• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Babcock granted permission to talk to other teams

Rate this topic

Anyone that says Mike Babcock is overrated or that we won't miss him if he leaves hasn't witness an organizational collapse. Ask Dallas when they let go of Hitchcock, Toronto when they let go of Pat Quinn, Colorado when they let go of Hartley, St. Louis with Quineville..etc.

Mike Babcock is the reason why we continue to make the playoffs and I believe he will come back. The only way he leaves is how much Toronto is willing give him roster control, that can be tricky.

Anyone that says Mike Babcock is overrated or that we won't miss him if he leaves hasn't witness an organizational collapse. Ask Dallas when they let go of Hitchcock, Toronto when they let go of Pat Quinn, Colorado when they let go of Hartley, St. Louis with Quineville..etc.

Mike Babcock is the reason why we continue to make the playoffs and I believe he will come back. The only way he leaves is how much Toronto is willing give him roster control, that can be tricky.

No doubt I think he'll be sorely missed if he leaves, but IMO he's overrated as a coach if he actually considers Toronto a viable option

No doubt I think he'll be sorely missed if he leaves, but IMO he's overrated as a coach if he actually considers Toronto a viable option

If he gets a say in roster control for Toronto then I see it being a possibility but I can't imagine a coach leaving a playoff team for a rebuilding team, regardless of money.

Why was he coaching to win then?

Because it's his job. I don't think he was complaining as much as stating the facts. It's hard to replace all star talent without top draft picks. Not impossible, seeing as how d & z were drafted so late, but it's difficult.. the wings might have kids that can continue to grow their game to that level or they might not. It's hard to say at this point.

If he gets a say in roster control for Toronto then I see it being a possibility but I can't imagine a coach leaving a playoff team for a rebuilding team, regardless of money.

Agreed. But, as far as roster control goes, there's a quote somewhere in here that says he has plenty of that here.

HIFI Canadian:

I live in Toronto, and can assure you that Pat Quinn's (modest) success in his time here was primarily due to the fact that he also had roster control (without a salary cap) and MLSE money to spend. He was certainly the best coach the team has had in a long time, but also wasn't challenged to buy players at whatever price it would take. Following the implementation of the hard cap in 2005, he was fired because the Leafs didn't make the playoffs - and this started the magnification of what truly plagues the Toronto Maple Leafs: Bad management and even worse scouting. I can confidently say that Pat Quinn's departure as coach of the team, had very little to do with how bad they have been since.

At the very least, we aren't going to find ourselves in a situation like Toronto because we have the arguably the deepest pool of prospects in the league - complimented by outstanding management/scouting. The other examples in Dallas and Colorado are intriguing, but both are still young teams who have had some success and probably need time to grow before we can truly judge who the better coaching option was.

In terms of Mike Babcock, I used to completely agree with your assessment - but I no longer do.

At the end of the day, this is a results driven and oriented business and in 10 years as coach of the Detroit Red Wings - Babcock has been unable to advance past the 2nd Round of the NHL Playoffs 7/10 times or 70% of the time he's had the chance. In 2008, we won the Stanley Cup and probably rostered the best team in the NHL, in 2009 we added Marian Hossa and certainly rostered the best team in the NHL, but lost in the finals. The only other year he was able to bring the Detroit Red Wings out of the 2nd round, was in 2007 where we lost to Anaheim in the 3rd round... That team finished the regular season with the most points in the NHL. Yes, he made the playoffs every year, but he also inherited a fantastic core of players in their prime... And when those players no longer were, the results have been 3/4 years out in the 1st round. My point is, if the next 10 years were guaranteed to yield the exact same results (including 4 first round exits) would you sign up for it? Keep in mind, the players who made him successful those 3 years I mentioned wont be a part of it.

I am in no way/shape/form saying that Babcock is a bad coach - but is he atleast overrated? Maybe. It seems that his resume really shines because of the back to back gold medals (no pun intended) he recently won with team Canada, but again this is a case of accomplishing what was expected. Without bias, Canada should win every Olympic Gold they play for - they have the deepest forward group, the best defenseman, and the best goalie in the world. Of course its still an accomplishment to do it, but he isn't the only coach who would have - given the opportunity.

My real point of contention with Babcock's return is what we might have with Jeff Blashill. - this guy continues to just do it. He's only Head Coached professionally for 5 years, but already has 2 championships and 4 semi final appearances to show for it. If he wins the Calder Cup again this year (after losing the likes of Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendenning, Dekeyser, and Mrazek,) he will have won championships 3/6 times or 50% of the time he's had the chance - I hope the Detroit Red Wings realize this, and that they are actually the ones in the drivers seat.

Just heard the bozo on the mtl radio ... Tony marinaro rant off about how detroit is all mike Babcock and we'd be nothing without him and mrazek isn't even half as good as price (not even half? Haaaa) and how the habs have these amazing prospects

What a f***en joke man ... It's amazing how delusional some people are

Now after this I'm saying it now I don't want mike Babcock back ... F him ... It's been 10years , time for a change and bring on Blashill ... Knows all the kids , on the verge of winning 2 Calder cups , won't happen but if I were Kenny I'd say sarinara thanks and good luck

And to be honest I always thought Babcock was a tad overrated when we first had him ... Didn't like his face when he was with the ducks lol ... He won a cup with detroit yes. He also had hank and pav in there prime and lidstrom

2gold medals with team canada? Ya with hall of fame rosters

Had datsyuk and zetterberg from 2010-2015 from what ? Ages 29 and up? And did nothing since 09

Time to let Babs go

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Just heard the bozo on the mtl radio ... Tony marinaro rant off about how detroit is all mike Babcock and we'd be nothing without him and mrazek isn't even half as good as price (not even half? Haaaa) and how the habs have these amazing prospects

What a f***en joke man ... It's amazing how delusional some people are

Now after this I'm saying it now I don't want mike Babcock back ... F him ... It's been 10years , time for a change and bring on Blashill ... Knows all the kids , on the verge of winning 2 Calder cups , won't happen but if I were Kenny I'd say sarinara thanks and good luck

And to be honest I always thought Babcock was a tad overrated when we first had him ... Didn't like his face when he was with the ducks lol ... He won a cup with detroit yes. He also had hank and pav in there prime and lidstrom

2gold medals with team canada? Ya with hall of fame rosters

Had datsyuk and zetterberg from 2010-2015 from what ? Ages 29 and up? And did nothing since 09

Time to let Babs go

I don't think there's any need to undersell what Babcock has accomplished. His career can't be tarnished. He's a good coach, there's no two ways about it.

But it's not like our organization will fall apart if he leaves. The hype surrounding the guy has just gone completely overboard since the second Gold Medal. I'd laugh him out the door if he told me he wanted 5 million dollars a year.

In my opinion you need to ACTUALLY BE the best coach in the NHL if you want to get paid like it.

Edited by kipwinger

He's a good coach ... But he's way over praised and like you said wings will still be good ... Might even be better .... It's been 10 yrs with the same guy

Time to move on

I totally agree. I hope Ken Holland does as well.

Price has to be twice as good as most other goalies to backstop that sad team to any kind of success. Best player in the NHL right now, playing on the league's most over-rated team.

I know a lot of Habs fans. This is how I deal with them. I tell them that this is the best "era", or a few seasons of good hockey, that Montreal has had in about 20 years. It's also been Detroit's worst. And there's not much to chose between the two clubs. Also, Montreal aren't getting any better, and Detroit probably will.

Haha ... that's an old man trying to use twitter ... not meant for you to write an article on it.

Now I hope Babs ego will do the opposite of what Cherry told him to do ... go coach Jack Eichel or Joe Thornton or Celine Dion.

Edited by RedWingsRox

And who better to give Mike Babcock advice than a guy who never won anything of note in his entire coaching career.

If you want advice on how to be a xenophobic, blowhard, dinosaur, ask Don Cherry. If you want advice on how to be a successful coach, ask somebody who has been one. John Tortorella and Marc Crawford were more successful NHL coaches than Don...so maybe start with them.

He chooses not to write anything at all. Writing was invented by foreigners.

I laughed out loud...

Ha.

Cherry is effin ridiculous.

"He's only the beat coach because he's a good OL' Canadian boy, and yes a genius, just like I was when I was the best thing since time traveling Brian McGrattan made sliced bread. Yes I was the best thing since Brian McGrattan invented sliced bread, trust me."

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter