• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

evilmrt

Report: Cleary wants to return for 1 more season

Rate this topic

People would make a big deal about it, and it would be pretty funny. But in all seriousness, for a spot at the bottom of the roster he's probably better than most options.

Sort of an extra coach/mentor. If we needed someone to contribute on the ice we could call up a kid. Better to have Clearly sitting in the pressbox than someone like Jurco or Pulkkinen.

Of course it all depends on what else happens with the roster.

Put him in on the Maltby plan. Sign him, but let him retire if he doesn't make the team at camp, and give him an office job.

If he makes it, we have someone who can be counted on to fill in if there is an injury and is a good motivational person in the dressing room. If not, best wishes and we'll see you in a suit.

Haha, me too.

Seriously though, I would love to see him sign a 2 way deal and go down to the Griffins and give them some veteran leadership.

My problem with this is that his off ice workouts are sorely lacking, not the example you want to set.

Lol. I kind of want it to happen just to see people lose their minds.

Exactly. People are going to lose their s*** over a guy that played 17 games last season and probably would play even less under Blashill. He's a veteran presence in the locker room that the Red Wings feel they need to take care of, for better or worse. His impact as a hockey player will not have any affect on the team going forward.

If he want's to keep playing hockey, I can't blame him. Sign him to an AHL contract so that he can mentor the boys up there and possibly ready him for a coaching gig.. Signing him to an NHL contract is going to waste the same roster spot that he wasted last season and the Wings are going to lose another up and coming talent through waivers in order to keep Cleary.

Someone please Photoshop Cleary on a maple leaf Jersey. Then report it to Twitter to have it hastagged and trended and hopefully after that shanaban will sign him

I think the Cleary/Leafs Photoshop was done in the Babcock signing with the Leafs thread.

Exactly. People are going to lose their s*** over a guy that played 17 games last season and probably would play even less under Blashill. He's a veteran presence in the locker room that the Red Wings feel they need to take care of, for better or worse. His impact as a hockey player will not have any affect on the team going forward.

He'd be taking a roster spot. That affects the team going forward. Sort of like if I told you Detroit would only be allowed a 22 man roster. Believe it of not, it matters. I won't freak out if Cleary comes back for another tour, but he can't really play hockey anymore. I'd rather they invent another role for him.

After the RFA's sign, we won't have the cap room to bring him back.

Either you plan on paying the RFA's far more than they are worth, or you think Cleary is going to sign for 10 times what he's worth.

The Wings have 14-20 million dollars in cap space depending on LTIR and potential buyouts, and only 2 RFA's are going to get any real money and both of them will still likely be less than 3 a season.

He'd be taking a roster spot. That affects the team going forward. Sort of like if I told you Detroit would only be allowed a 22 man roster. Believe it of not, it matters. I won't freak out if Cleary comes back for another tour, but he can't really play hockey anymore. I'd rather they invent another role for him.

Who is really at stake, though? Nestrasil was never going to have a permanent spot for the Red Wings and Cleary as the 14th forward isn't blocking a prospect from playing time.

I don't like it either, but it's the very last spot on the roster. Cleary as a healthy scratch is better than wasting someone else there.

Who is really at stake, though? Nestrasil was never going to have a permanent spot for the Red Wings and Cleary as the 14th forward isn't blocking a prospect from playing time.

I don't like it either, but it's the very last spot on the roster. Cleary as a healthy scratch is better than wasting someone else there.

Honestly, probably Andersson. Which I cant say I really bothers me.

I don't hate Dan Cleary, but he's starting to remind me of that guy who just sort of invites himself to everything.

Exactly. I don't want to hate on the guy like many do here, but he should know by now that it's time to move on.

Honestly, probably Andersson. Which I cant say I really bothers me.

Agreed. Another expendable player, just like Nestrasil was. The whole point is that Cleary on the team isn't going to prevent better players from actually getting into the games. Somebody has to be your 14th forward -- better someone like Cleary than a prospect who could be playing every night in Grand Rapids.

Agreed. Another expendable player, just like Nestrasil was. The whole point is that Cleary on the team isn't going to prevent better players from actually getting into the games. Somebody has to be your 14th forward -- better someone like Cleary than a prospect who could be playing every night in Grand Rapids.

Except Callahan, Ferraro, and Pulkinnen can't play in GRs without clearing waivers. But yes, if Holland wants his 14th forward to be mostly useless on the ice, but good to have around in the dressing room then you can do no better than Cleary.

When I first read the headline I thought ... As long as it's not with the redwings who cares ...good on him , go play with a buffalo type bottom team and have fun

Then I clicked the link and says he wants to join the wings .... LOL

I think it's quite clear he just wants the money at this point since he barely played last year ,probably pissed he missed out on the mufti year deal from the flyers

Just give him 1.5 million for his first year as a scout and call it a career

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Haha, me too.

Seriously though, I would love to see him sign a 2 way deal and go down to the Griffins and give them some veteran leadership.

NO THANKS! They already have veteran leadership and that CAPTAIN played every single game this past season.

When was the last time Cleary managed a full season.

Except Callahan, Ferraro, and Pulkinnen can't play in GRs without clearing waivers. But yes, if Holland wants his 14th forward to be mostly useless on the ice, but good to have around in the dressing room then you can do no better than Cleary.

Pulkkinen is so far ahead of Cleary on the depth chart, that's largely irrelevant. Pulkkinen is going to play regardless. I would assume Ferraro would get every shot to play on the 4th line again and Callahan is a fringe NHL player, just like Nestrasil. Callahan could probably clear waivers if they wanted. Besides, there will be injuries and moves this summer that could open up spots for guys.

If Franzen is on IR all year and they waive or trade Weiss:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist

Jurco-Helm-Pulkkinen

Miller-Glendening-Ferraro

Andersson-Callahan

Cleary replacing one of Andersson or Callahan wouldn't be a huge deal, although I think it would be best for him to be in GR or somewhere else entirely.