• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2015 SCF : Chicago Blackhawks vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

Rate this topic

He certainly had a knack for picking successful teams. Didn't they used to say the same thing about Bowman? His success spoke as much about his ability to pick good teams as it did about his ability to coach...or something to that affect?

the choice is which team winning this series will make me sick the more...

the answer is: both.

not watching this series, not worth it.

(afterthought: hope Yzerman never wins the Cup outside of Detroit Red Wings)

Edited by ami

I don't think Tampa looked "uninspired" against us. That makes it seem like the series was only close because they were slacking off or something. The Red Wings are a tough out. Just like New Jersey used to be. We trap and trap and trap some more. It's not easy to score goals on a team like that. And Tampa needs to score lots of goals to win hockey games. But the writing was on the wall for most of the series. They owned the puck against us, just like they haven't against everyone else up to this point. No matter how much you trap, it's tough to beat a team when they always have the puck and you never do.

Aside from game 1, the possession numbers were fairly close. Slight edge to the Wings even. We dominated game 7.

This has been a weird playoffs for fancy stats. 22 times so far a team has posted a corsi for % of 58 or higher. Only five of those games were won by the dominant team. 5 times those teams were shut out, and 6 times they lost by 3 or 4 goals.

Here's a pretty awesome article about the Hawks, Lightening, AND Wings. It's largely about how skill, speed, and puck possession have similarly contributed to all three organizations' success. But also talks a little about dynasties. As well.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/mirtle-a-stanley-cup-final-of-dynasties-past-present-and-maybe-future/article24715839/

They left out the best Wings stretch. 71 wins and 3 Cups from 96-02. Makes you wonder how much more the Wings or Avs might have won if they hadn't had to face each other 5 times in those 7 years.

I don't think Tampa looked "uninspired" against us. That makes it seem like the series was only close because they were slacking off or something. The Red Wings are a tough out. Just like New Jersey used to be. We trap and trap and trap some more. It's not easy to score goals on a team like that. And Tampa needs to score lots of goals to win hockey games. But the writing was on the wall for most of the series. They owned the puck against us, just like they haven't against everyone else up to this point. No matter how much you trap, it's tough to beat a team when they always have the puck and you never do.

Thats the only way people who are not happy with Holland can maintain their argument that Holland put a crappy team together. Saying we are a good team or saying we played great D kills their argument. Saying TB just played bad or seemed uninspired doesn't make them look wrong.

Oh and to add. The Hawks shoulda lost round 1 if Weber doesn't tear up his knee. Darling in goal? Gimme a f'n break. And then Wild do dirty work by beating Blues. I felt Blues woulda been all over them just like the Ducks beating them to a pulp but still with enough offense to win.

pretty strange how the hawks got kane back for game one and the preds lost weber in game 2 and was out for the rest of the series.hawks must of had some kind of voodoo doll

I see what you did there. LOLLLLLL

Sad how Corey freakin' Crawford is the only goalie there to have won a cup.

Actually, that graphic shows me that Tampa has gone through the two best goalies in the league and a pretty good young goalie in Mrazek.

Chicago has played three goalies that couldn't stop a beach ball. Granted, Chicago scores a lot, but some of the goals conceded were plain awful.

Actually, that graphic shows me that Tampa has gone through the two best goalies in the league and a pretty good young goalie in Mrazek.

It does. Rinne and Dubnyk are Vezina finalists too..that's why I found it funny how Crawford and Bishop are the goalies that emerge out of all that company. Works both ways I guess, depending how you look at it.

It does. Rinne and Dubnyk are Vezina finalists too..that's why I found it funny how Crawford and Bishop are the goalies that emerge out of all that company. Works both ways I guess, depending how you look at it.

Some would put Osgood in that list. Not elite, but good enough to get the job done.

Lol. Who's the average team in this scenario?

Both Tampa and Chicago are stacked teams with above average goalies and they beat a few teams like Montreal and Nashville that are very average teams with elite goalies. This seems to happen a lot in the post-cap era of the NHL.

I'm just not getting the Tampa hype that everyone is high on. They're good, yeah, but to me this seems like the par-for-the-course stacked West team against the weaker East team. Tampa has some great players (Stamkos, Johnson) but Chicago has more, and neither goalie is super-impressive, but the Hawks just find ways to win.

Hawks in six.

Both Tampa and Chicago are stacked teams with above average goalies and they beat a few teams like Montreal and Nashville that are very average teams with elite goalies. This seems to happen a lot in the post-cap era of the NHL.

And we're an average team with an average goalie. Hopefully, that will change with Mrazek in the future, but like you said, the quality of the rest of the team is the most important thing.

Some would put Osgood in that list. Not elite, but good enough to get the job done.

True. Had the Wings won in '09 though, Osgood most likely would have won the Smythe. I can't see Crawford or Bishop doing that.

True. Had the Wings won in '09 though, Osgood most likely would have won the Smythe. I can't see Crawford or Bishop doing that.

Malkin would have likely won in a losing effort. He scored more points than anyone in the playoffs not named Gretzky, Coffey or Lemieux.

Front runner for Smythe right now for Tampa is likely LGW's favorite, Tyler Johnson.

Aside from game 1, the possession numbers were fairly close. Slight edge to the Wings even. We dominated game 7.

This has been a weird playoffs for fancy stats. 22 times so far a team has posted a corsi for % of 58 or higher. Only five of those games were won by the dominant team. 5 times those teams were shut out, and 6 times they lost by 3 or 4 goals.

Aha, thanks for the correction. It only bolsters my original point though. The Lightening didn't "play uninspired". The Wings are just a tough out.