• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Coaching Search Thread a.k.a. the Jeff Blashill Thread

Rate this topic

Isn't it just that? Only difference being we don't think it's stupid

That is the absolute bare bones of what hockey is, and how to win sure. But if people don't think coaches have a huge influence on making teams better, then I don't really know what to say to them. Take the best team in the NHL with no coach vs a basement team with a great coach in a 7 game series, and the best team on paper will struggle. In a game of inches, having a brilliant coach can absolutely be the difference between a winner and a pretender.

The Wings had a great team in the early-mid 90's. Always fizzled out in the playoffs. In comes Scotty, the rest is history. Every ship needs a captain.

That is the absolute bare bones of what hockey is, and how to win sure. But if people don't think coaches have a huge influence on making teams better, then I don't really know what to say to them. Take the best team in the NHL with no coach vs a basement team with a great coach in a 7 game series, and the best team on paper will struggle. In a game of inches, having a brilliant coach can absolutely be the difference between a winner and a pretender.

The Wings had a great team in the early-mid 90's. Always fizzled out in the playoffs. In comes Scotty, the rest is history. Every ship needs a captain.

I'd take a coach less 90s wings team over a bowman coached dead wings team.

Regardless, I'm not advocating not having a coach, or that bowman didn't push us over the top. I'm saying Blashill is far from a bowman at this point.

I'd take a coach less 90s wings team over a bowman coached dead wings team.

Regardless, I'm not advocating not having a coach, or that bowman didn't push us over the top. I'm saying Blashill is far from a bowman at this point.

Nobody is saying Blash is Bowman though lol. We are just saying that he is the best man for the job. Not because we think he will be one of the best coaches in the league right out of the gate, but because we believe he has all the tools to become a great coach. A lot of us think that is a much better option than going with some of the older guys out there. Having a coach grow with a young team can be a great think. Just look at Tampa right now.

Nobody is saying Blash is Bowman though lol. We are just saying that he is the best man for the job. Not because we think he will be one of the best coaches in the league right out of the gate, but because we believe he has all the tools to become a great coach. A lot of us think that is a much better option than going with some of the older guys out there. Having a coach grow with a young team can be a great think. Just look at Tampa right now.

Jon Cooper inherited a star studded team too

Basically Blashhills credentials are: familiarity with some of the roster

Jon Cooper inherited a star studded team too

Basically Blashhills credentials are: familiarity with some of the roster

He was won at every level he coached at.

2008 Clark Cup Champion

2010 Blashill led WMU to a top-four finish in the CCHA; best year for WMU in 15 years.

2011 USCHO Coach of the year

2013 Calder Cup Champion

2014 AHL Coach of the year.

But he can only coach kids fed to him.

He was won at every level he coached at.

2008 Clark Cup Champion

2010 Blashill led WMU to a top-four finish in the CCHA; best year for WMU in 15 years.

2011 USCHO Coach of the year

2013 Calder Cup Champion

2014 AHL Coach of the year.

But he can only coach kids fed to him.

Looks similar to Dallas Eakins old resume

Oh really?

Funny how his Wiki page has no success or coaching experience compared to Blashill.

This is his coaching Experience:

Eakins was named as an assistant coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs on July 20, 2006.[8] Eakins served the same role the year before for the Toronto Marlies of the AHL.[citation needed]

On August 4, 2009, Eakins was named the head coach of the Toronto Marlies.[9][10]

Eakins coaching the Edmonton Oilers in 2014

Eakins was named as one of two head coaches representing the Western Conference for the AHL All-Star Games for both the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 seasons.

On June 10, 2013, Eakins was named the head coach of the Edmonton Oilers.[11] He was fired from his position on December 15, 2014.[12]

That's all

Edited by darkmanx

Eakins coached NHL players he groomed in the AHL? Eakins Associate Coached the Oilers prior to that? Eakins was groomed within a program with tradition that has a 24 year legacy of winning?

Oh really?

Funny how his Wiki page has no success or coaching experience compared to Blashill.

That's all

Assistant to head minor leaguer to head NHLer, and went to the finals in the AHL

Similar

So did Babcock's. Also, Eakins was thrown into the dumpster fire that has been the Edmonton Oilers. The problems with that team were far deeper than coaching.

So what makes good coach is a good team???

Eakins coached NHL players he groomed in the AHL? Eakins Associate Coached the Oilers prior to that? Eakins was groomed within a program with tradition that has a 24 year legacy of winning?

Like I said. He has zero experience as an NHL head coach. His only plus is a small familiarity with the roster.

That's not much

Oh really?

That's all

Assistant to head minor leaguer to head NHLer, and went to the finals in the AHL

Similar

So did Babcock's. Also, Eakins was thrown into the dumpster fire that has been the Edmonton Oilers. The problems with that team were far deeper than coaching.

Like I said. He has zero experience as an NHL head coach. His only plus is a small familiarity with the roster.

That's not much

Read my earlier post.

The resumes thus far are not even close. Blashill had put in his time and accomplished more right off that bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar

That's not much

Good coaches and good teams make each other better.

If a coach had to have NHL experience to get a NHL coaching job, the league would run out of coaches. Your logic makes zero sense. The only thing I can figure at this point is that you are trolling.

Makes you WOnder how good wed be if we didn't have Jeff blashill in grand rapids eating our best prospects....

Why is everyone so excited to give a cannibal our head coaching gig?

Because he now stops eating prospects and starts to chew on old and chewy veterans like Cleary and Weiss ?! Only question is if players still count against the cap after eaten by your coach.

Edited by derblaueClaus

Because he now stops eating prospects and starts to chew on old and chewy veterans like Cleary and Weiss ?! Only question is if players still count against the cap after eaten by your coach.

That is a great question.

I was kind of thinking the reason all of our players are small and soft is because they werent enough sustenance for blash.

So we get small skill guys in bulk because of this.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

That is a great question.

I was kind of thinking the reason all of our players are small and soft is because they werent enough sustenance for blash.

So we get small skill guys in bulk because of this.

And don't forget the overriping of our prospects. We all know that a cut becomes more tender the longer it ripes. It all makes sense now.

Edited by derblaueClaus

Holland to speak with Blashill this week, while they are home for a little while

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/05/26/detroit-red-wings-jeff-blashill/27979215/

Interesting quote... "I've had some people reach out to me," Holland told the Free Press today, "but as of right now, I haven't expanded the list."