• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

ECQF Game 7 GDT : at Lightning 2, Red Wings 0 (Tampa wins series, 4-3)

Rate this topic

Final comment. At the start of the series, I didn't think we'd get past TB given how we played leading into playoffs. But once the series started and we were more than keeping with them, it looked like we could take this. So mighty disappointed that it slipped away from us, blew game 4 and game 6.

Last game for Babs ... seriously, he is a bit overrated. I don't think he got more out of this roster than they are on paper ... they are a 1st round one and done type of team which is exactly what happened. Not a bit bummed out if he decides to take a 'different challenge'.

Honestly we need to re-evaluate a lot of players' roles. Helm, for instance, is not a top 6 player.

On another note, am I the only one really leery about Blashill? If Babcock is part of the problem, I'm not sure bringing in a clone is the right move. If we need an overhaul from strategy on up to players, bringing in a coach with an identical strategy isn't the way to start.

yeah there's so many good coaches out there currently, I'd like to see Torts or Bylsma

Here's the thing about Nyquist and Tatar. Yes, we need to be patient. But we have to be realistic as well and not rely on them. As of right now, we know neither one is a playoff performer. Therefore, when building this team, Holland needs to make sure we have two goal scorers (ideally) who we can rely on to replace them. Dat depth, tho.

Defense was actually a bright spot tonight. I have no issues with any of the players tonight. But over the whole season? Ericsson needs to be a #4 again. Kindl and probably Smith need to go. They are simply too inconsistent. But I'm tired of the offense disappearing by taking one-and-done-shots. I'm tired of...well...everything.

Agreed.

Tatar and Nyquist will never be Dats and Z, but they equally are the best goalscorers we have when the euro-twins aren't 100%. If Pulks can translate his game and that shot, and Mantha can step up, either will be relatively expendable in a year, but unless its for a good deal, it doesn't make sense to trade them now.

As for the D...its a mystery how playoff Smith and Reg season Smith are so different, but I don't think we should trade him unless part of a package for something obviously better. His wheels on the back end are increasingly important in the modern NHL, and Kronner & Ericsson aren't getting any quicker.

As for Kindl, if only someone could give some of Smith's courage and toughness. They are like the cowardly Lion and the scarecrow...but its more plausible for a borderline idiot to eventually get smarter than for a ***** cat to become a tiger...(mixed metaphors I know).

Honestly we need to re-evaluate a lot of players' roles. Helm, for instance, is not a top 6 player.

On another note, am I the only one really leery about Blashill? If Babcock is part of the problem, I'm not sure bringing in a clone is the right move. If we need an overhaul from strategy on up to players, bringing in a coach with an identical strategy isn't the way to start.

He's a clone in the way he talks, but GR plays a different style. More physical, better transition game. Plus, he's a new voice for the veterans, and a guy the kids will trust.

Stamkos has been criticized in the playoffs before. Difference is, he's young and has upside. Of course he shouldn't retire. Zetterberg probably shouldn't retire either, but there's really no upside there. He's hit his peak and needs a Nyquist or Tatar to take over like he and Datsyuk did when the previous generation stars got old.

Glad to see someone use logic for once. It's just been amusing to see people rant about Z playing poorly when in reality A LOT of players on the roster did poorly. This tunnel vision blame game is getting old. What I'd like to know is:

Where the hell was Zidckey's offense?

Where the hell was Nyquist?

Tatar, stop pretending to be Datsyuk and take the damn shot

Jurco... Is this guy a ghost?

Once those things have been addressed we can complain about Zetterberg. I don't know why people keep expect a lot out of this 34 year old guy. I expected Nyquist to do a lot better than he did, that's more of a concern to me than an aging star. Like some others have already suggested, Zetterberg can still be useful just like Yzerman was towards the end of his career. He cud be a third line center and excel at it for all that matters.

But when your young players can't stick it out through playoffs. That's something that actually needs work and a solution. Nyquist needs to bulk up this off season imo. He's too easy to squeeze out in the corners.

Edited by kickazz

Guest Playmaker

So Stamkos gets a pass for not scoring how many years in a row, but not Nyquist or Tatar? Zetterberg is not healthy. I'd bet on that.

Stamkos the leagues second best goal scorer put up 0 goals in a 7 games series against a team with a weak defense. He's definitely not a world class player and should retire too by your logic. >.> Retire at the age of 25 too! Wooo!

settle down, Stamkos was second in goal scoring in the regular season. Z struggled all year long with his health. He is hurt and he is permanently hurt. Stamkos got extra attention all series long. Z is just too washed up...at least to be a center, maybe get him a young center to play with he can resurrecte his career for the next 4 years. But his playoff performance is in no way related to Stamkis'. They underwhelmed for two different reasons.

Helm would've been a 3rd line guy If we were healthy, we were forced to have him in the top 6. No Cole, no Mule and Weiss turning out to be a total hack forced us to play guys where they shouldn't be. Think of our team up front if we are healthy, we would've had a 3rd line with Helm, Shaehan and anyone else really. We are deep on D in terms of NHL caliber guys..Marchenko proved tonight he is NHL ready, Kindl should be in the NHL, Ouelette is arguably ready, Hell we even have a bottom pair guy like Lashoff in the minors who has played at the NHL level. Is Howard trade bait? I hate Phaneuf but I feel like he is another Maple Leaf reclamation project ( Larry Murphy), if we can unload Weiss it would be optimal. Nyquist and Tatar as much as I like both of them are essentially the same player, move one of them and get a different kind of guy up front. Aim high, shoot for Malkin, I dunno. I just feel like the D and Z era is coming to end, I know the feeling, it feels similar to the Yzerman, Shanny, Fedorov era. I am a big supporter of Holland but it's time to remove the filter and make a big move. I love being in the playoffs every year, been a fan for 25 years but losing in the first round is like making a strike first frame of bowling and then throwing it in the gutter for the rest of the game.

So Stamkos gets a pass for not scoring how many years in a row, but not Nyquist or Tatar? Zetterberg is not healthy. I'd bet on that.

Stamkos scored last year lol, and why did they bring Z back so soon if he wasn't healthy, I agree he wasn't 100% but he was definitely good enough to play

Agreed.

Tatar and Nyquist will never be Dats and Z, but they equally are the best goalscorers we have when the euro-twins aren't 100%. If Pulks can translate his game and that shot, and Mantha can step up, either will be relatively expendable in a year, but unless its for a good deal, it doesn't make sense to trade them now.

As for the D...its a mystery how playoff Smith and Reg season Smith are so different, but I don't think we should trade him unless part of a package for something obviously better. His wheels on the back end are increasingly important in the modern NHL, and Kronner & Ericsson aren't getting any quicker.

As for Kindl, if only someone could give some of Smith's courage and toughness. They are like the cowardly Lion and the scarecrow...but its more plausible for a borderline idiot to eventually get smarter than for a ***** cat to become a tiger...(mixed metaphors I know).

I knew they weren't fast but holy cow they looked slow as all get out this series. I want to keep Kronwall but if we can replace Ericsson with someone halfway decent at defense and speed we'll be sitting pretty.

settle down, Stamkos was second in goal scoring in the regular season. Z struggled all year long with his health. He is hurt and he is permanently hurt. Stamkos got extra attention all series long. Z is just too washed up...at least to be a center, maybe get him a young center to play with he can resurrecte his career for the next 4 years. But his playoff performance is in no way related to Stamkis'. They underwhelmed for two different reasons.

Glad to see you went from "he should retire" to "get him another center to play with". Looks like you settled down on that one ;)