• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Here we go AGAIN - Coyotes, part DUH!

Rate this topic

Quebec is far from a slam dunk market. What has changed from the 90's? Are they going to have more corporate and government support? Will they still insist focusing on how French they are and have problems getting English language coverage?

I'm not convinced the Jets have a long term future either. They have a small arena, and even with selling out almost every game they're only the 20th valued NHL franchise. If they don't win consistently, which was their major problem in Atlanta, the novelty of having "Our Jets" back will wear off and fans will stop spending the money on games.

We did this conversation last year so I know no one is going to convince you, but I'll respond a bit.

The "If they don't win consistently..." argument ignores how dedicated people are to hockey up north. The Oilers have sucked for how long? and they've sold out 100% for at least the 10 years that this chart goes:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2006

...and they're building a larger arena.

The Jets and Oilers demand some of the largest ticket prices and still get 100% attendance.

They may not get the largest crowds, but that's because of small arenas. Ticket revenue is different. Jets are 16th, Calgary 11th, Edmonton 14th.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-franchise-values-canada-making-fortune-columbus-league-170231554--nhl.html

Edmonton's revenue will go up when they get their larger arena. Jets could probably move to a bigger place in the coming years. They're planning to add about 300 seats, but that's not enough, obviously.

Their media revenue will be higher now due to the sportsnet deal which shows many more games (especially compared to the 90s)

A lot has changed economically since the 90s. The salary cap changes everything, to start with. One of the huge factors for the Jets and Nordiques leaving was that they couldn't compete financially with other team for free agents - now the playing field is pretty even in that respect.

It was also the era of Bettman growing the game into the U.S. and so the league was more than willing to take the opportunity to take a team south.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

I miss the Ultimate Warriors rants. His intro was classic. His matches were always 5 minutes or less because he was likely gassed from running to the ring. You Hulk Hogan cannot deny the Power of the Ultimate Warrior! Then he would get some phlegm snot grunt noise going while looking upwards. Lol

Edited by Helmethead

Here's the most interesting part of that article for me: Hmmmmm. Hey, Gary, I thought the NHL wasn't even considering expansion right now?

The NHL announced it was accepting applications for expansion franchises from July 6 until Aug. 10.

*EDIT* Apparently this was announced 6 days ago. How did I miss that?????

Literally just came to post this. The Post can be taken with a pinch of salt... especially with no one really on record. But it starts a ball rolling. I mentioned in the Yotes jersey thread, I was in Vegas in May... lots of new arenas being built.

I thought that the pro-sports leagues hated the whole legal gambling thing though? The NFL doesn't even let Vegas advertise during the Super Bowl