• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Babcock granted permission to talk to other teams

Rate this topic

So, how would an 8 million/year signing affect say, Quenville's next contract? Especially if he wins another cup?

If Babcock really goes to the Leafs for 8 mill a year as coach/GM, his only victory may be the massive pay raise he gave himself and coaches around the league.

Still, I'm not believing anything anyone is reporting at this point until it's triple confirmed.

Me.

Detroit has a bad economy and your money goes really far. Toronto has a bad hockey team and you never get value for what you pay.

I'd stick with Michigan.

Besides, it's not like Babcock was living downtown on Linwood or anything. The burbs are just fine in MI.

3927096-robocopbanner1.jpg

I really am curious how this might influence a potential Phaneuf deal when/if Babs goes to Toronto. It seemed like the two sides were going to try it again this summer, but maybe Babs has different ideas.

It may not end the talks, but for sure the idea of Weiss+Smith+prospect/pick is gone. Mike wants nothing to do with those two players.

If you are a Detroit Red Wings fan, you should be very proud of Ken Holland for doing what he just did.

"Money will not be an issue" - yet we were always the lowest bidder in an attempt to resign Mike Babcock (while knowing him better than anyone). To me, I don't see this is as blind arrogance, but as a brilliant play by Holland to say and do what he had to - knowing the process would end with Jeff Blashill coaching this team for the next decade. I honestly am more excited with this information than I would have been had we re-signed Babcock, and lost Blashill.

Babcock is a good coach, and should be praised for his Stanley Cup here - but his resume only shines with accomplishments that were legitimate expectations as well. He inherited Nick Lidstrom, Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg in their prime - yet only took us past the 2nd round of the playoffs in 3 out of 10 years he was in Detroit... (2007,2008,2009). In 2007 we had the most regular season points in the league, and one of the best teams on paper - and we certainly had the best team on paper in both 08/09.

Blashill has coached professionally for less than 6 seasons - and if he wins the Calder Cup this year (which isn't a stretch) he will have 3 championships to show for it. He has also developed more than half of the current Detroit Red Wings roster (who won the Calder Cup 2 years ago), and has since developed players like Pulkinnen, Anthanasiou, and Marchenko the same way he developed the likes of Nyquist, Tatar, and Sheahan. This guy just continues to do it, and seems like he gets more out of these players than Babcock has - albeit at the AHL level.

I don't think we lost the Mike Babcock sweepstakes, but won the Jeff Blashill award.

Plot twist: Holland hires another coach and loses Babs and Blash :ninja:

Edited by marcaractac

If Blashill doesn't get the job, this board will collapse.

I wouldn't mind McClellan, though. I'd probably take him over Blashill. But McClellan may be gone according to speculation.

If you are a Detroit Red Wings fan, you should be very proud of Ken Holland for doing what he just did.

"Money will not be an issue" - yet we were always the lowest bidder in an attempt to resign Mike Babcock (while knowing him better than anyone). To me, I don't see this is as blind arrogance, but as a brilliant play by Holland to say and do what he had to - knowing the process would end with Jeff Blashill coaching this team for the next decade. I honestly am more excited with this information than I would have been had we re-signed Babcock, and lost Blashill.

Babcock is a good coach, and should be praised for his Stanley Cup here - but his resume only shines with accomplishments that were legitimate expectations as well. He inherited Nick Lidstrom, Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg in their prime - yet only took us past the 2nd round of the playoffs in 3 out of 10 years he was in Detroit... (2007,2008,2009). In 2007 we had the most regular season points in the league, and one of the best teams on paper - and we certainly had the best team on paper in both 08/09.

Blashill has coached professionally for less than 6 seasons - and if he wins the Calder Cup this year (which isn't a stretch) he will have 3 championships to show for it. He has also developed more than half of the current Detroit Red Wings roster (who won the Calder Cup 2 years ago), and has since developed players like Pulkinnen, Anthanasiou, and Marchenko the same way he developed the likes of Nyquist, Tatar, and Sheahan. This guy just continues to do it, and seems like he gets more out of these players than Babcock has - albeit at the AHL level.

I don't think we lost the Mike Babcock sweepstakes, but won the Jeff Blashill award.

Blashill was the trump card in Hollands hand. If he wasnt there I would be surprised to see Holland offering top money.

You shut your mouth!! :)

I don't think the Wings are out until it's official that he signed with another team. One thing I keep coming back to is Holland himself saying that money won't be an issue. He may be playing hardball, but I wouldn't be shocked if he matched. Others have said that they didn't want to play ball in the field and that they were pissed, but Holland has only been quoted directly as saying money won't be a factor.

Maybe Blash can use that quote from Holland when neogiating his new contract. :cheesy:

If Blashill doesn't get the job, this board will collapse.

I wouldn't mind McClellan, though. I'd probably take him over Blashill. But McClellan may be gone according to speculation.

Not gonna lie. Wish I could step foot into an alternate universe for a day just so I could watch that happen

And on the other hand, you basically just illustrated all my concerns about going with Blashill at this point. He got a lot out of guys at the AHL level, and has had his own success then at the AHL level. But the AHL is not the NHL. Very far from it. A lot of the guys that are in the NHL now have been struggling in the NHL, and it's not because Babcock is magically just not getting something out of them. Some of them are struggling because it's the NHL and it's a tough transition. Some, like Nyquist in particular, are just too damn physically weak right now to play up to their potential consistently.

I'm not saying Blashill isn't a good coach, so don't get me wrong. But to assume he's going to translate his AHL success into the NHL so simply sounds nothing short of ludicrous to me at this point. In time, perhaps. Again, I'm not saying he's a bad coach. But as I said before, any coach, Babcock, Blashill, or otherwise, is going to have a rough time with the Red Wings down the stretch if the defense doesn't get a serious upgrade.

I think people are really, really not giving this enough thought. I think it's very likely we'll end up with Blashill, but I absolutely wouldn't be shocked if we wound up with someone else altogether.