• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Report: Jeff Petry and Munn-tree-all ruin 2015 free agency

Rate this topic

Not necessarily. If Petry's contract is accepted as fair market value, it will potentially raise the future contracts for all UFA's this summer. That isn't good for the Wings.

Well if you think of Orpik at 5.5 last year and add a year's cap increase/artificial inflation Petry make some sense as fair market value.

not to mention our former coach, but I said as soon as he went to TO that there would be no way Weiss, Smith and Jurco would be traded there now. They had to be the most in the doghouse than anyone! Weiss would never waive his NTC to go and play for him again anyway. (Well I cannot say never because I don't know what he is thinking, but you get the idea.)

Anyhow, related to the subject. I mentioned that with this signing that Phanuef may be our cheapest option now, Franson, Green, Martin, they are all going to get at least $7M on the market. They may take hometown discounts to stay where they are, but if they hit the open market, look out! Outside of just rolling the dice with the kids, I believe the only way to improve the D without destroying the cap is via trade. With the doghouse gang most likely NOT going to TO, now we really have to become creative if we want Phanuef or look at other options and other teams. We can save that discussion for a "trade scenario" so we don't change the subject again here.

I say good for Petry, it's his "prime" contract, so he should've tried to get what he could! I am 99% sure that Holland wouldn't have offered him anywhere near that to play here, especially since he is from Ann Arbor, Holland would have tried to get a double discount out of him!

Here's something we have to think about also. Even though they are both RFA's (Smith now and Dekeyser next year) how much are they going to cost us? Even going to arbitration may work more in their favor over Holland's. Also, even though KFQ was probably gone anyhow after next year, can you imagine they amount he will probably get as a UFA? Not that he is any better than Petry, but you have to figure Q will ask for at least what Petry got, if not more depending on how other D-men sign this year. I hope and pray that the KFQ experiment is over after next season...unless, of course he has a year that makes him into an elite d-man...

not to mention our former coach, but I said as soon as he went to TO that there would be no way Weiss, Smith and Jurco would be traded there now. They had to be the most in the doghouse than anyone! Weiss would never waive his NTC to go and play for him again anyway. (Well I cannot say never because I don't know what he is thinking, but you get the idea.)

Anyhow, related to the subject. I mentioned that with this signing that Phanuef may be our cheapest option now, Franson, Green, Martin, they are all going to get at least $7M on the market. They may take hometown discounts to stay where they are, but if they hit the open market, look out! Outside of just rolling the dice with the kids, I believe the only way to improve the D without destroying the cap is via trade. With the doghouse gang most likely NOT going to TO, now we really have to become creative if we want Phanuef or look at other options and other teams. We can save that discussion for a "trade scenario" so we don't change the subject again here.

I say good for Petry, it's his "prime" contract, so he should've tried to get what he could! I am 99% sure that Holland wouldn't have offered him anywhere near that to play here, especially since he is from Ann Arbor, Holland would have tried to get a double discount out of him!

Here's something we have to think about also. Even though they are both RFA's (Smith now and Dekeyser next year) how much are they going to cost us? Even going to arbitration may work more in their favor over Holland's. Also, even though KFQ was probably gone anyhow after next year, can you imagine they amount he will probably get as a UFA? Not that he is any better than Petry, but you have to figure Q will ask for at least what Petry got, if not more depending on how other D-men sign this year. I hope and pray that the KFQ experiment is over after next season...unless, of course he has a year that makes him into an elite d-man...

I'll bet you $100, to a charity of your choosing, if ANY of Franson, Green, or Martin get 7 million dollars AAV. I'll bet you $500 dollars, to a charity of your choosing if ALL of them do (as you're suggesting).

Deal?

Edited by kipwinger

I am not a betting man, but are you suggesting that Mike Green will not get at least $1.5M more than Jeff Petry on the open market? I believe they are in better positions to get more, unless they take less to stay where they are at.

Edited by LeftWinger

I am not a betting man, but are you suggesting that Mike Green will not get at least $1.5M more than Jeff Petry on the open market? I believe they are in better positions to get more, unless they take less to stay where they are at.

I am 100% suggesting that none of Green, Franson, or Martin will get 7 million dollars AAV. And I'll be happy to bet anybody who thinks they will. I'll take it a step further and state that all three will leave the teams they're on now, and none will get 7 million.

This whole notion that one bad contract inflates the market is overblown. It happens, but not like people think. The cap still constrains the upper limit on these contracts. For example: Orpik got overpayed. But his overpayment didn't noticeably affect the price for Niskanen, who was the better player. The fact that Orpik was making 5.5 million didn't suddenly mean that teams would be willing to give Niskanen 7 million. That's what people thought would happen, but it didn't. Because that's still WAY too much money to give anybody who isn't a franchise player.

I certainly hope you are right, because I'd like to see Green here for about $5M-ish range. I'd also welcome Franson or a trade to bring in another D-Man. Going with all kids for Blash's first year could be disastrous.

In these cases, demand determines the price FAR more than the price of comparable goods (players) does. Prices go WAY up because of bidding wars, they go up a little because of inflation. And once the price gets too high (6 millionish?) the demand starts to fall dramatically. Particularly for guys like Green, Franson, or Martin. Because all of them, while pretty solid in most aspects, still have significant shortcomings as players.

If I had to handicap it I'd say Martin will get 4.5-5 million for 3-4 years. Franson will get 5.75 for 6-7 years. And Green will get 6-6.3 million on a 2-3 year deal.

I know most of you probably saw him on that terrible Alberta team, but Petry actually played pretty well for Munn-Tree-All in the PO's

They also have to deal with Gonchar leaving, and Markov aging... my guess is they didn't want him coming near the open market

I know most of you probably saw him on that terrible Alberta team, but Petry actually played pretty well for Munn-Tree-All in the PO's

They also have to deal with Gonchar leaving, and Markov aging... my guess is they didn't want him coming near the open market

Yeah, all my Montreal friends were really impressed. I didn't see him enough to judge, but he did score a couple of goals for them in the playoffs. The right-handed factor also inflates his price since they are are harder to find.