• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sjr2012

Things you would like to see for 2015-16 Season

Rate this topic

These are times where I wish capgeek was still up, but as their roster stands right now in the playoffs, I believe they're over the cap by a real good amount. How on earth are they going to afford Seabrook??

Yeah, they're over but when their rentals (vermette & timonen) come off the books, they're under again. Plus the cap is raising and there have been a lot of rumors that a guy like Patrick Sharp could get traded. It'd be awesome to get Seabrook, no doubt. But they'll do everything they can to keep him. As long as he wants to continue to be a Blackhawk, he will be next season.

That is when he was in his 40's. When we traded for him he was making 6 million per year. After he retired we sign Cujo to a 3 year/24 million contract. fact is we paid a lot of money for goalies. It was never on the cheap. There has always been this false belief that from 95-2009 we had sub par goalies that didn't matter becasue of the team in front of them. Not true at all. Vernon, Cujo, and Hasek were some of the biggest stars in the league as goalies. Ozzie may end up in the HOF. That is not a shabby group at all.

When we were spending big bucks on goalies (Hasek, Cujo, Vernon) that was prior to the salary cap. Since the cap was put in place, our most successful seasons were when we were paying our goalies around a million and were putting a lot of that cap space into our defensemen (Lidstrom, Rafalski, Schneider, Stuart, Kronwall, etc). In today's NHL, unless you have the second coming of Patrick Roy or Dominik Hasek, you can't be spending $5+ million for a goalie. Its too much and other parts of the team suffer.

These are times where I wish capgeek was still up, but as their roster stands right now in the playoffs, I believe they're over the cap by a real good amount. How on earth are they going to afford Seabrook??

Seabrook is already signed for next season. He's already making $5.8, and probably won't get a huge raise. Keeping him is very plausible. Right now they look to have $7m in space. Lot of spots to fill, including Saad and a #4 defenseman.Bad, but not so bad that I think they have to move Seabrook.

When we were spending big bucks on goalies (Hasek, Cujo, Vernon) that was prior to the salary cap. Since the cap was put in place, our most successful seasons were when we were paying our goalies around a million and were putting a lot of that cap space into our defensemen (Lidstrom, Rafalski, Schneider, Stuart, Kronwall, etc). In today's NHL, unless you have the second coming of Patrick Roy or Dominik Hasek, you can't be spending $5+ million for a goalie. Its too much and other parts of the team suffer.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/average/goaltender/

15 teams have a goalie for 5 million or more.

Of this year's playoff teams 6 have a goalie under 5 million.

Flames (Hiller 4.5) and Islanders (Halak 4.5) are close to 5 at 4.5 so really only 4 playoff teams have a lower priced goalie.

Jets (Pavalec 3.9)

Wild (Backstrom 3.7)

Islanders (Bishop, 2.3)

Caps (Holtby 1.8)

Edit: Oops, forgot the Blues with Elliot (2.5) With Jake Allen a RFA, they'll have a lot spent on goaltending next year.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/average/goaltender/

15 teams have a goalie for 5 million or more.

Of this year's playoff teams 6 have a goalie under 5 million.

Flames (Hiller 4.5) and Islanders (Halak 4.5) are close to 5 at 4.5 so really only 4 playoff teams have a lower priced goalie.

Jets (Pavalec 3.9)

Wild (Backstrom 3.7)

Islanders (Bishop, 2.3)

Caps (Holtby 1.8)

Yeah and Holtby and Bishop will both be 5M guys under their next contracts.

an elite goaltender, let alone one comparable to two of the greatest of all time, commands upwards of $7-9 mill per year and on a fairly long term contract.

Anyone think it might be worth a shot to go after adam larsson from nj? He was a 4th overall pick 4 yrs ago

I remember hearing they weren't too happy with his development ... Still only 22 and guys liked hedman chara developed later .. If he doesn't cost much could be worth a shot ?

He really ramped up his play the second half of the season and seems to finally be emerging as the player they hoped he be. In other words, they won't be moving him.

The thing with Phaneuf is, where does he fit and how does he impact our good young D prospects. We currently have 10 Dmen under contract or have to stay up with the RW's for the 2016/17 season. Kronwall, Ericsson, Kindl, Dekeyser, Smith (once resigned), Marchenko, Sproul, Oullett, Jensen, and Lashoff. The last 5 have to stay up or clear waivers next summer. Most of which wouldn't clear. So who goes and who stays? Kronwall/Ericsson as one pair. Dekeyser and ???? as another pair. Youth for the 3rd pair? Oullett and Marchenko. Sproul as the 7th. That means we have plenty of bodies to move. Lashoff, Jensen, Kindl, and Smith can all go. Make the deal and this year we can have the following D:

Kronwall-Ericsson

Dekeyser-Phaneuf

Oullett-Marchenko

Lashoff

Move KFQ, Kindl, and Smith in deals.

Next year Sproul stays up then Jensen and Lashoff can be moved.

The thing with Phaneuf is, where does he fit and how does he impact our good young D prospects. We currently have 10 Dmen under contract or have to stay up with the RW's for the 2016/17 season. Kronwall, Ericsson, Kindl, Dekeyser, Smith (once resigned), Marchenko, Sproul, Oullett, Jensen, and Lashoff. The last 5 have to stay up or clear waivers next summer. Most of which wouldn't clear. So who goes and who stays? Kronwall/Ericsson as one pair. Dekeyser and ???? as another pair. Youth for the 3rd pair? Oullett and Marchenko. Sproul as the 7th. That means we have plenty of bodies to move. Lashoff, Jensen, Kindl, and Smith can all go. Make the deal and this year we can have the following D:

Kronwall-Ericsson

Dekeyser-Phaneuf

Oullett-Marchenko

Lashoff

Move KFQ, Kindl, and Smith in deals.

Next year Sproul stays up then Jensen and Lashoff can be moved.

Quincey was one of our better defencemen this year. He's not going anywhere.

I just don't see how that much better than the group we had this year. In fact I'd say it's worse.

The only guys at risk of being moved this season are Smith and Kindl. The others will have an opportunity to prove themselves further this next year.

No need to jump the gun a year early.

Quincey was one of our better defencemen this year. He's not going anywhere.

I just don't see how that much better than the group we had this year. In fact I'd say it's worse.

The only guys at risk of being moved this season are Smith and Kindl. The others will have an opportunity to prove themselves further this next year.

No need to jump the gun a year early.

4.25 million for a 3rd pair Dman? In the cap era? That is nuts. In fact I would be trying to move KFQ to Tor in the trade. Which means Dion is only increasing our cap by 2.75 million.

4.25 million for a 3rd pair Dman? In the cap era? That is nuts. In fact I would be trying to move KFQ to Tor in the trade. Which means Dion is only increasing our cap by 2.75 million.

For one year... increase by 7 million for the following 5 years...

Plus we still have Weiss under contract...

lol

I'd definitely like the following things:

1. Babcock moving on to a situation that fits him and the Red Wings better. I feel we had those Cups in 07, 09 and yes...even 2013 with just a little more urgency and fire we should've gotten it done. Not saying Babs was a bad coach but I just can't fathom how it's possible to constantly let teams back into a series we should've already won. Babs doesn't have a good track record in Game 7s. I'm not big on the adjustments he makes(or doesn't make) and I really feel he is a bit overrated. That being said, I believe he can flourish with the right group of players. Just not this group.

2. Cleary and Franzen need to retire. We would have no Cup since 02 if not for Franzen and Cleary was a solid role player but this isn't 08-09 anymore. Time to move on.

3. For the love of God get a real first pairing defenseman. A guy that can score and actually block shots is what I would love to see.

4. Please get a bona-fide scoring, front net presence. Dude that can crash the net. A good enough player that can allow us to drop Abby and Helm down a few lines where they truly belong.

Edited by GoWings!

With the guys I'd like to see, you may see lines like this:

Tatar - Datsyuk - Pulkkinen

Nyquist - Thornton - Zetterberg

Helm - Sheahan - Abdelkader

Miller - Glendening - Jurco

Ferraro

Phanuef - Kronwall

Ericsson - Green/Franson/Martin

Dekeyser - Quincey

Jensen

Mrazek

(B/U Goalie)

If possible I wouldn't mind Thornton, Phaneuf and a second pairing defenseman. I'm sure, with Thornton battling on the boards and giving some of our guys some on the money passes and Phaneuf with a more than decent shot out back, that we could generate a bit more grittiness and offense in a playoff series. I still think we need some sort of net crashing/goalie screening goal scorer. Joe has always been a setup guy.

If possible I wouldn't mind Thornton, Phaneuf and a second pairing defenseman. I'm sure, with Thornton battling on the boards and giving some of our guys some on the money passes and Phaneuf with a more than decent shot out back, that we could generate a bit more grittiness and offense in a playoff series. I still think we need some sort of net crashing/goalie screening goal scorer. Joe has always been a setup guy.

Thornton + Pulkkinen = twine rips!

Cheechoo got 54 goals on a line with Thornton. Imagine what a pure shooter could do with Jumbo Joe.