• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Dylan Larkin turning pro... will play for GR immediately

Rate this topic

I have high hopes for Larkin but to think he is going to make the Wings squad next year is ludacris. He needs to adjust to the AHL for a full season or two. It will be interesting however how he fares against the toughest competition of the AHL off the bat!

33mmlip.jpg

Top 6 go-to guy in Grand Rapids >>> Bottom 6 support guy in Detroit - (in regards to what is best for his development)

Develop this kid the right way, don't rush him like we did Jurco. I understand that there is a huge difference between Larkin and Jurco, but Jurco was also a year older than what Larkin will be going into camp this season. He wasn't ready and neither is Larkin in my opinion.

Let's see what he can do in the next few weeks, but even if he puts up a point per game, I still say he should start next season in the American League...

Probably fair points, but if he can come in and start learning the NHL game without any hindrance to his long term development, I want him learning from datsyuk and Z as long as he can.

I have high hopes for Larkin but to think he is going to make the Wings squad next year is ludacris. He needs to adjust to the AHL for a full season or two. It will be interesting however how he fares against the toughest competition of the AHL off the bat!

LUDA!!!!!

33mmlip.jpg

Probably fair points, but if he can come in and start learning the NHL game without any hindrance to his long term development, I want him learning from datsyuk and Z as long as he can.

Damn. Always one step ahead.

I honestly don't think he'll be in Grand Rapids all that long. There's going to be an adjustment period, but he's probably the most complete prospect (or, at least, 18-year-old) we've had in a very long time.

The one thing that might really hold him back is how many bottom-six type forwards we have in the system. Unless the powers that be get to thinking he could really work as a top-six forward (sort of a Helm or Sheahan or Abdelkader dealy), they may just say, "Y'know what, there's no real rush." Or maybe one or two of those bottom-six type guys get traded and getting Larkin into the lineup as, say, a fourth-liner seems to make sense for the team and for Larkin's development track.

Agreed. While I don't expect him to make the wings out of camp, i think there is a decent chance he earns his way up before the season ends

Nice picture, greatest Red Wings prospect for a loong time. Can't wait to watch him on sunday. But as for him being 190pounds. Right..

Little edit. But I would say over 170 (which I thought initially), around 180'ish.

And Mrs. Larkin be looking like a fine mama!

Edited by Jacksoni

We know how that ended.

Kidding! I'm excited, too, though also somewhat saddened to see Babcock go.

I know what you mean. I am very sad to see Babs go. Especially after his media thing today. But definitely no sour feelings. Thankful we got to have him around for a decade. Would love to see him come back in some capacity when he is done coaching.

Not that I disagree with folks doing their time in the minors before getting the call up - BUT - how come it seems that every other stinking team can but babies on the ice and they (for the most part) do just fine?

I'm as excited about this kid as anybody but I'd definitely prefer to see him spend a year down in Grand Rapids. We've been doing it (developing our prospects) right for so long, I don't want to stray from that. I do think he is our future top line center and I don't want to set him back in his development by rushing him to the bigs. People need to remember that he is still only 18 years old (will be 19 by training camp). It's not even that I don't believe he is physically ready, or that he is not skilled enough, for me, I want to make sure he is mentally ready, and I don't think many teenagers are. Let's just see what he can do over the next few weeks in the Calder Cup Playoffs before we anoint him and trade away our third line center... My prediction is he puts up a few points but doesn't dominate like many think he will. I'll say 5-7 points in 10-14 games... Either way, I was looking forward to Sunday nights game, this just adds to the excitement. Go Larkin! Go Griffins!

wait, wait, wait.. Hyman's going to bust into the system? That's going to be a bloody mess. Hope his transition playing with the big boys isn't too painful. Maybe he can split time.

can't wait to see the line of AA-Larkin-Mantha next season in GR! WOW!

...and if Hyman comes here via UFA, oh boy! Katy bar the Door! The rest of the NHL is in trouble!

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that other teams are putting "babies on the ice and they (for the most part) do just fine"... I don't think that's very accurate. For the most part I believe that if a player is drafted anywhere between 1-5, depending on the team drafting, the type of player, the league he played in previous, how deep the draft is, etc., etc. he MAY be ready right out of the gate. After that, between 5-10 are usually ready in the second year after being drafted and anyone after that is a crap shoot. We haven't drafted in the top 10 since 1991 when we selected Martin Lapointe 10th overall, so our draft picks usually need 2+ years of developing. Of course there are always the exceptions with some later first round steals, or early first round misses, but I think that's a pretty fair guideline to go by...

Also, the average age for NHL rookies league wide, since 2000 has been between 21-22 years of age. Since 2000, 44 18 year-olds have made their NHL debut, 124 19 year-olds, 323 20 year-olds, 323 21 year-olds, 330 22 year-olds, 283 23 year-olds, 186 24 year-olds, 128 25 year-olds, 73 26 year-olds, 114 27+ years-old... I'm not sure the success rates on these players, but I think that would be very interesting... My guess would be, aside from the "can't miss" players picked in the top 3-5, the players that make their debut 21 years-old and later have the higher success rate than the players that crack the league prior to their 21st birthday. I have nothing to base this on however, purely speculation on my part...

Larkin could be a future Capt, it's all down to numbers and how the new coach sees it. I mean he may give Weiss a chance and Kindl could get a better look than he did under Babs. If somehow the Wings can get Larkin on the roster for part of the season then they will. Hell start at GRs thou as unless we see several player departures there just isnt a space for him from the off.

Edited by Andy Pred 48

I have high hopes for Larkin but to think he is going to make the Wings squad next year is ludacris.

I disagree. He won't make the team out of camp, but we might see him join the team later in the season, possibly as a winger. He's an exceptional skater; he plays a remarkably mature, rounded 200-foot game; he's got a good frame for an 18-year-old; and his vision, smarts, hockey IQ, playmaking ability are all commendable. While NCAA hockey isn't AHL hockey, killing it as a freshman like Larkin did is extremely impressive and bodes well for his adjustment to the pro game. This is a kid who just played for the USA in the IIHF World Championship as an 18-year-old, the only other 18-year-old on the roster being Jack Eichel. This is a kid without any true holes in his game or even areas of concern. He's not a project. He has to bulk up, has to get used to the grind of the pro schedule, has to make all the necessary adjustments that every player in his situation has to make - but I don't think the adjustment period will be a long one, maybe not even a full season. This is one of the ten best NHL prospects.

Edited by Dabura

I disagree. He won't make the team out of camp, but we might seem him join the team later in the season, possibly as a winger. He's an exceptional skater; he plays a remarkably mature, rounded 200-foot game; he's got a good frame for an 18-year-old; and his vision, smarts, hockey IQ, playmaking ability are all commendable. While NCAA hockey isn't AHL hockey, killing it as a freshman like Larkin did is extremely impressive and bodes well for his adjustment to the pro game. This is a kid who just played for the USA in the IIHF World Championship as an 18-year-old, the only other 18-year-old on the roster being Jack Eichel. This is a kid without any true holes in his game or even areas of concern. He's not a project. He has to bulk up, has to get used to the grind of the pro schedule, has to make all the necessary adjustments that every player in his situation has to make - but I don't think the adjustment period will be a long one, maybe not even a full season. This is one of the ten best NHL prospects.

Going from a 35-40 game college schedule to a 75-80 game pro schedule is a huge step. Going from amatuer hockey to pro hockey is another huge step-something that AA and Mantha just reminded us. Both tore up junior last year and neither even scored 20 goals this year for GR. It takes time for guys to develop. The question is, how much? Could all 3 make it to detroit next year? yes. But I am not going to hold my breath. All should get there but all have things to do before they make it. Larkin needs to add 20 pounds of muscle. That is hard to do in one summer. Come 2016 he should be ready. Also, there is no need to rush him. We have a ton of C already: Datsyuk, Z, Sheahan, Helm, Glendening, Abby, Andersson, etc... are all natural C men. Even if Weiss is moved/cut we still have 6 on the team.

I disagree. He won't make the team out of camp, but we might seem him join the team later in the season, possibly as a winger. He's an exceptional skater; he plays a remarkably mature, rounded 200-foot game; he's got a good frame for an 18-year-old; and his vision, smarts, hockey IQ, playmaking ability are all commendable. While NCAA hockey isn't AHL hockey, killing it as a freshman like Larkin did is extremely impressive and bodes well for his adjustment to the pro game. This is a kid who just played for the USA in the IIHF World Championship as an 18-year-old, the only other 18-year-old on the roster being Jack Eichel. This is a kid without any true holes in his game or even areas of concern. He's not a project. He has to bulk up, has to get used to the grind of the pro schedule, has to make all the necessary adjustments that every player in his situation has to make - but I don't think the adjustment period will be a long one, maybe not even a full season. This is one of the ten best NHL prospects.

I really doubt we ever move him to wing. We need him at C long term for the 1st or second line. I understand you might mean short term in his first while in the NHL. I think it's dangerous for his development to take him away from his position. Even his first game in GR we moved AA to the wing to make room for hime despite the fact that AA has played well and knows the system better. I think It would be better to put him as the 3rd line center and have Z on either Pav or Sheahan's wing whenever he makes the jump to the NHL.

I agree that's a ways from now, though. possibly later next year. He'll have to really impress in the Calder run to get consideration for the beginning of next year