also kind of strange that those target only foreign players.

It just displays both a lack of hockey knowledge on the part of those morons holding the signs ("growing the game" tnx Bettman), and a lack of education (Florida).

That was such a huge statement game by the Wings, coming off the heals of game 4's loss. I am so proud of this team, and they really deserve to advance on monday night. These last 3 games they've battled, played excellent D, got really amazing goaltending, and played with a complete team effort.

I'm simply in love with how Datsyuk has shut down Stamkos. Wings have got to make sure they close this series out on monday

though, get in over with asap. LGW!

If he doesn't do well in those starts, it's a problem. I'm thrilled with the way Mrazek has played so far, but when you see what's happened to guys like Hammond and Darling, I'm not going to anoint him to the Hall of Fame just yet.

I have little doubt that Howard will do well. By then he'll have a had more than enough time to fully recover from his injury. As for Mrazek, you're going to have to find where I said he belongs in the hall of fame and point it out to me. Regardless, he doesn't have to be a hall of gamer to be a starter.

Great game loved every minute. I have to admit around the 10 minute mark when it was 2-0, I was starting to have flashbacks of the previous game. The O and D were great and we looked great speed wise. I still feel bad for Helm he makes the plays and is super fast but just can't hit the broadside of a barn. He has a lot of talent and potential. I wanted Z to score so bad he is coming up big and getting the shots just not able to find the back of the net. The success to next game is going to be to continue to play like this and shadow Tyler Johnson and Stamkos. Still not convinced Stamkos will stay asleep forever. If he manages to hit the back of the net I think he will be a Train off the rails, BUT lets just continue to convince him it's not his game lol.

Edited by 91forever

The people who want Howard gone because Mrazek is developing well are shortsighted. Why wouldn't you keep two quality goalies when you can afford them? Especially since goalies are inconsistent. It's not like we are in a cap crunch and I'd rather not lean on one rookie goaltender with no depth after him for a full season.

We need to improve the defense more than we need to have two starters in my opinion. If we can't improve the defense in a trade involving Howard, it's a non-starter to me though, to be clear. Then you definitely still want two good goalies for a minute, because as I've said, I don't expect Mrazek to have miraculously cleaned up all his consistency issues over the course of the lull-filled regular season. Bug again, getting a decent d-man for Howard would help more long term than keeping Howard in the short term.

On paper I think TB is a better team, but there is that veteran determination that guys like Dats, Z and Kronwall always display. Plus I think Babcock is dominating in the coaching department.

Good thing games aren't played on paper. Wings were outed by a lot of teams that had no business beating us in the past.

Full cycle.

We need to improve the defense more than we need to have two starters in my opinion. If we can't improve the defense in a trade involving Howard, it's a non-starter to me though, to be clear. Then you definitely still want two good goalies for a minute, because as I've said, I don't expect Mrazek to have miraculously cleaned up all his consistency issues over the course of the lull-filled regular season. Bug again, getting a decent d-man for Howard would help more long term than keeping Howard in the short term.

This thread should be locked

Howard is not being traded or going anywhere, Petr and Jimmy will be rotated out, plain and simple

It just displays both a lack of hockey knowledge on the part of those morons holding the signs ("growing the game" tnx Bettman), and a lack of education (Florida).

What's weird about that as well is that they have a lot of players on there team from Sweden / Russia / Czech.

Good thing games aren't played on paper. Wings were outed by a lot of teams that had no business beating us in the past.

Full cycle.

Absolutely, its nice to have the hot goalie for once! If Mrazek keeps up his top notch play, there is no limit to how far the Wings can go this playoffs.

So, Howard couldn't beat out a rookie goalie, is over 30 and has a big contract for another 5 years. You're thinking he's a huge asset to acquire a top 4 defenseman? I guess I'm missing something.

Since the circumstances are really that simple. Mrazek isn't just any rookie goalie and Howard clearly had complications related to coming back from his injury. Before that, he was playing great and made the all star team. He's no joke, and he's absolutely an asset still. Is he a monster asset? No. But on a team that's had basically no tradable assets for years, he's a big asset.

I'm not a Howard-basher, never have been, and I'm not even convinced Mrazek will have an easy adjustment to the full-time starting role. What I do know is that given Howard's age and contract, the longer we hang onto him, the less he's going to be worth. He's still at a point where he can be a quality goaltender and a difference maker. He has value.

So why would I want to trade that away? Again, only to improve the D. If that's not possible, yes, hang onto him because as said, Mrazek will likely still face struggles. But either way it's a gamble, and I think the long term value of adding a quality defenseman outweighs the benefits of having two starters when you have someone coming up who's as good as Mrazek. He looks like he could be better than Howard, maybe a lot better, but at worst, I don't think he could be much worse than Howard.

Trading Howard would absolutely be worth the gamble for a defenseman.

I'm simply in love with how Datsyuk has shut down Stamkos.

It actually hasn't been a one on one matchup, the whole team has been checking Stamkos. Although Pav's line is mostly facing Stamkos, if you watch closely, every single player out there is targeting Stamkos. Some names specifically are, Quincey, Glendening, Nyquist to name a few . It's been a team effort and they're doing an excellent job. I was surprised Nyquist wasn't penalized for his back check on Stammer yesterday not sure if anyone else saw that.

This is what I meant by Babcock's superior coaching earlier. He's been rotating guys and confusing the hell out of Cooper. At one point you had Johnson against Glendening, at another point it was Zetterberg, then at another point it was Datsyuk. He's been strategizing well with the shutdown. Quick line changes on away arena can go a long way.

Edited by kickazz