• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sum1

should mrazek get #1 tag next season

Rate this topic

Good lord, Thornton?

I'm so glad teams aren't run on the internet...

Thornton is one of the best setup guys in the game. He may not be good enough to be "the guy", but he is more then qualified to be a second line center. Plus his cap hit is pretty low for a player of his skill set (6.75 million for another 2 years). Having a guy like him come in would allow D & Z to play together on the first line. What is your issue with Thornton?

Thornton is one of the best setup guys in the game. He may not be good enough to be "the guy", but he is more then qualified to be a second line center. Plus his cap hit is pretty low for a player of his skill set (6.75 million for another 2 years). Having a guy like him come in would allow D & Z to play together on the first line. What is your issue with Thornton?

Why would you want Thornton when we already have such GREAT centers. (Datsyuk! and the amazing superfast Henrik Zetterberg!) and the league is full of amazing centers ready to be signed. :blind:

Good lord that Thornton. He's probably one of the worst centers. He can't even put up like 60 points a season. Oh wait..

Hell I'd take Shehean, Weiss, Andersson over Thornton ALL day. Those guys are real all-star level. I'm telling ya.

Edited by kickazz

My issue with Thornton is *why*. Everyone ******* and makes fun of the Wings for signing guys in their mid 30s on the downside of their prime. Thornton embodies that. My issue is that signing Thornton would be the kind of thing the Wings would be *expected* to do. He's a prototypical Detroit Red Wings Signing . We need to step outside of our ******* comfort zone and try to fill in the middle--no more young guys in their early 20s with minimal experience. No more aging vets. I want prime meat, dammit! GIVE ME A 28 YEAR OLD STUD!!!!!

*ahem*

I also don't want to see Thornton stroke his rooster whilst wearing the winged wheel, but that's beside the point...

Did you miss the part where he's probably medically done?

I really like the idea of trading Howard + for Thornton. Maybe Howard + jurco+ prospect for Thornton. Then go after phaneuf + Reimer for hopefully weiss + smith + kindl + helm. Franzen goes on LTIR

This would give us tremendous center depth and allow hank to play with pavel.

Abby- datsyuk- z
Cole/ big body FA- joe t- pulk ( that shot with joe)
Nyquist- sheahan- tatar
Miller- glenny- Ferraro ( great 4th line/ shutdown)

Kronwall- phaneuf
Dd- Quincey
E- marchenko/ oullete

Mrazek
Reimer

I'm not sure how this is cap wise, but I think that team looks way better

My issue with Thornton is *why*. Everyone ******* and makes fun of the Wings for signing guys in their mid 30s on the downside of their prime. Thornton embodies that. My issue is that signing Thornton would be the kind of thing the Wings would be *expected* to do. He's a prototypical Detroit Red Wings Signing . We need to step outside of ourf****** comfort zone and try to fill in the middle--no more young guys in their early 20s with minimal experience. No more aging vets. I want prime meat, dammit! GIVE ME A 28 YEAR OLD STUD!!!!!

*ahem*

I also don't want to see Thornton stroke his rooster whilst wearing the winged wheel, but that's beside the point...

Yes because the NHL has so many 28 year old great players in their prime that are just ready to be signed. Unfortunely that's the league for ya. Either call up the young kids or signed aging vets who are no longer useful for their team (Thornton).

I guess there's a few possibilities with Toronto possibly trying to revamp. There's Phaneuf or Lupul or MAYBE Kessel (highly doubtful).

My issue with Thornton is *why*. Everyone ******* and makes fun of the Wings for signing guys in their mid 30s on the downside of their prime. Thornton embodies that. My issue is that signing Thornton would be the kind of thing the Wings would be *expected* to do. He's a prototypical Detroit Red Wings Signing . We need to step outside of ourf****** comfort zone and try to fill in the middle--no more young guys in their early 20s with minimal experience. No more aging vets. I want prime meat, dammit! GIVE ME A 28 YEAR OLD STUD!!!!!

*ahem*

I disagree. I think its more about finding the right player opposed to finding a guy that is a certain age (though I would love it if the right player was a stud D-man in his prime).

Though with that being said, you do bring up some great points.

Well I for one would like to see more scoring young blood its the biggest change needed. Franzen will not play again sad as that is but his salary will be available to some extent to make purchasing a replacement player possible. All I know is we can't afford to go with any older players its a dead move. I still remember with Hossa signed I was like wow great purchase but we didn't get any goals from him in the playoffs then when he flopped back to the ducks he actually was scoring not sure if it was a line chemistry thing or what. Mike Modano was also a poor purchase as the end of his career if we got him 5-6 years before it would have been worth it. I know Howard will not want to ride the pine anymore and he's really expensive to have sitting around. Mrazek will be the main goalie no doubt there but I am sure there are areas they will work with him on for improvement unless the coaching staff is blind. I can honestly say whenever Mrazek gets behind the nets to clear the puck I am always scared he's going to pass to an opposing player as we almost saw a goal last night when he did this. Is Zetterberg going to get better and be able to score again anytime soon? That's the big question he makes some great shots but they aren't finding the back of the net injury or not is this what our team needs? Again I do like Zetterberg but what's he going to bring to the table at the end of the day for our chances. Weiss and Zidlicky should be gone traded for whatever we can get to little to late. Howard being traded to Oilers would be a good move especially with the young team and like others said on this thread if McDavid turns out to be another great one Howard will want to ride that wave for certain. What goalie doesn't want to have his name on the Stanley Cup? Howard just missed his chance on this in 2008-2009.

Edited by 91forever

No show Ray Emery no thanks for backup goalie. lol He was horrible for the Sents. late for practice, sleeping in late, speeding, and partying. Damn good when he showed up but not a fan.

I think so but I doubt they will if they can't move Howard. You can't have that much money sitting on the bench.

They have had no problem benching Weiss (5 mil). That money is already a sunk cost, so it's a silly reason to not play someone.

That being said, those of us who aren't bi-polar and irrational know Howard is still a good goalie. He was phenomenal up until his injury. With an offseason to recuperate and get back into form, I have no doubts he'll be tearing it up again next season. But Mrazek also showed us the future. His time in the AHL is done. We've all wanted to roll with a 41-41 split for years now. Here's our chance. No placeholder goalies or short-term fixes. We're set in goal until Mrazek is up for a big contract.

That being said, I feel like Mrazek is the better big game goalie, and his style of play better complements a puck possession and fast transition strategy. So he needs to be our number 1 come playoffs.

Trading Howard would be a mistake, because we have no goalie depth. Mrazek is still a big question mark over the course of a whole season, and it's ridiculous to go into a season riding an unproven goaltender when you don't have to do so.

If there's one thing I really think Holland has a tendency of nailing, it's finding a good backup at a great price. I'm really not worried about whatever he would scrape up, because historically, he really has done a good job in this area. This is also why I worry less about trading Howard than some might.

I disagree with this. Conklin (V2.0) was a disaster in St. Louis and Holland brought him back and he was a disaster here. Then Gustavsson ended up being a horrible signing. The only good goaltending signing Holland has made recently is Joey MacDonald.

Holland even gave Gustavsson A RAISE after proving he was more useless than Magic Johnson at a blood drive for two years. Guys like Greiss, Montoya etc were available last summer for half as much, but Holland decided to overpay Glasstavsson.

Edited by DSM

I disagree with this. Conklin (V2.0) was a disaster in St. Louis and Holland brought him back and he was a disaster here. Then Gustavsson ended up being a horrible signing. The only good goaltending signing Holland has made recently is Joey MacDonald.

Holland even gave Gustavsson A RAISE after proving he was more useless than Magic Johnson at a blood drive for two years. Guys like Greiss, Montoya etc were available last summer for half as much, but Holland decided to overpay Glasstavsson.

Gus wasn't a horrible signing. He did exactly what we all thought he would. He plays very well (when he plays) and gets injured a lot, giving Mrazek a chance to get some experience, which paid off. I don't think anyone can seriously say Gustavsson was a disappointment. We just all knew what to expect.

And who cares how much he made? Cap hit doesn't matter much when you're not spending to the cap. It's not like we were paying Gus a fortune. We could afford it.

Goalies generally do not garner a big return. A goalie with a big contract for 4 more years and coming off a bad 2nd half and being benched for the playoffs certainly isn't. Trading Howard wouldn't solve any problems but could potentially cause one.

I say keep Howard for now and go into next season with him and Mrazek battling it out. Before getting hurt, Howard was consistently around 2.10GAA and a .92SV%. Howard obviously likes being here, and I have to think after watching during the playoffs, he'll be fired up to work hard this summer to get back to that level. I'm all aboard the Mrazek train now, but I think it's too soon to hail him as #1.

I also think that Howard won't garner much on the trade market, and that there aren't any options available that will be an upgrade. All the UFA options are not being re-signed for various reasons but will be overpaid in July. Did someone say Reimer? Really?

I'd go with a Howard/Mrazek tandem. Let Gustavsson walk. McCollum is eligible for Group VI UFA status, so he'll likely walk too. In his spot, sign a veteran #3 guy that is capable of NHL duty like a LaBarbera or Dan Ellis type, but can also mentor Coreau and Paterson in GR.

Howard isn't going anywhere. Goalies have little trade value and there have been too many flash in the pan goalies to just hand Mrazek the job without a good plan B.

Good plan a and b is having a capable veteran backup who can play 25-35 games if need be

To be honest I can't believe you actually have doubt mrazek is the real deal

He's 23 so yes I'd expect some growing pains but him playing as many games as possible is what will help his further development

As for goalie values ... Howard was an all star before his injury so I'm sure we can get something ... We keep playing mrazek his value will be worth nothing and well get a draft pick just to get rid of him

Howard has to go

It makes no sense to ditch howard right now, even more so coming off his poor second half. His trade value will go up when he plays next season and proves that he's back to better form. Plus, Mrazek hasn't shown he can handle a full NHL season yet. What if he struggles and you've already jettisoned Howard?

The smart thing to do is to keep both, let them go head to head with each other during the regular season, and if Mrazek looks like he's taking over, then trade Howard at the deadline so you can upgrade the blue line at the same time. No point rushing this really.

It makes no sense to ditch howard right now, even more so coming off his poor second half. His trade value will go up when he plays next season and proves that he's back to better form. Plus, Mrazek hasn't shown he can handle a full NHL season yet. What if he struggles and you've already jettisoned Howard?

The smart thing to do is to keep both, let them go head to head with each other during the regular season, and if Mrazek looks like he's taking over, then trade Howard at the deadline so you can upgrade the blue line at the same time. No point rushing this really.

We know one thing ... Howard struggles in the playoffs ... Sorry but that's the case and mrazek is 23 and howard is 30

I'm more for trading howard so mrazek plays as many games as he can , howard won't be a happy boy playing 30-40 games and if that happens his value dimishes and we get a pick

Right now we can say before the injury he was an all star and get a roster player or 2 that can actually further improve our team right now

A contending team like a saint louis/San Jose/Philadelphia would be intrigued

We know one thing ... Howard struggles in the playoffs ... Sorry but that's the case and mrazek is 23 and howard is 30

I'm more for trading howard so mrazek plays as many games as he can , howard won't be a happy boy playing 30-40 games and if that happens his value dimishes and we get a pick

Right now we can say before the injury he was an all star and get a roster player or 2 that can actually further improve our team right now

A contending team like a saint louis/San Jose/Philadelphia would be intrigued

Not to nit-pick, but contending for what exactly? The wild-card?

Cole is done? I thought he was just out for the season; career's not over.

He has actually suggested that it may be over. There's going to be some serious risk involved from here on out apparently and he's not sure what he's going to do. Given his age, I wouldn't be shocked if he calls it a career if the situation is as bad as he was suggesting, but who knows?