• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Which Sweater Do RWs Retire First - Feds or Ozzy?

Rate this topic

Retire 91 or 30 first?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What the heck.. Where is the 'None' button?

None of those players will have their jerseys retired. It's original six Gordie Howe Detroit, not a florida team playing hockey when folks are suntanning outside and couldn't give a s***.

Don't get me too wrong those players are good, Fedorov was probably born on skates. I wouldn't have lifted an eyebrow if he skated in an individual program in the olympics.

But they are not generational players. Like Howe. Like Yzerman. Like Lidström.

No siree.

As a sidenote, I personally nominee Holmström as a generational player and should have his jersey retired at the Joe.

Edited by Jacksoni

If I had to choose, I'd say feds, just because of his significance to the club/the Russian five factor and what he went through to play here.

If he would've stayed here he'd be in the rafters already.

That said I don't think either of them will be.

And if you just looked at hardware, Osgood should be retired too, But I don't see it happening

Holland will have a jersey raised before Red Kelly.

Is it because most people here have never heard of Red Kelly? Or is it because Kelly was traded?

Osgood and Fedorov also played for other teams. And Kelly's all time NHL ranking is higher than either player's. He should have his number retired as he's one of the 5 or 6 best players this franchise ever had.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Of the 2 I'd probably go with Osgood, but if the option was there I'd have voted neither.

I can't see Fedorov getting his # retired given the offer sheet he signed with Carolina and given the way he left for Anaheim right after they eliminated the Wings from the playoffs.

Is it because most people here have never heard of Red Kelly? Or is it because Kelly was traded?

Osgood and Fedorov also played for other teams. And Kelly's all time NHL ranking is higher than either player's. He should have his number retired as he's one of the 5 or 6 best players this franchise ever had.

No I agree with you, it should be there. I was just saying it's that unlikely his jersey will be raised so I used the Holland example.

I don't think either will be retired, but if one of the two do get retired I think it will be Osgood. He may have not had the natural skill set as some other players, but his accomplishments were impressive. Too bad the Wings didn't win the cup in '09 with Ozzy winning the Conn Smyth. One more cup, and a conn smythe, I believe that would have been enough for HOF & getting his jersey retired. He really was 1 game away.

Surprised at all the hate federov is getting , gotta think most people still haven't got over the fact that he left detroit ... It's the new nhl, it's harder to see a player stay with the same team during 20 yrs

He stayed in detroit for 13 years.... Not chump change ... Helped us win 3 cups , which without him we don't win and won multiple awards

Now I gotta ask and gotta think most will say yes ....if federov's career finished after year 13 and never went to another team would his jersey be retired in detroit?

If it's yes then I just think some haven't forgiven him for leaving which is sad cause he was a star player in detroit for along time and deserves more appreciation

Surprised at all the hate federov is getting , gotta think most people still haven't got over the fact that he left detroit ... It's the new nhl, it's harder to see a player stay with the same team during 20 yrs

He stayed in detroit for 13 years.... Not chump change ... Helped us win 3 cups , which without him we don't win and won multiple awards

Now I gotta ask and gotta think most will say yes ....if federov's career finished after year 13 and never went to another team would his jersey be retired in detroit?

If it's yes then I just think some haven't forgiven him for leaving which is sad cause he was a star player in detroit for along time and deserves more appreciation

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that I can't speak for everyone here, but I've still got a bit of man love for Fedorov. That gets more awkward when I remember the tv guys pronouncing his first name "Sir ***". I have no issue with the fact that he went to a lesser team, because as you said, that's the way it is. He was pretty awesome. I just don't think it was enough to retire his number. Had he stayed, it may be different, but only because he would have had more time to warrant a retiring of his number.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that I can't speak for everyone here, but I've still got a bit of man love for Fedorov. That gets more awkward when I remember the tv guys pronouncing his first name "Sir ***". I have no issue with the fact that he went to a lesser team, because as you said, that's the way it is. He was pretty awesome. I just don't think it was enough to retire his number. Had he stayed, it may be different, but only because he would have had more time to warrant a retiring of his number.

He had almost 1000 pts as a wing and is number 3 on all time playoff points with 163 pts (22 behind with 34 less games played) ... Think those numbers speak for themselves

If he retired after 13 yrs as a redwing would you of said yes?