• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nightfall

Retire Sergei Fedorov’s Jersey Immediately

Rate this topic

I was a Wing fan during that time and actually friends with people in and around the team. I think this was probably written by some sports writer as an assumption and people went with it. I just wonder how that would have started because it isnt like he would come out and say "Yeah, I am tired of living in Steve Yzermans shadow" or anything similar.

I think it comes from the fact that Fedorov made it public knowledge he wanted to play 20+ minutes each game. He wanted to play as high as 28 minutes a game, supposedly thats how many minutes he was playing in his MVP season aka season where Yzerman was injured.

It would have been interesting to see how the Wings would have managed the cap if Fedorov was still on the team. His $6M cap hit in 05-06 would have forced another hard decision for Holland.

Osgood holds all the Red Wings goalie playoff records, I think if Fed's jersey get's retired, Osgood's should too.

Ya cause he played for hall of fame teams ... Hawks win the cup again and maybe a 4th you retire corey crawford a jersey in Chicago? Come on .... Ozzie looks like a good guy but he was an average goalie who was fortunate to be in the teams detroit had ... He never had to steal a series for the wings

Can you do one for Dandenault also?

Dandenault gets one ... So does gilchrist Edited by nyqvististhefuture

It's tough... but it seems that since Detroit has a good amount of numbers retired, that the standard for number retirement is much higher. If a player wants his number retired in Detroit, he can't provide a reason for it not to be...and Fedorov arguably did that by leaving when and how he did.

Strongly disagree on Ozzie , nice guy and all but really took advantage of being on a all star team to boost his career numbers as corey crawford with Chicago is now doing

Yeah, NYI and St. Louis were real all star teams when he played there. Still solid numbers, first year in NYI they made the playoffs for the first time in years. Saved the Wings asses during the 2008 cup run as well, and was instrumental in them making the Finals the following year. Some people will just never give the guy the credit he deserves because he played on some great Wings teams. Oh well.

I'm really not trying to turn this into an Osgood debate, but it looks like it's already heading that way.

Using the fact that Osgood "took advantage of all-star teams" against him completely ignores the fact that guys like Fuhr, Sawchuk, Plante, and Smith ALL played for dynasty teams as well.

I don't see anybody arguing that Grant Fuhr's banner should be pulled down because he played with Messier and Gretzky.

Edited by kipwinger

Yeah, NYI and St. Louis were real all star teams when he played there. Still solid numbers, first year in NYI they made the playoffs for the first time in years. Saved the Wings asses during the 2008 cup run as well, and was instrumental in them making the Finals the following year. Some people will just never give the guy the credit he deserves because he played on some great Wings teams. Oh well.

He's just not as great as you think he is ... If he played his whole career in nyi and slt he would of won nothing ... Look back at the wings lineups during those glory years ... Truly remarkable stuff , never needed a superstar goalie to win with that lineup

Now imagine if we had hasek in nets as well from 93-05 how many cups we'd have

What really gets me is how people are praising osgood so much and yet s***ting on federov and he's the one who's had the way better career in detroit , only cause he chased some money along the way

I'm really not trying to turn this into an Osgood debate, but it looks like it's already heading that way.

Using the fact that Osgood "took advantage of all-star teams" against him completely ignores the fact that guys like Fuhr, Sawchuk, Plante, and Smith ALL played for dynasty teams as well.

I don't see anybody arguing that Grant Fuhr's banner should be pulled down because he played with Messier and Gretzky.

Those guys you mentioned were also the best goalies of there time and won vezina's and conn smythe's, in nets for many cups

Brodeur roy hasek and others were miles away better than osgood

He's just not as great as you think he is ... If he played his whole career in nyi and slt he would of won nothing ... Look back at the wings lineups during those glory years ... Truly remarkable stuff , never needed a superstar goalie to win with that lineup

Now imagine if we had hasek in nets as well from 93-05 how many cups we'd have

What really gets me is how people are praising osgood so much and yet s***ting on federov and he's the one who's had the way better career in detroit , only cause he chased some money along the way

Those guys you mentioned were also the best goalies of there time and won vezina's and conn smythe's, in nets for many cups

Brodeur roy hasek and others were miles away better than osgood

But what you said to discredit Osgood is also true of those other guys. If you stuck Sawchuck, Fuhr, Plante, or Smith on crappy teams, instead of dynasty teams, they wouldn't have been great either. They were all system goalies. But nobody holds it against them.

Osgood put up comparable, or better, career numbers than the guys I just mentioned. He did it on a really good team. They did it on even better teams. But only Osgood gets criticized for it.

Edited by kipwinger

So I guess Joseph was a horrible goalie because he did'nt win anything on the 5 or so teams he played for? He was in net on a great Wings team in 2003 when they were swept first round by the underdog Ducks. A lot of people would consider him in the top 4 goalies of his era along with Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur.

As for never needing a superstar goalie to win a cup..they sure needed Hasek in 2002, even with one of the greatest teams ever assembled in front of him.

Because his name was already up there, that's why. Whether it should or shouldn't have been is a different story. But taking it down is disrespectful, especially since Ilitch has taken a tight-lipped, rat like stance on this. He's a joke. There's plenty of guys in the HHOF who don't belong there. Should they be removed now?

And Aurie was actually very instrumental for Detroit during the early days of the team.

You know his number wasn't actually "retired" though right? In fact, it had been worn since his retirement. And it also never hung from any rafters right? You make it sound like Illitch personally ripped it from the rafters when he bought the team. That just isn't the case.

You know his number wasn't actually "retired" though right? In fact, it had been worn since his retirement. And it also never hung from any rafters right? You make it sound like Illitch personally ripped it from the rafters when he bought the team. That just isn't the case.

It most definitely was retired. It was worn for a few years by his cousin, to honor him (he had died a few years prior), with the blessing of the family. Never hung from the rafters but neither did any other numbers until Ilitch bought the team. (I think Howe's was the only other one retired at that time, or at least the official ceremonies for most were in the '90s.) Whether you want to call it retired or out of circulation, it amounts to the same thing. Ilitch and the team have honored that part, they just refuse to display it for whatever reason.

And back on topic, no. No to Fedorov. No to Osgood, or Datsyuk, or Zetterberg. Jersey retirement should be something truly special, and none of them are.

lest we forget the horrible teams Roy and Brodeur played for...those teams were just as good if not slightly better than us during that era.

I believe they both need to be up in the rafters.

Are you comparing Osgood to Roy and Brodeur, or are you just trying to say that other goalies have played with great players around them? The latter statement is true, but doesn't make Osgood an elite goalie.

Besides 1996, was Osgood ever a candidate for the Vezina, like Brodeur and Roy were many times? Was he ever considered one of the top 5 goalies in the world, let alone for a stretch of time? No is the answer to both questions. He's not elite. He's a good goalie that accumulated wins because he played with great players around him. And unlike Roy and Brodeur, he never stood out for individual awards or nominations.

Wings fans overrate Osgood. I've done it before too. But you need to see things in context.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest sexywingsfan

Fedorov was the best player what Detroit ever have and I hate Yzerman...

But what you said to discredit Osgood is also true of those other guys. If you stuck Sawchuck, Fuhr, Plante, or Smith on crappy teams, instead of dynasty teams, they wouldn't have been great either. They were all system goalies. But nobody holds it against them.

Osgood put up comparable, or better, career numbers than the guys I just mentioned. He did it on a really good team. They did it on even better teams. But only Osgood gets criticized for it.

I'm pretty sure you and I weren't old enough to see sawchuck and plante but I do know they won awards and back then there weren't many teams to choose from to go play for good or bad

As for smith and fuhr they also won awards and were 2 of the better goalies of the 70s-80s , no way is that the case of osgood

Now you wanna talk numbers .... Even you can't deny there was more goal scoring back in the day than the last 15 yrs so obviously goalies like Ozzie will have better numbers than past goalies

You look around last few years and guys like mike smith and niemi had some great numbers compared to back in the day but I don't believe they are any better

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

And back on topic, no. No to Fedorov. No to Osgood, or Datsyuk, or Zetterberg. Jersey retirement should be something truly special, and none of them are.

I would say no to all of those except Datsyuk (possibly). Dats is a special player.

I don't remember much of Feds playing. I know he was good, but I'm curious as to how he compares to Pavel.

Edited by roboturner

This forum has sunk to a new low thanks to the likes of you.

Datsyuk is an amazing player, one of the best currently playing in the world today. Any sane hockey fan or expert OR PLAYER would agree.