• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

evilmrt

Report: Cleary wants to return for 1 more season

Rate this topic

Exactly. People are going to lose their s*** over a guy that played 17 games last season and probably would play even less under Blashill. He's a veteran presence in the locker room that the Red Wings feel they need to take care of, for better or worse. His impact as a hockey player will not have any affect on the team going forward.

He sucks as a hockey player. The Detroit Red Wings are a hockey team, get the f*** off the team already...

Edited by ben_usmc

I wasn't citing only an anonymous freep tweet, I was citing an anonymous NHL source that confirmed the freep tweet, hence two anonymous sources lol.

Of couse I read your entire post, if I am going to respond back with a difference of opinion I am going to make sure I know what I am responding to. There is no lack of "sinking in" needed here. I 100% fully understand your opinion and understand why you have it, I simply dont agree with you.

I feel like using the term common sense is a slight way of taking a shot at me for not agreeing with you, as there is no easier way to attack someone's stance/opinion then saying that the reason why they don't agree with you is due to a lack of intelligence or lack of comprehension. That's fine, but I am not going to go down that road. You want to understand my logic in believing the story, here it is:

- Philadelphia is nototious for making stupid moves. Any other team I probably would not believe it, but this is a team that traded JVR for Schenn, Hartnell for Umberger and numerous other horrible moves that I don't feel like looking up. I think this point is shown.

- I believe Ken Holland's biggest strength is his eye for talent. In the case of Cleary, I have to wonder why he would give him a (1.5 - 2.5mil) contract when it was obvious to everyone that the guy was done. I don't believe Holland is bad GM, and I don't believe that he was unaware of Cleary's diminishing skillset/health, I believe that he made the signing due to the loyalty Cleary showed him in turning down the Philly contract. If Holland signs him again to a one year deal, then I definitely believe it. I know Holland makes mistakes, I am not saying the guy is perfect, but there was not really any upside with Cleary last year and especially not this year. (He does bring leadership, and he does just take a press box spot, but 2.5mil is way to much for that)

- I don't see why HSJ would just make this up, why an anonymous source would lie when confirming it, or why NBC sports would make up an anonymous source confirming it. It's such a small story, there is no reason to lie about this. Its not a story that is going to "get clicks". To me it makes more sense that Philly offered this contract, received backlash for another bonehead move, then denied it.

Again, I AM NOT saying that the contract is 100% true, I am saying that I think it is true.

I don't think that's the case anymore. Holland hasn't made a significant trade or free agent signing to improve the club in YEARS. He's done things to hold back the influx of younger players.

Holland's greatest strengths... and I hold these in very high regard... are his ability to hire the right person for a job and to trust them to do their jobs. He listens to his people and lets them do what they are being paid to do. That's an excellent quality for someone running a franchise.

However, I think Holland's days as an effective GM are about done. I don't think he can or will make the necessary roster moves to put the Wings back on top.

Holland for President (and not GM).

I don't think that's the case anymore. Holland hasn't made a significant trade or free agent signing to improve the club in YEARS. He's done things to hold back the influx of younger players.

Holland's greatest strengths... and I hold these in very high regard... are his ability to hire the right person for a job and to trust them to do their jobs. He listens to his people and lets them do what they are being paid to do. That's an excellent quality for someone running a franchise.

However, I think Holland's days as an effective GM are about done. I don't think he can or will make the necessary roster moves to put the Wings back on top.

Holland for President (and not GM).

There is a ton I can say to this, but it would just be a repeat of of things I have said 50 times already. Mostly in this thread: http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic/76672-holland-signs-4-year-extension-with-wings-mod-warning-post-130/page-13?hl=+fire%20+holland

He sucks as a hockey player. The Detroit Red Wings are a hockey team, get the f*** off the team already...

I'm well aware of Cleary's impact or lack thereof as a hockey player. Once again, he would probably be the 14th forward at best. Ken Holland hasn't fixed the defense in five years now -- I will save my angst for that, rather than Dan Cleary.

I'm well aware of Cleary's impact or lack thereof as a hockey player. Once again, he would probably be the 14th forward at best. Ken Holland hasn't fixed the defense in five years now -- I will save my angst for that, rather than Dan Cleary.

You know you don't have to choose one or the other, right? You could/should have angst for both.

You know you don't have to choose one or the other, right? You could/should have angst for both.

I know, but Dan Cleary isn't stopping the Red Wings from contending. Not having a defense for years is more of a reason to get worked up, IMO. I don't care if people are pissed about Cleary and I definitely get that argument, but there are bigger fish to fry.

I know, but Dan Cleary isn't stopping the Red Wings from contending. Not having a defense for years is more of a reason to get worked up, IMO. I don't care if people are pissed about Cleary and I definitely get that argument, but there are bigger fish to fry.

Ya, but which "prospect" are you willing to give up (for free) for Cleary to have that #14 spot? Jurco? Pulkkinen? Ferraro? Callahan? Who else? Point isn't we'd rather worry about upgrading the D rather than being upset if Cleary comes back, point is, if Holland cannot make a deal and Franzen makes a comeback to play, you are waiver 2 players to keep Cleary in that #14 spot. Ferraro will not clear waivers again...Jurco, Pulkkinen will never clear waivers, even once. Callahan is a favorite of Blashill's, so he will fight to keep him off waivers... siging Cleary will destroy some of the future of this team...lose Ferraro and Callahan, but hey, Cleary is only the #14 guy, so no biggie...

Ya, but which "prospect" are you willing to give up (for free) for Cleary to have that #14 spot? Jurco? Pulkkinen? Ferraro? Callahan? Who else? Point isn't we'd rather worry about upgrading the D rather than being upset if Cleary comes back, point is, if Holland cannot make a deal and Franzen makes a comeback to play, you are waiver 2 players to keep Cleary in that #14 spot. Ferraro will not clear waivers again...Jurco, Pulkkinen will never clear waivers, even once. Callahan is a favorite of Blashill's, so he will fight to keep him off waivers... siging Cleary will destroy some of the future of this team...lose Ferraro and Callahan, but hey, Cleary is only the #14 guy, so no biggie...

You could sign Cleary then send him to the minors.

Its all right, let em go through waivers. We can always trade a first round pick to get them back á la Kyle Quincey

If Cleary is re-signed he will not cost anyone a roster spot. He will be assigned to the minors and collect his promised pay cheque there and be glorified mentor for the young guys.

It's really a non-issue since we shouldn't even be that close to the cap.

Nobody would have an issue if this happened.

But two years ago we all knew there was no way Cleary was coming back because he was clearly deteriorating.

-He ended up with the Wings

Then last year we all knew there was absolutely no way he would be back after a god awful season the year before when he shouldn't have been brought back the first time.

-But he STILL ended with the Wings.

Now for the 3rd year we all know there is absolutely no doubt about the fact the he should be gone once and for all.

-I'm not holding out any hope for the 'right' decision to be made

Edited by roboturner

With all the promising kids we have coming plus potential UFA additions, I can't imagine Ferraro or Callahan have any future with us regardless.

Nobody would have an issue if this happened.

But two years ago we all knew there was no way Cleary was coming back because he was clearly deteriorating.

-He ended up with the Wings

Then last year we all knew there was absolutely no way he would be back after a god awful season the year before when he shouldn't have been brought back the first time.

-But he STILL ended with the Wings.

Now for the 3rd year we all know there is absolutely no doubt about the fact the he should be gone once and for all.

-I'm not holding out any hope for the 'right' decision to be made

Third time's the charm, right?

With all the promising kids we have coming plus potential UFA additions, I can't imagine Ferraro or Callahan have any future with us regardless.

Exactly They're projected 4th line players. Ferraro might be Drew Miller's level, Callahan a decent 4th line agitator. You don't lose sleep over those guys. Of course, this is also the same board where several people insist that virtually any prospect that has a chance of being a 20 goal scorer or 2nd pair D is untouchable, but they MIGHT trade Pulkkinen and Ouellet if they can get a guy like OEL.

This Cleary sh*t is getting ridiculous. Great guy & apparently a great leader BUT around that locker room there is no lack of depth in the leader department. There is a lack of depth in the goal scoring department however and signing Cleary certainly inhibits us filling his spot with Pull's (or someone else)

Third time's the charm, right?

Exactly They're projected 4th line players. Ferraro might be Drew Miller's level, Callahan a decent 4th line agitator. You don't lose sleep over those guys. Of course, this is also the same board where several people insist that virtually any prospect that has a chance of being a 20 goal scorer or 2nd pair D is untouchable, but they MIGHT trade Pulkkinen and Ouellet if they can get a guy like OEL.

Personally I think it's wiser for a team to keep the younger cheaper talent for cap reasons. The more money you can save on 3rd/4th liners the more you can spend on top end talent.

Now if only the Wings the get that top 2 D guy. *crosses fingers*