• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

turbowhistle86

Who is the coach next season?

Rate this topic

So before June 30th, we can get a 3rd round pick or something from a team if they want permission to speak to Babs?

What is Jamie McLellan smoking ... he thinks San Jose is a good destination ... with that GM Doug Wilson ??!!

Edited by RedWingsRox

All the job offers for Babcock are pretty bad right now. All except Toronto. And that's only because they could offer him GM/Coaching job so he would have more power. Other than that his best option is to stay in Detroit. None of the other teams that have vacancies are at Detroit's level. Detroit has a subpar roster with a lot of experience (at this point) that successfully makes the playoffs each year. Most of the job vacancies for Babs are bottom teams that can't even get a crack at the playoffs. Buffalo, Edmonton, Toronto.

If I were Babs, I'd stick with Detroit for the time being and get paid a lot of money to do so. He could sign a short contract for 3 or so seasons and get paid big money for it. This is a team he's groomed up and with Mrazek and younger players getting all the experience they have at the moment, I think he's still got a better shot of being successful here rather than anywhere else.

All other places need a big revamp, will he be patient enough for it? Honestly I'd stick it out with Detroit and wait till better options are available for him.

Then again Toronto IS the trump card because it DOES have the GM/Coach option. But with their history of firing coaches and GM and fanbase that's very very critical, you would wonder if that's an environment Babs even wants to be a part of. The guy hates media pressure.

Guess we'll find out shortly.

Like it or not but Edmonton has become a much better option now with Nichelson at the helm and winning the next great player. Their center depth is insane and still very young, some wingers will be traded fire defensive help and soon Nurse will be ready.

Then there's also Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Anaheim all teams that are contenders now and who's stars are still in their prime.

Why would Babcock stay? The guy is ultra competitive, he has seen the decline of Z and Pasha and he is as much concerned as some others are.

Who cares? It's either Babcock or Blashill - both outstanding coaches... I would personally rather have Blashill because he knows these players as well as Babcock does, and knows the next generation (Mantha, Oulette, Anthanasiou, Pulkinnen) a hell of a lot better. The current Detroit Red Wings, anyway you look at it, are the bi-product of a great job that Blashill has done in terms of development of our young nucleus, and they evidently respect him as a coach, which is massive. It just feels right, let him finish the job he has started and see if he can get more out of a Teemu Pulkinnen or a Tomas Jurco than our current coach has.

I also didn't like Babcock's attitude last night, it was a selfish press conference he used as a marketing ploy to put the spotlight on himself - and the great job "he" has done. Without finding the direct quote, he basically said that the Red Wings have won "too much", and been "too good" in recent years to be in the position to draft a replacement for Pavel Datsyuk or a "Great Player on the Back End", and that "the team isn't as good as it was". My issue here is that the Red Wings were still an extremely good hockey team when Pavel Datsyuk was drafted (in the 6th Round) - actually they won the cup that year (1998), and the year before that (1997), and then again in his rookie year (2002) - so maybe a good future doesn't cost you a miserable few years. I understand that the Salary Cap made it easier back then, but who currently has better future than this? (Besides Edmonton)

TATAR - LARKIN - MANTHA

NYQUIST - SHEAHAN - ABDELKADER

JURCO - ANTHANASIOU - PULKINNEN

BERTUZZI - GLENDENNING - FERARRO

DEKEYSER - MARCHENKO

OULETTE - SPROUL

JENSEN - (THIS YEARS 1ST ROUNDER?)

MRAZEK

I am not exaggerating when I ask this, but which forward on that list doesn't have star potential? Yes - we need help on the back end, but defenseman also mature at a much older age than forwards do, and our scouting staff is still the best in the business.

Like it or not but Edmonton has become a much better option now with Nichelson at the helm and winning the next great player. Their center depth is insane and still very young, some wingers will be traded fire defensive help and soon Nurse will be ready. Then there's also Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Anaheim all teams that are contenders now and who's stars are still in their prime. Why would Babcock stay? The guy is ultra competitive, he has seen the decline of Z and Pasha and he is as much concerned as some others are.

A lot of those aforementioned teams currently have coaches. Can't assume that they all will fire their current coaches and wait for an answer from Babs.

Babs will get a hell of an offer from Toronto. I think his next best offer will be the Red Wings. I wouldn't be surprised at all of Detroit matches Toronto's offer. The Red Wings are quiet a rich franchise.

A lot of those aforementioned teams currently have coaches. Can't assume that they all will fire their current coaches and wait for an answer from Babs.

Babs will get a hell of an offer from Toronto. I think his next best offer will be the Red Wings. I wouldn't be surprised at all of Detroit matches Toronto's offer. The Red Wings are quiet a rich franchise.

Money will not be an issaue that's for sure IF Mr. I steps in whichever team wants Babcock will get matched moneywise. Our owner is not only the best one in the NHL but he's also a fan and loaded with cash. I know some Leafs think they might be able to outbid Mr. I well our salary cap has been much higher than theirs.

Hitchcock is as good as done, Armstrong will just let his contract run out and not renew him. Johnson's contract was under a 1 year condition but paid for 2 years (if I remember it correctly that can't be a coincidence or can it ? ).

If the Ducks aren't going to at least the WCF I think Boudreaus is toast there.

Babcock his not going anywhere

I hope your right. I told my friends it would only be a matter of time and when the playoffs were done we would see an offer on the table. I seriously think it will be the Leafs.

Here is a news link from today: http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1283638-with-red-wings-out-of-playoffs-babcock-sweepstakes-could-heat-up

I'm kinda of tired of Babcock personally. Just go, seriously. The Wings are not that bad like people make it out to be. They win game 4 we just took out a top team in the playoffs. Do we need adjustments at key positions? Yeah. Every team wants a top 6 power forward and a top pairing D-man. I say just roll the dice bring up Blashill and play the kids, if we miss the playoffs fine. I really believe that if we filled out our roster with kids from Grand Rapids instead of some over paid Free Agents, we would be a damn good team.

What if Babs goes to Toronto to be the GM/Coach and makes a deal with Holland that he will send Phaneuf and Kessel over here for some of our future picks, Smith and Kindl. Toronto is going to be trying to re-rebuild after all. ;)

If Babs left on a condition of "hooking us up". I'd be okay with it. Hah.

Could be possible.. Holland and Babs do have a great relationship. Jim Nill sort of helped out with the Cole situation.

Edited by kickazz

What if Babs goes to Toronto to be the GM/Coach and makes a deal with Holland that he will send Phaneuf and Kessel over here for some of our future picks, Smith and Kindl. Toronto is going to be trying to re-rebuild after all. ;)

If Babs left on a condition of "hooking us up". I'd be okay with it. Hah.

That'd be awesome.

But he wouldn't take Smith.

But for Glendenning he'd probably give us phaneuf @2mil ret

Jvr

And kessel

That'd be awesome.

But he wouldn't take Smith.

But for Glendenning he'd probably give us phaneuf @2mil ret

Jvr

And kessel

Don't forget Cleary. He has at least 3-5 years left of solid cabana sitting in him.

The drama unfolds, in round 1 next year, Detroit meets the team that Babs goes to and Wings advance to round 2 in 7 .. something that he couldn't do when he was here. Circle of life. Called it here on Apr 30, 2015.

Edited by RedWingsRox

After what Babcock said last night, about not being as good anymore (despite making a 7 point improvement over last year, and taking the highest scoring team in the league to 7 games), mentioning the ages of Dats, Z, and Kronwall, and asking who's going to replace Pavs, I'd like to see him go. We have a lot of great young players on the team now and coming up soon, if Babcock doesn't think he can win here, then bring someone in who knows he will.

If Babcock wants to start nit picking, I'd like to point out he was here 10 years, and for 7 of those years he had the best defenseman since Bobby Orr, and only won 1 Cup... Dats, Z, and Kronwall have a few more good years left, and with Tatar, Nyquist, Abby, Helm, DeKeyser, Smith, Mrazek, Mantha, Larkin, Jurco, Marchenko, Ouellet, Sheahan, Pulkkinen, Glendening, etc. all in their 20's, we're going to be good for a while.

After what Babcock said last night, about not being as good anymore (despite making a 7 point improvement over last year, and taking the highest scoring team in the league to 7 games), mentioning the ages of Dats, Z, and Kronwall, and asking who's going to replace Pavs, I'd like to see him go. We have a lot of great young players on the team now and coming up soon, if Babcock doesn't think he can win here, then bring someone in who knows he will.

If Babcock wants to start nit picking, I'd like to point out he was here 10 years, and for 7 of those years he had the best defenseman since Bobby Orr, and only won 1 Cup... Dats, Z, and Kronwall have a few more good years left, and with Tatar, Nyquist, Abby, Helm, DeKeyser, Smith, Mrazek, Mantha, Larkin, Jurco, Marchenko, Ouellet, Sheahan, Pulkkinen, Glendening, etc. all in their 20's, we're going to be good for a while.

Well said. Everyone has a shelf life and I believe Babs has reached his in Detroit. It is extremely unusual for a head coach to not have a new deal in place at the end of the season, which tells me he is gone on July 1 (or whenever his contract officially expires).

Well said. Everyone has a shelf life and I believe Babs has reached his in Detroit. It is extremely unusual for a head coach to not have a new deal in place at the end of the season, which tells me he is gone on July 1 (or whenever his contract officially expires).

I recall babs making comments about our D core last year after Boston series and everyone loved it. This to me is babs calling out Kenny for not doing enough. Babs is a smart guy. He's not insulting pav and hank he is speaking the truth. They r aging and Kenny needs to have a good off season. This was babs calling on that. I still say babs is back here next year.

Whether or not Detroit needs him Babcock needs to move on. Fresh start and with a GM that will give him the right pieces to build a true cup contender. Few sycophantic homers in Detroit can admit it but this is a sinking ship. Winter is coming.

Edited by lwing

Pretty sure the talk with Holland is going to go something like :

Holland - "We'd love to keep you, 5 million dollar offer"

Babs - "Um are you going to get your s*** together and get me some real players?"

Holland - "Yes I promise"

Babs - "Nah I'm calling your bluff, f*** off Kenny, I'll see you in hell"

The world will never know.

Whichever coach has the best record in day games.

In a serious note I would like to see Todd M if Babs leaves. I think Blashill would be too much of the same sometimes you are a victim of your head coaches public opinion (as well as you can get advantage from it sometimes too). Blashill needs a new start elsewhere to flourish from his pedigree.

Because he's won a ton of games under arguably the worst possible conditions. And because he's done so with a roster that's about 1/5 as good as our current one.

Fun fact. You know how many 80 point players Dave Tippett has coached in his entire career? Two. Mike Ribeiro and Mike Modano. You know how many 80 point players Mike Babcock coached on the 2005 Red Wings alone? Four.

Think about that. The best players he's ever coached..ever...were Modano, Ribiero, and Yandle. His best goalie was Bryzgalov. BRYZGALOV!

You're absolutely right. Tippet got a mostly garbage team to the conference finals in 2012, and they lost to the Cup winners. He might want to skip out on Arizona's rebuild...and Detroit would be an upgrade for him. He could probably squeeze more out of this Wings roster than Babcock.

Are you blind? There is no heir apparent for the level Dats is on; only potential with Mantha and Larkin achieving that status. We have already started to see that Mantha will project a little less than everyone hoped. Babs is unhappy with roster management and rightly so. We should all be concerned for what happens in 3 seasons.

I recall babs making comments about our D core last year after Boston series and everyone loved it. This to me is babs calling out Kenny for not doing enough. Babs is a smart guy. He's not insulting pav and hank he is speaking the truth. They r aging and Kenny needs to have a good off season. This was babs calling on that. I still say babs is back here next year.

I saw it as a good thing as well. Someone needs to tell Kenny how it is. We need a guy or two that's going to be able to step up and replace Dats and Z talentwise pretty much now. We can't have these two guys retire and be a team with no star players, then no one will really want to come here.

Nit picking my ass! We don't have anyone remotely close to Datsyuk's level coming up, and that's absolutely a problem. Babcock was being entirely realistic and addressing a very real problem that this team is going to be facing in the coming years. We do have a lot of good young players coming up, but do we have anyone even close to Datsyuk's level? I think people really, really, really undervalue how important Datsyuk is to this team.

As I said before, we're going to learn a lot more about Holland in the coming years, because it's one thing to lose Lidstrom when you still have true superstars in Dats and Z to build your team around. But as of now, it's highly unlikely that we're going to have that luxury when Dats and Z retire, and with Z likely slowing down faster, it's going to be all the more pressing of an issue.

Nothing Babcock said was unrealistic and unwarranted. We have some serious issues to deal with, and I don't think Babcock wants to wait until Dats and Z retire to hunt for a solution. And yes, I think Babcock is staying.

I also think Babcock was sending a message to his young players that they have to be better and they have to work harder to keep growing into solid NHL players who can compete when it matters most. Guys like Tatar and Nyqvist have a lot of skill and potential, but they're going to have to work harder and get stronger if they want to have a prayer of carrying this team when Dats and Z move on. As of now, they're simply not good enough. Not even close.