• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Coaching Search Thread a.k.a. the Jeff Blashill Thread

Rate this topic

How do you know? Maybe the wings will be a top tier team with a new coach. Babs Haas some questionable line combos, and his refusal to demote Ericsson after so many terrible mistakes every game was atrocious. How come Smith got no pp time, how come Weiss could get 3 points in a game and lose 2 minutes ice time next game? This team needs an offensive rh defenseman. Otherwise it's actually a good team that Babcock couldn't motivate to even start games on time or play a full 60 minutes

All of this. The Wings have had motivation problems for years. I'm so glad we're getting a new coach. Babcock is very much overrated.

How does everyone feel on our assistants, Granato, Brewer and Hiller.. want them back? How much input does the next coach (presumably blashill) have? Do they want to be back?

I think they all had one year deals. I dont really have a problem with them all coming back again. Some familiarity for the older players who have not been coached by Blashill couldnt hurt. Thoughta?

I don't know much about Blashill, other than the Griffins seem to be unable to lose most nights... so he's obviously great with AHL talent and systems. Dunno about NHL, but he would probably be a good fit in Motown.

No. Just NO, to Hitchcock. He ruins players by grinding them down and turns to goonery when other coaching techniques fail. He has a great hockey mind, but he's not the kind of person I would like to see behind the Wings bench... at all. I will be really sad if they hire him. Krispy Kreme will be very happy, however.

As for Babs, I loved his tenure in Detroit - no one looks more like a damned NHL coach than our Babs!! But it's time they parted ways, and actually seems like it might have been mutual. Enjoy the paycheck and losing, sir. I salute you!

As a former Bronco, I would love to see Blash coaching the Wings. Guy has won at every level and now it is time to win at the NHL level. Babs going to Toronto will hopefully light an extra bit of fire under our guys' asses as well. Can you imagine how hard Stephen Weiss will play in THOSE four games next year Haha! Man, I'm ready for the season to start now!

Edited by freshy

As a former Bronco, I would love to see Blash coaching the Wings. Guy has won at every level and now it is time to win at the NHL level. Babs going to Toronto will hopefully light an extra bit of fire under our guys' asses as well. Can you imagine how hard Stephen Weiss will play in THOSE four games next year Haha! Man, I'm ready for the season to start now!

I believe we see the 2nd line Stephen weiss next season that we saw in Florida

How do you know? Maybe the wings will be a top tier team with a new coach. Babs Haas some questionable line combos, and his refusal to demote Ericsson after so many terrible mistakes every game was atrocious. How come Smith got no pp time, how come Weiss could get 3 points in a game and lose 2 minutes ice time next game? This team needs an offensive rh defenseman. Otherwise it's actually a good team that Babcock couldn't motivate to even start games on time or play a full 60 minutes

I wish I could be so optimistic.

Babcock was right. Where is the next franchise player in this organization? Mantha? He hasn't lived up to the hype this season. Maybe he will later, but nothing is certain yet. Larkin? He's still a college player. Even if he turns out to be the Wings' next superstar, he's YEARS away from fulfilling it. Look how long it took Yzerman to win.

Fans talk about the Wings' forward prospects and young players as if all of them are can't miss future all-stars.

#Pulcannon

Scores a ton in the minors but won't find the same kind of time or space in the NHL. Will he score like Brett Hull or Kirk Maltby in the bigs?

Nyquist

Was this season his sophomore slump? Gus scored fewer goals in more games while attracting a lot more attention from the opposition. Coincidence or could the small forward have hit his ceiling already?

Jurco

So far a complete dud. People go on and on about his potential (why, I don't know, his size maybe?) but it has yet to materialize on the ice in game. He's on a trajectory to become the next Brendan Smith or worse.

Tatar

Tots is the "youngster" I'm least concerned about. High compete level, seems to really want to win and score. Still, how many undersized forwards can a team ice and remain competitive?

Mantha

See above. Mediocre first season. Injured early, yes, but he hasn't yet dominated since returning. How long will it take for his supposed "can't miss" player that every team wanted in a trade starts living up to the hype?

Larkin

Sill lives in a dorm paid for by his parents. This is the next franchise superstar? It's gonna be a while.

AA

Honestly don't know enough about him to comment.

As for the defense, Marchenko, Sproul, Jensen, XO, and Riley's brother (thanks, Kip) aren't all going to become impact players. Thankfully it looks like DD will be. Too bad the next best defenseman on the team is 35.

Again, I wish I could be so optimistic. I hope every one of the Wings' prospects turns into a franchise player and the team has to start shedding stars because of contract space. What a problem to have! But it won't happen. It can't. The odds and history don't support it.

I wish I could be so optimistic.

Babcock was right. Where is the next franchise player in this organization? Mantha? He hasn't lived up to the hype this season. Maybe he will later, but nothing is certain yet. Larkin? He's still a college player. Even if he turns out to be the Wings' next superstar, he's YEARS away from fulfilling it. Look how long it took Yzerman to win.

Fans talk about the Wings' forward prospects and young players as if all of them are can't miss future all-stars.

#Pulcannon

Scores a ton in the minors but won't find the same kind of time or space in the NHL. Will he score like Brett Hull or Kirk Maltby in the bigs?

Nyquist

Was this season his sophomore slump? Gus scored fewer goals in more games while attracting a lot more attention from the opposition. Coincidence or could the small forward have hit his ceiling already?

Jurco

So far a complete dud. People go on and on about his potential (why, I don't know, his size maybe?) but it has yet to materialize on the ice in game. He's on a trajectory to become the next Brendan Smith or worse.

Tatar

Tots is the "youngster" I'm least concerned about. High compete level, seems to really want to win and score. Still, how many undersized forwards can a team ice and remain competitive?

Mantha

See above. Mediocre first season. Injured early, yes, but he hasn't yet dominated since returning. How long will it take for his supposed "can't miss" player that every team wanted in a trade starts living up to the hype?

Larkin

Sill lives in a dorm paid for by his parents. This is the next franchise superstar? It's gonna be a while.

AA

Honestly don't know enough about him to comment.

As for the defense, Marchenko, Sproul, Jensen, XO, and Riley's brother (thanks, Kip) aren't all going to become impact players. Thankfully it looks like DD will be. Too bad the next best defenseman on the team is 35.

Again, I wish I could be so optimistic. I hope every one of the Wings' prospects turns into a franchise player and the team has to start shedding stars because of contract space. What a problem to have! But it won't happen. It can't. The odds and history don't support it.

Franchise players are not req'd to contend for the Cup. Elite players and depth are all you need. I would say LA and Boston didn't have any "franchise" players in their Cup-winning teams. They just had a bunch of awesome players all pulling in the same direction. NYR would also fit into that category for me.

Besides, your whole post is just loaded with strangeness. Comparing Pulkkinen to Maltby?? Larkin lives in a dorm? Crosby lived in a basement for years. Who cares???

Edited by Dr Dubya

Yes it is a 99% chance that Blashill is next. That could be good or bad. Never been a NHL head coach. The only other guy of interest would be Dan Bylsma-another Michigan guy with a career winning % of .628 which is better than Babcock (.620)! Both guys are in their early 40's.

Now I do have a question for those that question what Babs meant to this team. How many guys were under acheiving? Very few. Most of our players were play at or above their talent levels. Yes Franzen, Smith, and Jurco can and should be doing more, but that is it. Now keep in mind we had to win our last 1 or 2 games each of the last few years to even make the playoffs. That was due to Babs. he got us there. Can the next coach-whomever it ends up being, keep doing that?

Blashill knows how loaded this teams pipeline is. I'm sure he'll be chomping at the bit as soon he's done competing for another Calder Cup.

It's really almost storybook. He coached them to a championship in the minors and now he'll do it in the pros.

Meanwhile Toronto thinks everything is going to turn around (like they think every year) because they got Babs. On their end it's pretty much comical... they finally realize just how bad things are, how that roster needs a complete rebuild and overhaul, and then, just when they're about to actually do just that, they are reinvigorated with false hope with the signing of Babs. My prediciton: Their is some initial success. They augment the roster to win now, and it pays off, but not enough to achieve anything of real significance. They linger is mediocrity, much like Babs did his last few years in Detroit.

Yes it is a 99% chance that Blashill is next. That could be good or bad. Never been a NHL head coach. The only other guy of interest would be Dan Bylsma-another Michigan guy with a career winning % of .628 which is better than Babcock (.620)! Both guys are in their early 40's.

Now I do have a question for those that question what Babs meant to this team. How many guys were under acheiving? Very few. Most of our players were play at or above their talent levels. Yes Franzen, Smith, and Jurco can and should be doing more, but that is it. Now keep in mind we had to win our last 1 or 2 games each of the last few years to even make the playoffs. That was due to Babs. he got us there. Can the next coach-whomever it ends up being, keep doing that?

Kindl, Quincey, Ericsson, Weiss, White, Samuelsson, Tootoo, Cleary, Commodore, Modano, and apparently to some Kronwall, Zetterberg, and Howard as well.

PS Bylsma sucks

Edited by number9

I'm glad you're a professional scout/gm/coach and know exactly what every players talent ceiling is. There's just as good a chance this team can be better with a new coach as there is a chance they will be worse.

The good thing is those that honestly believed Babcock was the problem will now have their wish and sadly the next coach has to fill some big boots. Blashill will have to learn the in and outs of the NHL first and then implement his system which for sure will take time and if this roster isn't better than the last one well by that time the playoffs might be out of reach already.

I don't understand the disrespect for Hitchcock has he done much with a stacked roster in St. Louis ? No, but he got them from one of the worst teams to one of the best teams in the entire NHL.

I really hope the Wings are doing their due diligence and at least interview a few guys and be it just to get a vipe on how others are viewing this organization and how they are thinking about the status quo. Hiring Blashill without even hearing other hockeyminds would be stupid.

DETROIT – The list of candidates to replace Mike Babcock as the next coach of the Detroit Red Wings is a short one, according to general manager Ken Holland.

Holland said he plans to speak with only two or three candidates before deciding who will get the job and Grand Rapids Griffins coach Jeff Blashill is considered to be the leading candidate.

Blashill is no stranger to most of the players on the Red Wings roster. The veterans were around when Blashill was a Red Wings assistant coach in 2011-12 and the younger players know Blashill from his three seasons as coach of the Griffins, Detroit's top farm club.

"He's a great coach," said Red Wings forward Tomas Tatar, who spent one season with Blashill in Grand Rapids. "He's a good talker. He can motivate the players. I feel like the system and how he's willing to play with the players is really good.

"Players feel like they can talk to him. He's somebody who they can trust and feel good. He's really good with the players. I feel like the players can trust him. He's a really good coach."

Blashill led the Griffins to the AHL championship in 2013, his first season in Grand Rapids. Tatar was the playoff MVP with 16 goals in 24 games and hasn't been back to the minors since. He led the Red Wings with 29 goals this season.

Tomas Jurco was also on the Griffins' Calder Cup team, scoring 14 goals during 74 regular-season games and then adding eight more in the playoffs. He split the following season between Grand Rapids and Detroit before spending all of last season with the Red Wings.

"I love Blash," Jurco said. "He just understands the game really well. He's a really good guy and you can talk to him and he understands you a person. Great guy, great coach, and I only have great memories of him."

Blashill communicates well with players, according to Jurco.

"Yeah, he's a really good talker and that's one of the best things about him," Jurco said. "Every time he showed me something it was like 'You are right. I can do it differently.' He just understands it so well. He knows what the players can do a little differently.

"He's a great coach."

Nobody on the Red Wings' playoff roster spent more time playing under Blashill in Grand Rapids than forward Landon Ferraro, who played 212 regular-season games with the Griffins the past three seasons.

Ferraro was one of Grand Rapids' top players this season with 27 goals before joining the Red Wings at the end of the regular season and then appearing in all seven playoff games vs. Tampa Bay.

He sees similarities between Blashill and Babcock.

"Just the attention to detail I think is the biggest part," Ferraro said. "They both are really good hockey minds and they care and they want to make sure they give their teams everything to succeed on the ice.

"With Blash, for him it's all about work and if you do your part, it's going to come together and you just got to make sure that happens and when we finally bought into that was his first year, it really turned our year around and it obviously ended up in a championship."

Ferraro, the Red Wings' second-round choice (32nd overall) in the 2009 NHL draft, struggled as a rookie with the Griffins in 2011-12 before blossoming under Blashill the following season.

He scored 24 goals during the Griffins' championship season but it was Ferraro's speed and defensive ability as much as anything that helped him land a spot on Detroit's playoff roster.

Ferraro credited Blashill with helping him develop into a regular for the Red Wings during the playoffs.

"He's taken me from a guy that had the tools to get here and get a chance to someone that's actually got here," Ferraro said. "(Blashill) made it clear that I wasn't going to make it right away as a scorer and I got to make sure I'm good defensively and I made a ton of strides with him working with me the last three years.

"I owe a lot to him and it's been good. He's a guy I would pretty much do anything for. I trust him and he's got the respect of the all the guys in Grand Rapids."

In Grand Rapids, Ferraro said Blashill knew the difference between handling younger players as opposed to veterans.

"Some of the younger guys, he's harder on them," Ferraro said. "You kind of want to break that junior mold. You can be a really good goal scorer in junior but you get into the American League and guys are good.

"He did it with Jurco. It took him until Christmas and then he turned it around and was a huge part of our team."

Blashill, 41, is a former goaltender who played four seasons at Ferris State before spending the next three as an assistant coach with the Bulldogs.

He spent six more seasons as an assistant at Miami (Ohio) University, led the USHL's Indiana Ice to a championship in the first of two seasons there and coached at Western Michigan for one year before being hired by Babcock.

In three seasons with the Griffins, Blashill has a record of 134-71-23 (.638).

This season, the Griffins won the Midwest Division championship with a 46-22-8 record and their 100 points were tied for the third-most in the 30-team AHL. They're in the Western Conference Finals.

Blashill is a Michigan native who was born in Sault Ste. Marie.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/05/red_wings_who_played_for_jeff.html

Good read.

^^^^^^^

Was just reading that article and what sticks out is the "I feel like I can talk to him"

I noticed that as well. I knew we were probably going to hear some stuff from the media / locker room about players and Babcock but that quote says quite a lot.

^^^^^^^

Was just reading that article and what sticks out is the "I feel like I can talk to him"

I was thinking the same thing. All the player quotes in that article make it sound like blashill is more relatable and less intimidating than Babcock and players respect him just as much. Blashill is about as obvious of a hire as it gets.

Bylsma is madly overrated. Players like him, but a good coach will coach circles around the guy.

Since everyone is singing Babs' praises about his Olympic record, we should do well to remember Blysma preciding over the embarrassing effort and collapse of Team USA at the Olympics last year. That was a good roster. Edited by evilmrt