• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

NBC Sports chairman wants NHL ban playoff beards

Rate this topic

@wyshynski: New Puck Daddy: NBC Sports chairman asked NHL to ban playoff beards http://t.co/6GCKSX4TrR

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nbc-sports-chairman-asked-nhl-to-ban-playoff-beards-190308592.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thank god NHL and NHLPA have ignored this clown.

Yeah, no wonder they hate the Wings... since Hank has a beard year round. How can this ****** market Hank to the world?

He is manly man... no need for dudes in suits to do anything on his behalf.

By the way, headless voice on radio Bernstein was agreeing with him... sigh. I wish I lived elsewhere or maybe I need to get satellite radio again.

I'm surprised people are more upset about the infringement on tradition than the fact that it's not so subtly racist.

“The players won't like this, but I wish they all would stop growing beards in the postseason,” Lazarus said. “Let's get their faces out there. Let's talk about how young and attractive they are. What model citizens they are. (Hockey players) truly are one of a kind among professional athletes.

“I know it's a tradition and superstition, but I think (the beards do) hurt recognition. They have a great opportunity with more endorsements. Or simply more recognition with fans saying, 'That guy looks like the kid next door,' which many of these guys do. I think that would be a nice thing."

Translation: These guys can be sold to Middle America because they're not black, scary, and/or a "thug". They don't have tattoos or dreadlocks. They look like you. We can work with this.

Edited by kipwinger

I'm surprised people are more upset about the infringement on tradition than the fact that it's not so subtly racist.

“The players won't like this, but I wish they all would stop growing beards in the postseason,” Lazarus said. “Let's get their faces out there. Let's talk about how young and attractive they are. What model citizens they are. (Hockey players) truly are one of a kind among professional athletes.

“I know it's a tradition and superstition, but I think (the beards do) hurt recognition. They have a great opportunity with more endorsements. Or simply more recognition with fans saying, 'That guy looks like the kid next door,' which many of these guys do. I think that would be a nice thing."

Translation: These guys can be sold to Middle America because they're not black, scary, and/or a "thug". They don't have tattoos or dreadlocks. They look like you. We can work with this.

I think you read waaaaaay too much into that. I don't think for one second that the kid next door can't be black. At one time where I once lived, the kid next door was actually black. I was cool with that. It was cool with him, too, as a matter of fact. I tend to think the people that see racism where most don't, are either too sensitive, or are just looking for controversy where it doesn't exist.

Edited by Hack & Whack Rule!

The players won't like this, but I wish they all would stop growing beards in the postseason, Lazarus said. Let's get their faces out there. Let's talk about how young and attractive they are. What model citizens they are. (Hockey players) truly are one of a kind among professional athletes.

I know it's a tradition and superstition, but I think (the beards do) hurt recognition. They have a great opportunity with more endorsements. Or simply more recognition with fans saying, 'That guy looks like the kid next door,' which many of these guys do. I think that would be a nice thing."

I think you're wrong. What he meant IMHO is that compared to a more popular sport as in Football, hockey players are model citizens. Fact is race is and most likely will always be a factor in our world, but not everything is about race.

P.s. plenty black, Asian, and Latino people live in the burbs.

Edited by wings87

Sorry, but that's edging into political discussion territory, which is strictly a no-no here. Let's discuss beards and the NHL, please, not race or appearance (outside of relating to said beards) suburbs v. city, etc.

I'm starting to feel like the grinch.....