• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

What's our draft position this year? And best defensemen available

Rate this topic

If Ian white can be a redwing anythings possible for colin

Ian White > Colin White

Ian got paired with Lids one year and scratched the next. I sincerely believe Babs made and broke that man all at the same time. I still feel bad for him. If he hadn't come here, I think he'd still have a career in the NHL.

Ian White > Colin White

Ian got paired with Lids one year and scratched the next. I sincerely believe Babs made and broke that man all at the same time. I still feel bad for him. If he hadn't come here, I think he'd still have a career in the NHL.

Colin white could ease the pain of all the whites who's dreams have been shattered by playing with nick jr and being an all star in 2016

There are enough euros on this team, wings need a gritty big bodied hard nosed player, preferable a defender

I don't care what ethnicity a player is, let's get a player who has a skill set that compliments this team.

I would take a Holmstrom or Konstantinov in their prime over 99% of the gritty Americans or Canadians out there.

Edited by kliq

There are enough euros on this team, wings need a gritty big bodied hard nosed player, preferable a defender

I don't care what ethnicity a player is, let's get a player who has a skill set that compliments this team.

I would take a Holmstrom or Konstantinov in their prime over 99% of the gritty Americans or Canadians out there.

It's important for identification with a team. I mean the new arena will open in 2 years (Pasha gone by then), Z a third line center .. So something to get the fans excited for this team again will be needed!

Bringing in a young hard nosed defender - preferably from Michigan - would be another step towards more identification and therefore better crowd outcomes

It's important for identification with a team. I mean the new arena will open in 2 years (Pasha gone by then), Z a third line center .. So something to get the fans excited for this team again will be needed! Bringing in a young hard nosed defender - preferably from Michigan - would be another step towards more identification and therefore better crowd outcomes

I'm not against bringing in a hard nosed young defender, I just don't think his ethnicity or place of birth should matter. Lidstrom, The Russian Five, Holmstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall etc. the list goes on and on. European players can form a connection with the fans and create an identity just as well as North American players. Of all fan bases, ours should know this.

It's important for identification with a team. I mean the new arena will open in 2 years (Pasha gone by then), Z a third line center .. So something to get the fans excited for this team again will be needed!Bringing in a young hard nosed defender - preferably from Michigan - would be another step towards more identification and therefore better crowd outcomes

It's only important for the identification of a team if the fans are xenophobic. Otherwise, as kliq mentioned, find the best combination of skill sets to create the make up of your team. If that results in all North American boys, so be it. Or if it means 23 boys named Pierre from Marseilles well so be that too.

Edited by Mckinley25

I'm so confused by this thread. Frank, you aren't even from Michigan are you? What do you care?

Or is your argument that ALL TEAMS should try as hard as possible to only employ guys who grew up there?

I'm so confused by this thread. Frank, you aren't even from Michigan are you? What do you care?

Or is your argument that ALL TEAMS should try as hard as possible to only employ guys who grew up there?

Yeah and all these Euros should stay in their own leagues. Taking money and jerbs from good NA boys. Edited by number9

Just out of curiosity, how much home grown talent could the Panthers have?

Forget the Panthers, what about the Ducks, or Kings, Sharks, St. Louis, or Washington. Those are good, quality, competitive teams. But those states down turn out a bunch of future NHLers.

When you say "How much talent would the Panthers have", the retort will always be "Well they shouldn't have a team anyway". But I don't think anybody would argue that the teams I mentioned above shouldn't have teams. Yet their states don't create many players.

Forget the Panthers, what about the Ducks, or Kings, Sharks, St. Louis, or Washington. Those are good, quality, competitive teams. But those states down turn out a bunch of future NHLers.

When you say "How much talent would the Panthers have", the retort will always be "Well they shouldn't have a team anyway". But I don't think anybody would argue that the teams I mentioned above shouldn't have teams. Yet their states don't create many players.

I don't have a problem with Florida having a team, I really was curious if any NHLers came from Florida. I know there's been a few from Southern California lately, I was wondering if that had occurred elsewhere.

There's obviously massive holes in the "have mostly NA/local talent on your team" argument that you and I likely would have nothing to debate about.

Not to mention almost half our roster is currently NA players already, including three from Michigan. There should be no issue even for xenophobes with identifying with this team.

My god what's so hard to understand about fans wanting local heroes ? I'm not saying don't draft euros all I am saying is that a team from Detroit should focus on Michigan boys first if there isn't a huge difference in terms of skill, size...

Yes it's true I'm a Euro myself but I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting a team to have more than a few local heroes ? I mean look at the Toronto boards people there were rightfully pissed that the Leafs didn't draft the gta guy Nick Ritchie. And then their so called management has the audacity to be surprised when Cherry calls them out for it.

Sure if that Provnov kid falls to us take him but there is the KHL risk and a good chance someone before us will take him.

As far Anaheim they have Cogliano, Etem

Edited by frankgrimes

Trade Howard + 2016 1st Round Pick to Edmonton for this years 16th Pick

Trade the 16th and 19th Pick to San Jose for the 9th Pick

Draft Werenski

So a starting goaltender + a 1st rounder in order to move up 10 spots?

My god what's so hard to understand about fans wanting local heroes ?

What's hard to understand is that you're stating that "fans" want this with no proof of that even being the case. You, frankgrimes, may want this, but that doesn't mean that everyone or even a minute cross section of the fans of any given team want this. I would agree with others above that for anyone who is not xenophobic, icing the *best possible team* regardless of country of origin is the most important thing. Also, as previously pointed out, the Wings *have* multiple players from the area on the team. Now, I was born and raised in MI and this means nothing more to me than a Pierre McGuire interesting trivia tidbit. Nothing. Are they good players who complement the team? Great. If it does mean something to someone else, great. You got it.

TL;DR this isn't a thing. Stop trying to convince us that it is a thing, and that we all want it.

My god what's so hard to understand about fans wanting local heroes ? I'm not saying don't draft euros all I am saying is that a team from Detroit should focus on Michigan boys first if there isn't a huge difference in terms of skill, size... Yes it's true I'm a Euro myself but I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting a team to have more than a few local heroes ? I mean look at the Toronto boards people there were rightfully pissed that the Leafs didn't draft the gta guy Nick Ritchie. And then their so called management has the audacity to be surprised when Cherry calls them out for it. Sure if that Provnov kid falls to us take him but there is the KHL risk and a good chance someone before us will take him. As far Anaheim they have Cogliano, Etem

No one is struggling to understand the significance, or lack thereof, of local heroes. People are saying it doesn't matter. We'd much rather go with the best player available, and the one that will help us win a Cup. Where they're from is irrelevant. As I already mentioned, the Wings aren't exactly short on North American players. Taking a quick look at the Wings roster from their website, the Wings have more Canadians than any other nationality with seven. Second place is a tie with six a piece from USA and Sweden. Three guys from USA are also from Michigan. There are already plenty of local heroes for people to cheer for right now, and the three Michigan players are pretty damn good at their roles with bright futures ahead of each of them as well. With the Wings getting knocked out of a tight playoff race, the conversation shouldn't be "lets get more good ol' NA boys and homegrown talent". It should be "lets get the pieces that will put this team over the top and help us get deep into the playoffs". If that's a kid from the suburbs of Detroit, awesome. If that's a kid from Brazil, just as cool.

And just a side note: the players I enjoy cheering for the most right now are Datsyuk, Helm, and Mrazek. Datsyuk because he is an absolute wizard. Helm because he is fast and tenacious as hell, and its fun watching his create chaos. Mrazek because he's an exciting goalie with a bright future. Only one of those three guys is a North American, and like I said, the reason why I like him so much has nothing to do with where he was born. Its exclusively to do with what they do on the ice.

The Wings should move heaven and earth to get that one superstar goal scorer from Michigan...

What's his name again Frank?

I'll wait.

In the mean time, I think Glendening, Miller, Abby, and Dekeyser are probably enough "local heroes" for the time being.

Now if you want to talk about finding a local coaching hero I might be willing to entertain the idea. But where would we find an excellent coach from Michigan?

My god what's so hard to understand about fans wanting local heroes ? I'm not saying don't draft euros all I am saying is that a team from Detroit should focus on Michigan boys first if there isn't a huge difference in terms of skill, size... Yes it's true I'm a Euro myself but I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting a team to have more than a few local heroes ? I mean look at the Toronto boards people there were rightfully pissed that the Leafs didn't draft the gta guy Nick Ritchie. And then their so called management has the audacity to be surprised when Cherry calls them out for it. Sure if that Provnov kid falls to us take him but there is the KHL risk and a good chance someone before us will take him. As far Anaheim they have Cogliano, Etem

Your original statement was not about how we need "local hero's". You said we have enough euros, and that we needed a gritty big bodied hard nosed player, preferable a defender. That statement implies that you don't think "Euro's" can be gritty big bodied hard nosed players. My point was that I want the best player available, and that ethnicity should have nothing to do with it. I would love that type of D-man, but if someone fitting that description comes our way, I think its silly to turn him away because he's European.