• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Sizemore3

The return of The Mule?

Rate this topic

Howdy, yall! New to the board but a long-term, even branded Red Wing fan. And I believe that the return of The Mule is vital to our campaign for another year in the playoffs and getting out of the 1st round.

Do we see Franzen back at the start of the year? Or even at all? I'm not sure of the severity of the concussion tuned with his age and what not.

What are the odds we see #93 to start the season?

post-23501-0-23531200-1432733964_thumb.jpg

I'd be surprised to see him back. He has had so many concussions. Last I heard he was skating with the team during the playoffs. However it's one thing to lightly skate and have no contact. Its quite another thing to be cleared for game action. He will likely try to play during training camp. I hope he can return but I'm not expecting him to. Even if he does come back, just how effective can he really be? He is no spring chicken. He has missed a lot of time. Your guess is as good as mine. I dont really know what to expect from the Mule.

We could have used him down the stretch and in the playoffs. I'm not a doctor, so I have a hard time handicapping an injury like this. If he wants to play, I'd welcome him with open arms. He's a game changer. Not every game of course. But a lot of them.

If I have to predict I'd say we'll see him for a while, he'll get another concussion, and then he'll retire. While he's had problems before, this is his first really long absence, and I just don't see a professional athlete calling it quits this early. Seems like he'd want to give it one more go.

IMHO the Mule should hang up his skates, and enjoy spending time with his family.

Lord knows he'll never have to work another day in his life; being on LTIR he'll continue to receive paychecks for what's left of his contract which is what - 4, or 5 more years?

5 more years. He's signed thru 2020.

Though he's a great part of this team when healthy, I agree that he should hang up the skates for the sake of his long term health and his children.

I haven't heard anything positive which is unfortunate. I really do hope he can come back, but the saga is starting to play out like Marc Savard. Mule won't retire though, and he shouldn't be forced to retire either. The insurance and the Wings will pay his contract for the next 5 years while he is on LTIR. His salary won't count towards the cap.

Franzen helped deliver us a cup in 2008 and helped us get to the finals in 2009. He deserves the rest of his contract (either playing or on LTIR) and the respect of Wings fans.

The last report we got on him wasn't good.

He didn't even feel confident himself, that he'd ever play again. He was having trouble just living a daily life without the crippling effects of the concussion.

I think he's more focused on getting healthy enough to live a normal life, I'm not sure he'd risk getting another concussion if he does recover from this one.

I agree that he probably should retire, but we're missing one point here which is that it seems that he wishes to go one more round.

He has been working out and been upping his regimen steadily. Last couple of weeks before we got our heads chopped off in the playoffs he skated with the team when at home.

People in Sweden that knows him have mentioned that he wants another go if possible. Guess we'll see what happens at preseason.

I wouldn't mind having him back on the team, but I don't want to seen him showing up to red wings alumni games in the future and not knowing where he is.

If he can come back and safely play the game, Sure.

But honestly, him being able to help raise his kids, and being able to go through a day without getting depressed is higher on the list for me than watching him play hockey again.

There was a report after the playoffs that said Franzen thought he might have played if we made it to the next round. That sounds like he'll definitely be back.

He would be a welcome addition. I feel like he is one player who would be happy Babcock is gone. It's speculation on my part, but I'm guessing that Mule was one of those players that Babs hounded - or “...I cross the line at times with a player." as Babcock said recently. I always thought that Franzen's "get back to having fun" comment was owing to some situation of him being criticized/pushed by the coach.

He'll be 36 later this year, which is at an age where many would at least start thinking about how much longer they'll play (vast majority never make it that far). Couple that with his health concerns, I can't think of a very good reason for him to come back. I think the risk is too great. If he was 10 years younger, maybe I'd feel differently, but even then, I think he'd have to give it some serious consideration. He'll have way more information than us regarding his health and benefit from what doctors are telling him, but what we do know 100% is that he will never have information that guarantees he'd be okay to come back and play.

I know what everyone here is expecting to hear from me, BUT, I really would like to see him back 100% and scoring 30 goals again. If he could, then that would eliminate the need to get more offense this summer. Before his issues, he was a top 6 guy, but then shortly after the contract he started with his concussions and has not even been a shell of himself since. For his health and family I hope he makes the right choice, even if he goes through camp and feels good, you know there are players out there that will target his issues and lay a huge hit on him first chance they get. This is said very often for those with concussion issues, but it speaks volumes, one more hit and he could have permanent brain damage. What's more important, the game or the children? Don't make it so you cannot enjoy your children and don't be selfish and become a lifetime burden on those children by becoming unable to function by yourself and needing a lifetime of assistance. IMO, hang em up, but I do wish him the very best.

I know what everyone here is expecting to hear from me, BUT, I really would like to see him back 100% and scoring 30 goals again. If he could, then that would eliminate the need to get more offense this summer. Before his issues, he was a top 6 guy, but then shortly after the contract he started with his concussions and has not even been a shell of himself since. For his health and family I hope he makes the right choice, even if he goes through camp and feels good, you know there are players out there that will target his issues and lay a huge hit on him first chance they get. This is said very often for those with concussion issues, but it speaks volumes, one more hit and he could have permanent brain damage. What's more important, the game or the children? Don't make it so you cannot enjoy your children and don't be selfish and become a lifetime burden on those children by becoming unable to function by yourself and needing a lifetime of assistance. IMO, hang em up, but I do wish him the very best.

You're showing a lot of sympathy to a guy you're regularly implied was a lazy, floating, womanly, sissy of a player. Have you turned over a new leaf?

I hope he comes back, but he's also 36 and (at the very most) one more head injury away from retiring.

Unfortunately, every concussion you suffer makes you more susceptible to the next one - so if he does come back it seems like its just a matter of time before its over. That being said, I wouldn't hate a:

Franzen - Sheahan - Pulkinnen third line.

For his sake I hope he retires. Concussions are dangerous when you've had as many as he has and another one could quite possibly cost him his life. No game is worth that.

For our sake I hope he retires. Dragging ass on ice can be dangerous when you've been dragging ass for so long. No roster spot is worth that.

You're showing a lot of sympathy to a guy you're regularly implied was a lazy, floating, womanly, sissy of a player. Have you turned over a new leaf?

It's amazing how much disdain this guy generated for some, and now that he's hurt and possibly retiring it's magically disappeared.

Don't worry guys, he'll come back so we can discuss buying him out again

It's amazing how much disdain this guy generated for some, and now that he's hurt and possibly retiring it's magically disappeared.

Don't worry guys, he'll come back so we can discuss buying him out again

"I hope the Wings buy out that weak, lazy, imp of a player right now. What a girl!"

6 months later...

"I hope, for his sake, he decided to retire. He really needs to think about his children, and the quality of his life. It's too important to be taking such risks with your health. I worry for him".

Lol.