• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sjr2012

Things you would like to see for 2015-16 Season

Rate this topic

... I honeslty think if they traded Ericsson, Quincey this summer and promote Machenko and Jensen, they would have a better D NOW and not have to deal with all 4 at once next season.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

We just added an upgrade on defense, downgrading now wouldn't make any sense. And at this stage, none of our kids look to be an upgrade over Quincey or Ericsson. If we could build a package to get someone who is, great. But trading them to make room for any of the kids would be silly.

Let's see how the season goes. Start all the kids in GR. If Green meshes really well, and/or Smith/Kindl shows something, and/or the kids show some major development in GR, we can do something during the year. But before the start of the year, no.

Personally, I'd like to see Q up with Kronwall. Maybe open up his offensive game somewhat. He was asked to babysit Smith when he first came back, and the results were...displeasing. Rather not see that again. That stay-at-home mindset seemed to stick even with Dekeyser, where it wasn't needed. If that pair's breaking up anyway, might as well see what Kronwall can do for him. Pretty sick of seeing E on the top pair anyway.

Q was actually very solid last season. He's easily the most physical of the Wings d-men. Neither Q nor E provides anything offensively, but Quincey was far less turnover prone than Ericsson last season.

I like Marchenko, but he isn't better than Quincey right now and he might never be. Jensen is a complete unknown still. I want to give both Smith and Kindl a shot under Blashill, so I'm fine with sending everyone else for another year or at least to start in Grand Rapids.

My problems with the d core, is we seriously have no idea how well the "offensive defenseman" we have will fare under blashill, because they were forced into playing babcocks structure, which was stifling to offense from the back end. So we essentially have to wipe the slate clean on kindl/smith who have both shown flashes of top four play. The coaching staff now has to evaluate what it has in a small enough time frame, to be able to give the front office a reasonable window to trade/move those who don't fit the plan, and bring up the next wave of guys who are out of waiver options after the upcoming season, and similarly evaluate them.

As for the prospects, next year q won't(or at least shouldn't be) re-signed and xo/marchenko both will not be lost to waivers, even if that means cutting another player, or more favorably one earns a top six spot this year, and the other is used as the 7th d man and will have to work his way into the active list ala tats.(albeit with much less opportunities as working into the forward corps)

Jensen could PROBABLY pass through waivers without being claimed, although I suspect the reason he hasn't been given his cup of coffee already is because if they keep him more or less hidden, he'll receive less interest if indeed we do need to waive him. He may not be the most highly touted guy, you rarely ever here him praised. But hes got "stupid speed" which in today's game is an invaluable commodity. He would fit in beautifully with the make-up of this teams future, speed kills. Darren helm has fourth line hands, but scores like a high end 3rd/low end 2nd just because his speed affords him so many damn opportunities it's mathematically impossible for him not to get lucky enough to carve out a career as "one of the best 3rd line centers in the league."

I don't know for sure, so correct me if I'm wrong, but Sprouls waiver exemption is also done after this season.

Which could be a problem, since he has the highest upside of the lot, but the furthest to go to get there. Hopefully, Todd Nelson is as good at developing d as is advertised and Sproul can make enough progress to make the lowest guy on the totem pole expendable(after all is figured out)

Or does Sproul have another year of waiver exemption after this one?

Either way, he needs to get his cabbage together.

Blashill's got a lot to sort out.

In a dream world where Jurco turns into a pretty decent PF, and Larkin can handle being more then a top 9 forward (basing all hope for this year) thats a pretty decent top 12 you got! If Blashill can get Jurco playing like he did for him, and Larkin being the over achieving prospect he was last year that dream world could possibly be a reality. I mean that fourth line would be the grind line all over again, in your face every given night. I wouldn't want Mule with Richards if he does return. Tatar i can see having the biggest impact with Richards arrival, another center that can distribute the puck, and maybe even mesh greater then did with Pavel...Wishful thinking, but it does look good on paper.

Z - D - Jurco
Tatar - Richards - Sheahan
Nyquist - Larkin - Mule/ Pulk
Helm- Glen - Abs

In a dream world where Jurco turns into a pretty decent PF, and Larkin can handle being more then a top 9 forward (basing all hope for this year) thats a pretty decent top 12 you got! If Blashill can get Jurco playing like he did for him, and Larkin being the over achieving prospect he was last year that dream world could possibly be a reality. I mean that fourth line would be the grind line all over again, in your face every given night. I wouldn't want Mule with Richards if he does return. Tatar i can see having the biggest impact with Richards arrival, another center that can distribute the puck, and maybe even mesh greater then did with Pavel...Wishful thinking, but it does look good on paper.

Z - D - Jurco

Helm- Glen - Abs

If that could come together, I think I actually really like that lineup. Just not sure about this idea of Sheahan playing wing. Maybe it's just because I haven't seen him there.

Goose-Larkin-Pulk say soft to me. with Mule it would be a bit better. I think Jurco would be better for that spot though with Mule on the first line or Tats up top and Mule on the 2nd

I think that's a hell of a 4th line. I think that both Abby and Helm can play higher and perhaps 4th line is wasting them, but they would be really hard to play against and I think would also put up some points.

I

If Franzen comes back Franzen - Pav - Zetterberg line would be deadly. They would score a loooooot of goals.

Franzen - Pav- Zet

Tatar - Richards - Nyquist

Abby/Pulk - Sheahan - Jurco

Helm - Glen - Miller

Both 3rd and 4th line would be big. First two lines would be high goal scoring.

Edited by kickazz

Z - D - Jurco

Helm- Glen - Abs

In a vacuum, that's around what our lines should look like...

My only objection would be, is that pulcannon being fed by Richards would be a beautiful, beautiful thing.

I fully expect the rejuvenation of Jurco with Blashill as the coach though, Jurco has great tools and the toolbox to carry it and blash knows the job site where those instruments are needed.

I could honestly see Jurco becoming the hossa lite he was expected to be under blash. But at this point I see Jurco as a less developed more skilled version of abdelkader... abbeys better defensively too right now, but that could change.

I still think If Jurco could take face offs at ~48% he could be a great center.

Helm Glendenning abs as our fourth line wouldnt be the second coming of the grind line though, they'd be much more well rounded. Like if he malt by and McCarty all had drapers speed.

It would however, Shelter Larkin enough that it may be a feasible line up. You could roll all four of those lines without having to do much up keep and they would get it done.

Which is the hallmark of an amazing team.

If Blashill comes into the season opener with these lines, I'll be ecstatic.

Whatever the lines we field at puck drop off in october it's gonna be exciting. Different configurations are possible. I won't speculate about lines except that I'd really like to see

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Franzen

as the top line in January, when Dats should start firing on most cylinders and Franzen very hopefully is healthy and has 20+ games under him. One last push with the vets.

A couple good reads:

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2015/7/2/8881379/ken-holland-says-NHL-red-wings-will-make-moves-trade-rumors

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2015/7/2/8886619/red-wings-roster-is-kyle-quincey-the-odd-man-out

I would be ok with trading Kindl or Quincey or Smith to a team that needs to reach the cap floor and giving the vacant spot to Ouellet or Marchenko. Both Ouellet and Marchenko are clearly NHL-ready. Hell, Babcock wanted Ouellet on the roster straight out of last year's training camp. These are not players who need to make major strides in Grand Rapids to prove they belong in the NHL. The only reason we're having this conversation is because there's a logjam (and the only reason there's a logjam is because Kenny rewarded Kindl and Ericsson with dumb contracts and now the two are pretty much untradable). Sure, Quincey and Ericsson are veteran NHLers and Ouellet and Marchenko aren't, and, in theory, a veteran is "better" than a kid. But we're getting dangerously close to Catch-22 territory.

"You need to be an NHLer for me to even consider rating you higher than a veteran NHLer, and until I rate you higher than a veteran NHLer, you can't be an NHLer. Grab dat cheez tho!"

I know, I know - better to have a veteran and a largely unproven kid than just an unproven kid. And that's fair enough. But, at the same time...if we're not planning on re-signing Quincey next summer, and we're not going to make a trade for a young stud defenseman, and we're going to continue to preach the need to get younger and quicker and how vitally important it is that the young players all take a step forward this season...maybe, just maybe, having Ouellet (probably the most promising of all our D prospects) on the third pairing instead of Quincey wouldn't be such a bad thing. Is it the safe play? No. Is it the smart play? Honestly, it probably isn't. But we have one of the weaker D groups in the league, and that's largely because we have a spectacular lack of young stud defensemen on the roster. If we're going to build ourselves a Cup-worthy D corps without the aid of a big trade, that means at least one of the Griffins prospects is going to have to become a stud NHL defenseman. Ideally, that happens while Datsyuk and Zetterberg are still elite, which gives us...two years? This may be a situation where "Eh, another year on the farm never hurt anybody" is not the right call.

I agree with the articles. Quincey is the most likely to move. He's a UFA next summer, would clear over 4 mil in cap space. kindl has no value with his 2.5 mil a season salary. Smith would be moved for the right player but Kenny will not just give him away. Marchenko would replace Q this season. Ouelette would replace Kindl.

I mean, I don't actually believe we're going to see a roster defenseman moved out before the start of the season. Kenny's not going to move Quincey to clear cap space and a spot for a kid. He's not going to pull a sign-and-trade with Smith. Maybe (maybe) he moves Kindl, but it sounds like Kindl is being treated as a reclamation project, and we all know how much this organization loves reclamation projects. Even if Kenny did trade Kindl, Ouellet/Marchenko would still have to overtake Quincey/Smith. So, Lashoff would be Kindl's logical replacement.

Oh, and there's also the fact that we spent a first-round pick on each of Quincey, Smith, and Kindl. (And McCollum. Who was just re-signed...for reasons no one can seem to understand...) (Curious, that.)

The Detroit Red Wings were among the teams interested in unrestricted free agent defenseman Johnny Oduya.

According to two separate sources, the Red Wings reached out to Oduya last week, but the veteran blueliner appears set on returning to the Chicago Blackhawks.

Meanwhile, Wings GM Ken Holland is believed to be exploring the trade market for a second- or third-line forward.

He could go after one of the remaining unrestricted free agent forwards, if he can sign one at an affordable rate.

taken from the TFP, if this is the case youve gotta believe Kenny has something else up his sleeve that may make

us all sit up and take note.

Another forward? Don't know if I believe that article , we got a ton of forwards as it is and the only forward left in the market worth looking at is semin , regardless of how he's performed last few years

At a one year deal at around 2 mill playing with pavel he's worth the risk as I believe pavel would be able to get through to him and get him going , other than that I don't see anyone on the market that's worth looking at

What do you guys think cody franson will end up signing up for ? I'm guessing he was hoping on getting a 4 yr x5 mill per type offer but that's clearly not gonna happen, wasn't high on him but if he can be had for a one year deal I'd maybe consider doing it so long as we get rid of smith/kindl but with all the talk lately of Blashill giving them a chance I think our d's done

Another forward? Don't know if I believe that article , we got a ton of forwards as it is and the only forward left in the market worth looking at is semin , regardless of how he's performed last few years

At a one year deal at around 2 mill playing with pavel he's worth the risk as I believe pavel would be able to get through to him and get him going , other than that I don't see anyone on the market that's worth looking at

What do you guys think cody franson will end up signing up for ? I'm guessing he was hoping on getting a 4 yr x5 mill per type offer but that's clearly not gonna happen, wasn't high on him but if he can be had for a one year deal I'd maybe consider doing it so long as we get rid of smith/kindl but with all the talk lately of Blashill giving them a chance I think our d's done

Then again don't buy into what coaches and GMs tell the media. For all we know they COULD be shipped off and Blash is just answering questions that were asked. If they asked him "Mike never used Smith on PP where his potential lies, will you?" he's obviously not going to straight up say "Use them? Theyre getting traded!"

Just a side note thats all

Edited by kickazz

i wouldnt say its done just yet, St Louis just signed ANDRÉ BENOÎT, so they are now in a postion of having to shed a D before season starts, now what was that Shattenkirk rumour again?

I'll have to dig up the source but I read last night Edmonton (they want everyone), Columbus, and Philly were in the mix. Of course it's a rumor so take it with a shaker of salt as I've also heard he wasn't on the market.

http://www.nhltraderumors.me/2015/07/rumor-kevin-shattenkirk-to-edmonton.html

I really can't see Edmonton giving up their first round pick cause well...it's Edmonton.

Edited by WingsAlways

IF Holland is indeed combing for another UFA forward, I think I'd prefer Chris Stewart over Semin, but I do agree, unless there is a deal in the works to shed some players to open a spot, I don't see where a forward will fit. Unless they feel they may walk away from Nyquist if he gets too much awarded to him in SA.

If Holland is still looking to get his hands wet in the UFA market, the price for Franson has to be coming down, if Holland could move all 3 of Q, K and Smith for picks, Franson would look very nice with the remaining guys and a couple of kids...

Kronwall - Franson

Dekeyser - Green

Ericsson - Marchenko

Jensen

I would like that D corps. Give Franson $4.5M to $5M and deal with the logjam before October.

re: Shattenkirk, Edmonton will give up its 1st rounder, but it will be lottery protected just in case are a lottery team again...and they are Edmonton, so they may never have to give up that 1st rounder, it would just keep getting pushed back year by year!

Edited by LeftWinger

Some of you live in the most bipolar nightmarish dreamscapes imaginable.

Imagine a world where Nyquist actually gets to arbitration, we walk away and sign Chris Stewart... then the nightmare passes and then you turn your head to the other side of the pillow and we're in the fluffy candy cloud-filled world where we can trade Smith, Kindl, and Quincey for picks and land Franson.

Never wake me up.

Some of you live in the most bipolar nightmarish dreamscapes imaginable.

Imagine a world where Nyquist actually gets to arbitration, we walk away and sign Chris Stewart... then the nightmare passes and then you turn your head to the other side of the pillow and we're in the fluffy candy cloud-filled world where we can trade Smith, Kindl, and Quincey for picks and land Franson.

Never wake me up.

So true, sometimes this board drives me nuts with their pie in the sky ideas.

So true, sometimes this board drives me nuts with their pie in the sky ideas.

I mean, I guess the topic title isn't "things you would REALISTICALLY like to see for 2015-16" :lol:

Edited by e_prime

Hey until these UFA's are signed elsewhere, they are out there for anyone to have. Didn't say it was going to happen, but if you were able to land Franson, and all you had to do is dump a few players for a pick or even to GR, why not try it? If you cannot trade K and Q, waive them, if no one snags them, let them play out in GR. Your 4 kids can and probably will play in GR this season, its just business (especially if you cannot make room for them now.) Instead of being stuck with Q and K, and while Franson is still available, why not throw an offer of $5M at him and see if he signs? He sure isn't getting his initial asking price from teams, so his demands should be coming down a bit. Hell, really all you'd have to do is dump Q and keep the kids in GR for another season, or until you can deal with getting one of them up here somehow. What lineup looks better?

Kronwall ($4.75M) - Green ($6M)

Dekeyser ($2.18M) - Ericsson ($4.25M)

Smith ($2.75M) - Quincey ($4.25M)

Kindl ($2.4M)

totaling $26.58M

OR

Kronwall ($4.75M) - Green ($6M)

Dekeyser ($2.18M) - Franson ($5M)

Ericsson ($4.25M) - Smith ($2.75M)

Kindl ($2.4M)

totaling - $27.33M

...if Franson won't take $5M, then cool, but if you could land him for basically a slight raise over Q, its a no brainer.

REALISTICALLY this is very doable if Franson would agree to $5M. The team D would be better, and its not like Holland doesn't already have decisions to make by October, this would just make one them easier. Replacing Q with Franson would be an upgrade. (so would replacing Q with Marchenko, but I was simply responding to the news that Holland may be still dabbling in free angency.)