• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Babcock granted permission to talk to other teams

Rate this topic

Two items that stick out in my mind.

1. Babs may be just getting this out of his system. Some people love to have their ego stroked. So maybe gallivanting across the globe to have a bunch of teams tell you how great you are, how much money they'll pay you, and how much power they'll give to you is exactly what is happening. May be a bad comparison, but my nephew applied to 5 of the top schools in the country (Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Yale, and Michigan). He was accepted by them all, but knew all along he was going to go to Stanford. I asked him why he applied to so many schools (I could understand one or two schools as back-up plan)...he told me "just for the peace of mind that I could get into any college I wanted".

2. I was a little put off by some of the comments Babs made at the end of the playoff presser. He basically said that no one thought they could make the playoffs this year, and the guys took a top team in the Bolts to the brink. Lame! We were top two teams in the league mid way through the season. Now we're looking for kudos cause we took Tampa to seven games?? That struck me as weak.

back in December, babs said this was the most talented team since 09. It's funny how that's changed.

This is insane. Let the guy go. We've made it past the first round once in the last five years, we obviously need some changes.

Agreed. Babcock is completely overrated. He has won at all levels, yeah, but he's had completely stacked teams. I could win at the Olympics if I had Canada's team. The Red Wings have completely underperformed with him as head coach. I don't even want Blashill if he is just like Babcock.

Please say it isn't so ... heard on local talk radio that Toronto might be a front runner with north of $5m/yr for 5-6 yrs. If true, then I lose some respect for Babs for making $$ the #1 thing. Not like he was going to be struggling with any other offers on a team with more pieces that are closer to winning it all. If Toronto, he will need all 5 or 6 years and more to get that sh*tty team anywhere close.

On the other hand, if Babs wanted to stay in Detroit maybe this is his not so stealth mission to steal inner secrets from other top teams :blind:

Please say it isn't so ... heard on local talk radio that Toronto might be a front runner with north of $5m/yr for 5-6 yrs. If true, then I lose some respect for Babs for making $$ the #1 thing. Not like he was going to be struggling with any other offers on a team with more pieces that are closer to winning it all. If Toronto, he will need all 5 or 6 years and more to get that sh*tty team anywhere close.

On the other hand, if Babs wanted to stay in Detroit maybe this is his not so stealth mission to steal inner secrets from other top teams :blind:

If it's Canada media reporting this, then it's the complete opposite of what they are saying.

Wrote a post longer than my most prized essay and it just disappeared and now I'm lazy so here's the short. I think we need to look at this from a family decision as I can all but guarantee the two most important thoughts are Mikes and his wife's. Nobody else is going to matter more. Period.

Possibilities:

A) mike and wife both want to stay

B) both want to leave

C) they both have opposite opinions.

Now, we know that mike and his wife's first conversation on the topic of where he will be next year did not go well. This eliminates option 1 and 2 and leave only number 3.

Next, I know I'm digging here but hear me out. I recently read, I can't find the quote but I believe I read it on this forum so help me out if anyone knows. Mike Babcock said something along the lines of: the easy decision for my wife and family is to stay here. They have friends,family and ties here. My son is going off to school and he wants to come back to Detroit for thanksgiving. Blah blah blah

Now taking into consideration that they argued and what mike has said about what the easy family decision would be, one can assume(risky I know) that it would be his family and wife who want to stay and that mike does in fact want to leave. You know what they say about assuming, but that's my thought process and to me, it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Those are good points unless his wife disagrees that they'd be better off staying. Then it would flip.. I really just think Babcock is torn and doesn't really know what he'd rather do.

So being permitted to talk to other organizations could help sway him to start a new job elsewhere or make him realize it's better here than anywhere available. It's kind of a toss up. But I'm sure we'll know in the next week or so..

It's crazy I've never been so on the fence about a red wings decision as this one. Usually i have a very good idea of what I want, but I will cheer just as hard next season whether it's mike or Jeff or someone not named John tortorella behind the bench. Would love Dave Tippett but not at the expense of watching blashill go be successful somewhere else

Agreed. Babcock is completely overrated. He has won at all levels, yeah, but he's had completely stacked teams. I could win at the Olympics if I had Canada's team. The Red Wings have completely underperformed with him as head coach. I don't even want Blashill if he is just like Babcock.

He's also happened to take the Wings to the playoffs with his superstars injured and having most man games lost last season.

He's also happened to take the Wings with a terrible defensive unit to game 7 against Blackhawks of 2013, probably one of the most talented teams that year.

He also outcoached the hell out of Bruce Boudraeu in game 7 in 2013 round 1.

Babcock isn't overrated. He's not underrated. He's rated perfectly fine. He's done it all. He's won championships with championship teams and he's gone far with subpar roster teams. (Anaheim 2003).

The past few years he's been trying to make a sub par roster into champions and hasn't been able to do so. Big whoop. I'd like to see other coaches try. I'll bet my life savings that many of you will regret it come march 2016 if we don't even make playoffs.

Remember the Scotty Bowman to Dave Lewis transition? Almost the same roster with a different coach. First round elimination under Lewis. Oh btw, Scotty also won with stacked rosters.

Edited by kickazz

I know there is no real comparison but the whole situation reminds me of Feds during the Canes offer. If Babs wants to leave or is just looking for $ don't be a douce about it. Holland wants him back but I wouldn't see him over paying to keep him. So what is Babs worth? Anything more than 5 mil?

Paying him 5 million or more, is so dumb. That's way too much for a coach. Babs doesn't have a magic wand that delivers Stanley Cups. If you've got a s*** organization, one that's not built for his style of play, or a GM that can't deliver, or a destination that nobody want to go to, Mike Babcock isn't going to change that. Mike Babcock (@ 5, 10, or 20 million a year) couldn't bring a Cup to Toronto. It's starting to get to the point where the hype is so great that every outcome will be a let down.

After tomorrow there will be four coaches vying for the 2015 Stanley Cup. None of them are named Babcock. This will be the sixth year in a row that this has been the case. I know everybody will list 1,000,000,000 zillion reasons why it's not his fault. But the truth is, Babs isn't a guarantee of ANYTHING. They didn't hand him a Stanley Cup just for showing up here in Detroit, and they won't hand him one elsewhere. And about 90% of the teams he could go to will be more incompetent, miserly, and corrupt than the one everybody thinks he coaches for now. So why would there be a better result elsewhere? Because Connor McDavid, or Jack Eichel, or Phil Kessel or blah, blah, blah.

He's a good coach, but is he so otherworldly good that he's worth that kind of money? Some argue that he's better than Quenneville. Ok fine. Is he twice as good as Quenneville? Because he's about to get paid like it. And when he doesn't deliver, then what?

Edited by kipwinger

I know there is no real comparison but the whole situation reminds me of Feds during the Canes offer. If Babs wants to leave or is just looking for $ don't be a douce about it. Holland wants him back but I wouldn't see him over paying to keep him. So what is Babs worth? Anything more than 5 mil?

4 mill or less imo. But if Illitch wants to match the 5 mil that Toronto "supposedly" offered, then I personally don't mind. The guy is a great coach.

I do find it amusing that teams like Toronto, or Buffalo honestly believe that paying Babs that much money is going to be a game changer. It's not a coaching change its a damn structural change these organizations need.

Babs knows this just as well as we do. Let's not kid ourselves. If he leaves Detroit for Toronto or some other inferior team, I'm almost positive it's because he just wanted to get out of Detroit, not because he could go far with other teams. No smart coach in their right mind would see any benefit of coaching these atrocious organizations. His best option isn't even offering him a position. (Pittsburg with the two best players on their roster Crosby/Malkin).

Sorry Mr. Babcock, but you've got some s***** job offers so far. Almost as bad as the free agent selection pool in the entire NHL.

There I said it.

Edited by kickazz

I do find it amusing that teams like Toronto, or Buffalo honestly believe that paying Babs that much money is going to be a game changer. It's not a coaching change its a damn structural change these organizations need.

Reality is all sports are this way. Overpaying to get out the situation. I don't blame them but it rarely works out.

A lot of us Wings fans believe personal change is needed. Not some much. But a few different "type" of players. The wings are small and soft and easy. But I don't want to get off topic.

Babs knows this just as well as we do. Let's not kid ourselves. If he leaves Detroit for Toronto or some other inferior team, I'm almost positive it's because he just wanted to get out of Detroit, not because he could go far with other teams. No smart coach in their right mind would see any benefit of coaching these atrocious organizations. His best option isn't even offering him a position. (Pittsburg with the two best players on their roster Crosby/Malkin).

Sorry Mr. Babcock, but you've got some s***** job offers so far. Almost as bad as the free agent selection pool in the entire NHL.

There I said it.

Ego.

He wins in Toronto, he's a instant God in Canada.

I think the wings will still make the playoffs and maybe even flourish without Babcock, he is an amazing coach, but I think this team is too stagnant with him here, they're trying to be too defensive while not being very good defensively. They need to play to their current strength and that's scoring With defensive responsibility, but not sooooo much emphasis on defense

I think the wings will still make the playoffs and maybe even flourish without Babcock, he is an amazing coach, but I think this team is too stagnant with him here, they're trying to be too defensive while not being very good defensively. They need to play to their current strength and that's scoring With defensive responsibility, but not sooooo much emphasis on defense

When 5 of your 6 D-men are Quincey, Ericsson, Smith, Kindl, and Zidlicky, I think you need to focus on defense.

Babcock in Toronto would be pretty funny.

Babs is used to the Detroit media that aren't exactly known for stirring the pot. In Toronto every single decision he makes will be put under the microscope and he'll be badgered about each and every one of them.

Not to mention the micro managing he'll have to deal with from Shanahan and the board of directors.

Except we dont actually have a goal scorer on this team. Maybe Pulkkinen but he sucks at other aspects of the game.

Ego.

He wins in Toronto, he's a instant God in Canada.

Half of this forum doesn't understand the truth of that.

Agree with both of ya.

My feeling though is that he has a higher chance of losing in Toronto and becoming public enemy number 1. While it may be true that he could win and become a "god" in that city. Those fans do not take a liking to losing either.

Babs is a calculated man, he's always disliked the media pressure. I'll be surprised if he went there knowing that his legacy could be tarnished by some crazy canadian fans/media if he doesn't end up being successful there. But who knows.

If I were in his position, I'd play it safe, stay/go somewhere where there is an actual chance of winning and keep the "best coach in the league" title going for him. Kind of like Floyd Mayweather ;)

If the Pittsburg job opens up honestly I'd pick it. They have the Stanley Cup experience and leadership and they've got the skills. Otherwise I don't see the practicality of leaving this team. Everywhere else just sucks >.>

Idk just my two cents on what I would do. Then again, I don't have 5 million being thrown at me.

Edited by kickazz