• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ash11

Free agents this off season

Rate this topic

To be honest id prefer for us to add another 1-2 big body guys upfront now than wait till trade deadline unless it's someone too good up just have to go for since at the deadline the prices will be just ridiculous

I know we can't predict injuries but the fact is we gave up janmark for someone who barely played

I believe we got a ton of depth and guys we can recall in Grand Rapids incase of an injury for a few guys ... What I wanna see happen is us add a guy or 2 upfront who are big bodies who can skate and hit, obviously scoring goals would help but just a guy like that would help + gotta think/hope jurco will be better and others like sheahan

I don't disagree with you, and while size is a definite need. I think the Wings really badly need 2 d men and a dependable scoring winger. I'd probably prefer a top scorer to a D man. I'd also prefer for Holland to get all his shopping done in the summer. Since other then this past year, he's traditionally passive at the deadline.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know when the trade window opens? Is it when free agency opens?

Opens as soon as a team is out of the playoffs. At least it used to be that way and I haven't heard of any changes.

I know hes an RFA, but what do you guys thinkn it'd take to get Justin Schultz.

Truthfully I haven't watched a lot of Oiler games so I don't really have a grasp on Schultz as a player. Though knowing the way Edmonton runs their organization, it'll take a king's ransom to get anyone from them. Not to mention they may be delude enough to believe that with Mcdavid they'll be competitive next year, and hang on to all their players instead of cleaning house and resetting the franchise.

Doesn't sound like Holland will do much during UFA season this summer, other than hope the team has "growth from within".

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/05/red_wings_not_counting_on_quic.html

I know I know. It's shocking.

I can't blame him this year though, not many top names on the FA market. I hope he gets involved in trades though.

i think that we'll now see a real youth movement within the main roster. We have some very good prospects coming up and some that no one seems to mention. Wouldnt be at all surprised to see Nosek up the depth chart next year. We have goal scorers in GR but can we fit them in? Pulks needs to be up full time and although Mantha has had his growing pains in the A can we really afford to leave him in the A another year.

Id really like to see Athanasiou get a look as well, then we have the likes of Callahans gritty in your face style that we have been missing for the

past few years. It looks like young Bertuzzi is in the same ilk and must be impressing by getting a spot on GR's playoff roster over a few vets.

My main concern is not the pool of talent we have in the minors, its what do we do with our underperforming veterans ? I doubt many teams will want to take on some of them due to their play and with others the contracts that comes with them. In an ideal situation it would be easy, but then again if they had been producing then we wouldn't have them on the to-go list so to speak.

If ever there was a time to make a trade for a top tier defensemen while giving up some young excess talented forwards in return, it's now. You never want to trade away potential goal scorers and I get that but we have too many mistakes in our back end and zero offense coming from our blue line. We have to change that.

I think this will be Babcocks message and plea to Holland.

Oh....and can we please get some size?

Edited by gowings00

My point was simply that you can't shy way from acquiring players on the off chance that they'll later get hurt and never be as good again.

Stephen Weiss is not some cautionary tale. He's a modern day Brent Gilchrist. I didn't hear anybody saying "No Ken Holland, don't sign Marian Hossa in the offseason. What if he's another Brent Gilchrist?"

That would be dumb. It would be equally dumb to avoid improving your team, in any way possible, because of the experience you had with Stephen Weiss.

The Wings passed on drafting Jagr because of their troubles with Klima. Management often looks at the past to predict the future.

I guarantee the wings make a big trade if Babcock re-signs, I'm sure it will be a stipulation In the contract

I completely agree. I think Babcocks coaching days are over in Motown unless he has an equal say in who is coming into the organization. Som elf the comments he made during this year really indicate that he felt Holland was not addressing the teams needs. I think if Babcock states, he will want Phaneuf- Babs likes physical hockey and probably feels that Dion is moldable under him.

Matt belesky is going to be a big name he may be overpaid but he's a tough guy willing to drive the net. As I've said before I'm not opposed to taking on an overpaid contract as long as they provide something. Weiss does nothing like I said he would. There are a lot of playoff and good teams with overpayed players it's part of the game, but if they're doing something besides putting up massive numbers that's fine

I guarantee the wings make a big trade if Babcock re-signs, I'm sure it will be a stipulation In the contract

I could see this being a handshake agreement, but I dont see how you get this in a contract.

I could see this being a handshake agreement, but I dont see how you get this in a contract.

The biggest trade I can think of would be Phaneuf, I mean which other top 4 defenseman is available ? Also I don't think you can write this into a contract, what if it falls through does the contract get voided or something ?