• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
e_prime

Pronger (contract) and Grossman to for Sam Gagner and conditional pick

Rate this topic

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/philadelphia-flyers-trade-chris-pronger-nicklas-grossmann-to-coyotes-for-sam-gagner/

If there's one thing that will happen with each new CBA, it's new and interesting ways to get around the cap.

I know we've already seen bad contracts traded for players that may never play in the league again... but now we're seeing players that aren't even in the league (permanent LITR) and are employed by the league! FFS are we reaching a new low?

I just don't understand how Pronger could have taken a job with the league and not forced to retire as a player first. Now basement teams are gonna reach the cap floor with bulls*** contracts like Pronger, when they should be forced to take on players like Weiss.

I have no expectations that this will become precedent.

I'd just like an explanation from the league how they wrapped their heads around approving this trade.

Also, I dunno what happened to the thread title (probably too long) but it said "...to ARI for..."

Surely this is with a view to retirement? Arizona need to reach the cap floor and if Pronger retires the salary counts on cap but they will not need to pay him. Blatant cap violation, however, in light of recent incidents in Glendale a way for the league to continue to prop up the ailing Coyotes franchise.

I have no expectations that this will become precedent.

I'd just like an explanation from the league how they wrapped their heads around approving this trade.

Also, I dunno what happened to the thread title (probably too long) but it said "...to ARI for..."

It's pretty ridiculous, I'll give you that. I don't expect much of a response from the league though.

I just don't understand how Pronger could have taken a job with the league and not forced to retire as a player first. Now basement teams are gonna reach the cap floor with bulls*** contracts like Pronger, when they should be forced to take on players like Weiss.

Hahaha.

Beautiful.

It's pretty ridiculous, I'll give you that. I don't expect much of a response from the league though.

Even if they have a problem with it, nothing will be done or said publicly, it would make them look bad.

So Pronger is an employee of the NHL front office while also being employed as an NHL player under contract (who just got traded) while also becoming eligible for the HHOF because of the new bylaws? That's some impressive Pronger physics.

I wonder if the Coyotes will retire his jersey? He's the best d-man they've ever had.

So Pronger is an employee of the NHL front office while also being an NHL player under contract who just got traded while also becoming eligible for the HHOF because of the new bylaws. That's some impressive Pronger physics.

I wonder if the Coyotes will retire his jersey? He's the best d-man they've ever had.

A very shrewd trade.

I wonder if the NHL can get away with trading the Coyotes to Sweden.

Horrible for entertainment purposes?

More like. Sad and profitable with plenty of sequels. Edited by wings87

IMO they need to no longer allow players on LTIR to be traded. Specifically those who are out indefinitely/forever. It is the only way to stop these trades. The cap was brought in to level competition, by forcing teams to all pay a similar salary for their roster. By taking on a cap hit that should be retired, the Yotes while technically are inching close to the cap floor, will actually be paying nowhere near it. Same for how the Leafs were able to dump Clarkson's contract to be able to pay a player who will never play again, and not count against the cap. Neither trade should have been allowed at all.

IMO they need to no longer allow players on LTIR to be traded. Specifically those who are out indefinitely/forever. It is the only way to stop these trades. The cap was brought in to level competition, by forcing teams to all pay a similar salary for their roster. By taking on a cap hit that should be retired, the Yotes while technically are inching close to the cap floor, will actually be paying nowhere near it. Same for how the Leafs were able to dump Clarkson's contract to be able to pay a player who will never play again, and not count against the cap. Neither trade should have been allowed at all.

To be honest I don't really have a problem with the Clarkson trade, as much as I do this Pronger deal. Clarkson may actually turn out to be a useful player for Columbus. If they truly couldn't afford to pay for in and another actually turn out to be a useful player for Columbus. If they truly couldn't afford to pay for in and another quality player than this really is the best move that could've happened for them and for their fans too.

However, the reason the Floor was put in place was partially from cheating their fans. The coyotes trading for Pronger who is never going to play again just to reach the floor does just that.

To be honest I don't really have a problem with the Clarkson trade, as much as I do this Pronger deal. Clarkson may actually turn out to be a useful player for Columbus. If they truly couldn't afford to pay for in and another actually turn out to be a useful player for Columbus. If they truly couldn't afford to pay for in and another quality player than this really is the best move that could've happened for them and for their fans too.

However, the reason the Floor was put in place was partially from cheating their fans. The coyotes trading for Pronger who is never going to play again just to reach the floor does just that.

Am I right in thinking that the only way that Pronger's contract helps Phoenix reach the floor is if he 1) plays or 2) retires?

If they pay him while on LTIR all they do is waste money as he won't impact the cap and will be paid.

Am I right in thinking that the only way that Pronger's contract helps Phoenix reach the floor is if he 1) plays or 2) retires?

If they pay him while on LTIR all they do is waste money as he won't impact the cap and will be paid.

Players on LTIR still count against the cap but allow their team to go over the cap by as much money as their cap hit, I believe.