• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Question for the Board regarding Babcock

Rate this topic

I am a HUGE Babcock fan and want him to return... but here's the question:

Let's say Babs comes into the meeting today with the Wings' Brass and says Buffalo is offering $5 million a year... Will you match it? If not I will head to Upstate NY.

What would you do? Match any offer or let him walk and bring Blashill up?

Just wondering, because it seems like a 50-50 split amongst people saying bring him back whatever the cost or just let him go.

The money isn't really an issue for me because it doesn't affect the cap, my biggest concern is the term. As long as we keep Blashill in the organization I'll be happy. I don't want to lose Blashill this offseason and then Babcock next (or the following) offseason. I'd be okay with keeping Babcock around for another year or two and then promote Blashill to Red Wings head coach after his contract is up for the 2017-18 season. However, I do think Babcock is overrated league wide, and I would not be disappointed if he were to sign elsewhere and we promote Blashill for the 2015-16 season... Hopefully we find out one way or another by today or tomorrow...

I am a HUGE Babcock fan and want him to return... but here's the question:

Let's say Babs comes into the meeting today with the Wings' Brass and says Buffalo is offering $5 million a year... Will you match it? If not I will head to Upstate NY.

What would you do? Match any offer or let him walk and bring Blashill up?

Just wondering, because it seems like a 50-50 split amongst people saying bring him back whatever the cost or just let him go.

Let him walk. Just cause it doesn't affect the cap is not a reasonable excuse to ridiculously overpay someone.

What would the money matter. Babs has already said his decision comes down to winning and what his family wants.

If he goes to Buffalo, it's clearly because they've got a better chance of winning than Detroit...lol.

What would the money matter. Babs has already said his decision comes down to winning and what his family wants.

If he goes to Buffalo, it's clearly because they've got a better chance of winning than Detroit...lol.

I understand that completely... But money has to play a little part I would think... If he actually believes Buffalo has a better chance at winning, then oops ha

To be clear, I didn't necessarily mean that Ilitch should fork over the $5M, just that the amount of money the coach makes is irrelevant to the rest of the team.

I agree that it is ridiculous to pay a coach double what the next highest makes, especially when (for myself anyway) he isn't significantly better than a handful of other coaches in the league...

I've been leaning toward wanting Blashill for weeks now, but I won't be disappointed if Babcock comes back, as long as we keep Blash in the organization...

I don't blame him for not showing all of his cards when it comes to what he wants or is looking for...

I'm sure in talking to other teams, he's gotten a lot of different offers with a lot of different levels of opportunity.

I certainly don't blame Babcock for not saying that part of the decision is the money... he's already got people that think it's all about the money anyway. ;)

...but as far as winning goes. Yes, Detroit has the better chance of winning a Cup sooner than Buffalo does.

HOWEVER, if we continue in the same trajectory with players, types of off-season/in-season/trade-deadline moves, coaching, etc. are we any closer to doing anything more than what we've been doing for the past few seasons.

I'm torn about whether I want him to stay or go and I really don't care how much he gets paid.

I'm just glad this should all be over by tomorrow and we can end "Babwatch"

Edited by e_prime

If it's not about money then why shop? Any intelligent NHL coach already is pretty damn sure about each clubs chances of going to the dance.

Wouldn't bother me if he goes. Actually I hope he does go.

Maybe Blashill will be more willing to give the younger guys more minutes on the top lines.

I don't blame him for not showing all of his cards when it comes to what he wants or is looking for...

I'm sure in talking to other teams, he's gotten a lot of different offers with a lot of different levels of opportunity.

I certainly don't blame Babcock for not saying that part of the decision is the money... he's already got people that think it's all about the money anyway. ;)

...but as far as winning goes. Yes, Detroit has the better chance of winning a Cup sooner than Buffalo does.

HOWEVER, if we continue in the same trajectory with players, types of off-season/in-season/trade-deadline moves, coaching, etc. are we any closer to doing anything more than what we've been doing for the past few seasons.

I'm torn about whether I want him to stay or go and I really don't care how much he gets paid.

I'm just glad this should all be over by tomorrow and we can end "Babwatch"

Agreed about not showing his cards. Imagine interviewing for jobs and talking publicly about every aspect of your thought process, especially when you may stay and still respect your current employer.

What's he supposed to say?

"It's not entirely about the money, but frankly Kenny's offer was so low it ticked me off a bit and I think maybe they undervalue me here."

"I feel like my message may have gotten stale in the locker room and I'd do better with a new team that has some top end prospects."

"I don't have faith that Holland will be able to do much more than make small tweaks to this team in the next few years, and that's not going to get us a Cup."

"I'd really like a change but my family really wants to stay here. So I have to sell them on the idea of moving and really have to be sure about where I'm going."

People seem to latch on to a few things Babcock has said publicly but have to remember this is a job interview process and he can't or shouldn't talk about 90% of what's going on.

Agreed about not showing his cards. Imagine interviewing for jobs and talking publicly about every aspect of your thought process, especially when you may stay and still respect your current employer.

What's he supposed to say?

"It's not entirely about the money, but frankly Kenny's offer was so low it ticked me off a bit and I think maybe they undervalue me here."

"I feel like my message may have gotten stale in the locker room and I'd do better with a new team that has some top end prospects."

"I don't have faith that Holland will be able to do much more than make small tweaks to this team in the next few years, and that's not going to get us a Cup."

"I'd really like a change but my family really wants to stay here. So I have to sell them on the idea of moving and really have to be sure about where I'm going."

People seem to latch on to a few things Babcock has said publicly but have to remember this is a job interview process and he can't or shouldn't talk about 90% of what's going on.

Would be nice if honesty was actually practiced, wouldn't it?

Whos the highest paid coach in hockey? Babcock?

Babcock will be, regardless of where he goes. Currently, it's widely regarded that Joel Quenneville is the highest paid.

Would be nice if honesty was actually practiced, wouldn't it?

In the press? Not really.

It not only would be a stupid move strategically but would make public matters that are best handled privately. Say for example it is that he doesn't have faith in Ken Holland, why throw him under the bus like that in public? What does that possibly help? It only embarrasses Holland and the Wings by stirring up a media storm and makes Babcock look bad.

And Babcock sounds like a pretty blunt guy regarding most matters as a coach. I'm guessing he and Holland have had a lot of frank discussions. Him not airing them publicly doesn't mean he's not being honest.

Why is it a stupid move strategically to say that money is your biggest concern but not when you say family and winning are your biggest concerns? If it's a bad idea, it's a bad idea either way.

If he wanted to negotiate his contract privately (like the vast majority of folks who sign NHL contracts) he could have done so.

Why is it a stupid move strategically to say that money is your biggest concern but not when you say family and winning are your biggest concerns? If it's a bad idea, it's a bad idea either way.

If he wanted to negotiate his contract privately (like the vast majority of folks who sign NHL contracts) he could have done so.

You're missing my point.

"Family" and "winning" are pretty broad and commonly used terms. Of course you'd think anyone would have to check with their family and would also want to win. It's answering a question without really saying anything.

But to publicly get into the nitty gritty of what he liked or disliked with his offer from the Wings or what he considers the downsides of staying with the team would be bad strategically and frankly a jerk move to an organization that's treated him well.

And minus the TSN interview, with Ken Holland by his side, he is negotiating his contract privately.

Personally, if I was Holland, no. $3.25 for 4 years is a significant raise and very fair for his performance, how many Cups again did Babcock bring us? This offers him and other coaches a reasonable increase in level of pay. Doubling it in one move is a bit unreasonable. If Babs makes $5, how much should Q and Sutter make, both have 2 Cups in the last 5 years?

Would not let Babs use Buffalo as the gauge of salary. I'd support Holland and Mr. I if they let him walk.

Edited by RedWingsRox

You're missing my point.

"Family" and "winning" are pretty broad and commonly used terms. Of course you'd think anyone would have to check with their family and would also want to win. It's answering a question without really saying anything.

But to publicly get into the nitty gritty of what he liked or disliked with his offer from the Wings or what he considers the downsides of staying with the team would be bad strategically and frankly a jerk move to an organization that's treated him well.

And minus the TSN interview, with Ken Holland by his side, he is negotiating his contract privately.

That's like saying, minus that Superbowl half time show, he's really kept a low profile. TSN is the biggest media source for hockey, and hockey related information. And Darren Dreger (and perhaps McKenzie) is it's most high profile contributor.

Mike Babcock is notorious for shutting down reporters and/or interviews the second he doesn't like something they asked. Watch any of his post game comments (particularly after loss) and he couldn't be more combative. Yet suddenly he's doing sit down interviews, and discussing his through process, etc. and I'm NOT supposed to believe he wants it that way?

One sentence, exactly one, would have put an end to this crap a year ago.

"I don't discuss contract negotiations publicly, you'll know about it once I've signed the contract".

That's like saying, minus that Superbowl half time show, he's really kept a low profile. TSN is the biggest media source for hockey, and hockey related information. And Darren Dreger (and perhaps McKenzie) is it's most high profile contributor.

Mike Babcock is notorious for shutting down reporters and/or interviews the second he doesn't like something they asked. Watch any of his post game comments (particularly after loss) and he couldn't be more combative. Yet suddenly he's doing sit down interviews, and discussing his through process, etc. and I'm NOT supposed to believe he wants it that way?

"I don't discuss contract negotiations publicly, you'll know about it once I've signed the contract".

With Ken Holland by his side. But it's just Babcock wanting this? He could've done it because Holland asked him to. He could've done it as a favor to Dreger. He could've done it because he really loves all this attention. No one has any actual idea what his motivations are, so who cares?

And no, that one sentence would have done little to end this crap. There was tons of media coverage and speculation before that TSN interview. If he said he doesn't negotiate publicly, it would just be the same endless speculation we're having now.

Honestly I'm surprised at the amount of coverage this whole thing is getting but as an American not living in the Detroit area, I didn't realize how big Canada's fixation on him would be after the Gold medal wins.

You believe for one second that would stop media speculation? ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

If Babcock says that, the ball is in Holland's court and he wants to keep him. Or at least I think he does. So in that scenario he'll stay. Basically, unless Babcock makes some outrageous demands like full control of player transcactions (essentially eliminating Holland), he'll stay with the Wings if he gives us the final bid. The only way Babcock doesn't stay is if he goes into Ilitch's office and says "Thank you for everything, but I think its time to move on."

Aren't we ignoring the bull in the glass house regarding the Babcock coaching decision? I think Babs and many others with him are doubtful that the Red Wings will make the playoffs next season.

Moving out and letting Blashill handle that, in a sense acts as a dampener on that predicament. It Has to factor in for atleast 2 parties involved, namely Babcock and Ken Holland.

Babs sure as hell does not want that on his resumé. He'd rather coach the Leafs, which truly must be hopeless.

Edited by Jacksoni