• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ash11

Free agents this off season

Rate this topic

Not a single one of those forwards interest me. The only way I'm taking on a forward is if we move a couple and it's for an upgrade.

These guys just aren't going to make any difference.

On D, the only two I had any interest were Franson and Ehrhoff... but that was before we got Green.

The only way I'm interested in either of them now is if we could move Kindl and Ericsson's contract. Which just ain't likely to happen.

I don't see us moving either of them. Weirder things have happened though.

Added a few names to the list. Lots of household names still out there.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

I like our D, BUT, if we could shed E's albatross contract and Kindl and sign Franson and Ehrhoff to 1 year deals for a mid level salary, that would be wonderous for the upgrade of our kids next season...plus I think the D would be slightly better this season.

I think Franson looked at a Boychuck like contract but he isn't as good.

If I'm Holland I'd offer 5x5 or 4,2x6 Franson adds size and physicality.

I've been watching quite a bit of franson tape lately because I expected us to sign him, and from what I've seen Franson is way too slow..,

He's somewhat physical in that he hits a lot, but he puts himself out of position with his hits and doesn't have the foot speed to recover...

If we ended up getting rid of Quincey and kindl(not going to happen) I dont even think ehroff would be worth the risk for the bottom pair, he's shown he can put up points, but he can't stay healthy, and he isn't the pmd he once was. Imagine how awful it would have looked had he accepted our contract offer last year.

He'd be a huge question mark for the next few years.

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC 16m

Bernier and TOR settle: $4.15M in each of the next two years for the goalie

This seems like a good deal for both sides. Bernier will have the 24th highest cap hit for goaltenders, so it's not like they broke the bank on him. And if he somehow stinks it up and they end up starting Reimer the next couple years, it's not like it'll cripple the team financially.

They settled before the arbitrator award but I do have to wonder how ugly it got. The Leafs first counter offer was below what he made last season. Not a great way to treat your starter.

They settled before the arbitrator award but I do have to wonder how ugly it got. The Leafs first counter offer was below what he made last season. Not a great way to treat your starter.

Bernier - : "How many times do I need to bail out our s**** defense? Exactly" - Walks away.

Reimer's confidence is under the gutter unfortunately. Toronto ruined him.

Edited by kickazz

This deal should work for both sides, Bernier has 2 years to play for his big payday and the Leafs get to see if he can be a number 1 goaltender in the long-run. If the Wings aren't bringing back The Monster I wouldn't be opposed to take a chance with Reimer and run the Howard/Reimer duo while Mrazek gets a chance to round out his game in the AHL.

Also would be interesting to know who handled the negotiation process I guess it has to be Shanahan knowing that Lou hasn't even been 2 weeks on the job.

Edited by frankgrimes

What? Mrazek in the AHL? He is our #1 goalie . Howard will be gone by next summer. He is the past. Mrazek is the present and the future. I dont mind keeping Jimmy this season to push Mrazek. But nothing more. Mrazek is going to be a star and he is already better than Jimmy is now. He has paid his dues in the AHL. Its 2015 not 2013.

This deal should work for both sides, Bernier has 2 years to play for his big payday and the Leafs get to see if he can be a number 1 goaltender in the long-run. If the Wings aren't bringing back The Monster I wouldn't be opposed to take a chance with Reimer and run the Howard/Reimer duo while Mrazek gets a chance to round out his game in the AHL.

Also would be interesting to know who handled the negotiation process I guess it has to be Shanahan knowing that Lou hasn't even been 2 weeks on the job.

I think the consensus is the Mrazek will start in the NHL next year. The monster will not be resigning with us. That leaves Howard and Mrazek for NHL.

Bernier - : "How many times do I need to bail out our s**** defense? Exactly" - Walks away.

Reimer's confidence is under the gutter unfortunately. Toronto ruined him.

Bernier: " Nelson Mandela would have never let his team play such s*** defense"

I think the consensus is the Mrazek will start in the NHL next year. The monster will not be resigning with us. That leaves Howard and Mrazek for NHL.

Doesn't Mrazek have to pass through waivers at this point anyways?

There's absolutely no chance that Mrazek plays another game in the AHL. Waivers only apply to players going to and from the AHL (or coming from another league, or for buyout purposes).

Frank, you always surprise me with your comments. Why would we send a goalie who was solid as our playoff starter to "round out his game?" He had some consistency issues during the season, but that's to be expected as he gets used the better competition.

Bernier's better than he looks with the Leafs. It'll be interesting to see if Babs can whip the defence into shape to help out his numbers.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

What? Mrazek in the AHL? He is our #1 goalie . Howard will be gone by next summer. He is the past. Mrazek is the present and the future. I dont mind keeping Jimmy this season to push Mrazek. But nothing more. Mrazek is going to be a star and he is already better than Jimmy is now. He has paid his dues in the AHL. Its 2015 not 2013.

Mrazek has only started 34 games in his NHL career.

I think Mrazek played well in the playoffs, but he still has to steal the starting job outright from Howard. He is not our #1 goalie yet. They're at best a tandem at the moment until he proves otherwise.

Mrazek doesn't have to steal anything. He already won the job from Howard.

Proof? Starting every playoff game in the playoffs is a prime example. But yeah...Jimmy is still #1 right? Ok guy. Lol

So, whose decision was it to start Mrazek over Howard in the playoffs?

Oh ok. New coach so Jimmy is #1 again. What has Jimmy done to deserve #1 again?

Started 330 NHL games with a .916 save percentage. Plus he played extremely well the first half of the season before his injury. A much larger sample than 7 games.

Mrazek doesn't have to steal anything. He already won the job from Howard.

Proof? Starting every playoff game in the playoffs is a prime example. But yeah...Jimmy is still #1 right? Ok guy. Lol

I'm guessing they'll both get a shot at the starting job.

This is in no way a criticism of Mrazek. Just that the team would be foolish to hand over the reigns completely to a guy with something like 41 NHL starts and who hasn't started more than 50 games since the OHL.

They may start Mrazek right out of the gate, but he will have to play very well to hang onto the spot with Howard on the bench behind him. My guess is they play them as a tandem and keep them fighting for the #1 spot.

Started 330 NHL games with a .916 save percentage. Plus he played extremely well the first half of the season before his injury. A much larger sample than 7 games.

This is in no way a criticism of Mrazek. Just that the team would be foolish to hand over the reigns completely to a guy with something like 41 NHL starts and who hasn't started more than 50 games since the OHL.

They may start Mrazek right out of the gate, but he will have to play very well to hang onto the spot with Howard on the bench behind him. My guess is they play them as a tandem and keep them fighting for the #1 spot.

A lot of folks were quick to ignore Mrazek's inconsistency from game to game last year as well. One game he would post a shutout, then follow it up with getting pulled. Those kind of growing pains are expected in a rookie goalie which is fine, but it's not a characteristic you want to see in a number 1. The only problem was Jimmy wasn't any better in that second half of the season.

Anyway I agree with your assessment that the job is up from grabs right now, and I could easily see either goalie walking away with it. Both are quite talented and capable goalies when they're in the zone (see: Howard's first half of the season, Mrazek in the playoffs). I can also see Blashill giving them each 41.

Exactly. And seriously, why wouldn't they? I have no horse in this race, so I don't care who the #1 guy is as long as he plays like a #1 goalie. Best case, both goalies are lights out but one is more lights out. How awesome would that be? Worst case, both goalies are bad with one being slightly less bad.

I don't want to start a goalie flame war here, but it seems that the members insisting that Mrazek has "already stolen Howard's job" are simply pro Mrazek, anti Howard, and are hoping one succeeds while the other fails. Almost like they'd rather have one great goalie on this team than have two. Which is completely crazy.

There's absolutely no chance that Mrazek plays another game in the AHL. Waivers only apply to players going to and from the AHL (or coming from another league, or for buyout purposes).

Frank, you always surprise me with your comments. Why would we send a goalie who was solid as our playoff starter to "round out his game?" He had some consistency issues during the season, but that's to be expected as he gets used the better competition.

Bernier's better than he looks with the Leafs. It'll be interesting to see if Babs can whip the defence into shape to help out his numbers.

Ya exactly. Frank suggested that we sent Mrazek back down to the AHL, so I asked "Doesn't Mrazek have to pass through waivers at this point anyways?".

Implying that we cant send him down to the AHL because we would lose him.