• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dominator2005

Red Wings sign D Mike Green (3-years, $18-million)

Rate this topic

If thats what you have to tell yourself to help you sleep at night. Green's average time on ice has dropped significantly the past two consecutive seasons and in the most recent playoffs it dropped even more. But you are saying this was purely a loyalty thing since they weren't resigning him? Playing him less made the Caps worse as a team but it was worth it because they weren't resigning him? Ya, ok.

scored more than every other dman aside from Carlson with less minutes so I don't know what the point of your argument is. We wanted a RH defensemen that can score and we got one. The way capitals manage their team has nothing to do with how we manage ours

Seriously ppl stop going to other teams forums it's not helpful scouting reports. Imagine what people would have thought of flippula

scored more than every other dman aside from Carlson with less minutes so I don't know what the point of your argument is. We wanted a RH defensemen that can score and we got one. The way capitals manage their team has nothing to do with how we manage ours

Seriously ppl stop going to other teams forums it's not helpful scouting reports. Imagine what people would have thought of flippula

You don't need to go to forums to see what is obvious. Green sucks at D, he was a 3rd pairing D-man on the Caps, he was awful against the Rangers, he had two points in 14 games in the playoffs...he had two power play points in the last 2.5 months of the season and his play in general was pretty miserable towards the latter part of the season.

I just don't see why everyone sees this as an absolute slam dunk deal.

Edited by greenrebellion

You don't need to go to forums to see what is obvious. Green sucks at D, he was a 3rd pairing D-man on the Caps, he was awful against the Rangers, he had two points in 14 games in the playoffs...he had two power play points in the last 2.5 months of the season and his play in general was pretty miserable towards the latter part of the season.

I see you have very sound logic no point in discussing with you further :)

Whole caps team couldn't score in the playoffs. Kind of a Trotz thing evidently. Maybe if Green got more ice time they could :)

Maybe for the simple fact that the majority of us disagree with your opinion? You can be as pessimistic as you want, doesn't mean others have to agree with you.

I see you have very sound logic no point in discussing with you further :)

Whole caps team couldn't score in the playoffs. Kind of a Trotz thing evidently. Maybe if Green got more ice time they could :)

Green was dead last in Caps playoff points amongst D, so that argument doesn't fly.

Green was dead last in Caps playoff points amongst D, so that argument doesn't fly.

Nobody is arguing that Green isn't all about offence, he is. But he's also very good at being an offensive defensemen. Barry Trotz is the most defensive minded coach in the NHL. His teams therefore, don't score and his teams also haven't ever won anything notable ever. We are a different team with different needs. There couldn't be a worse fit for Trotz' system than Green

Kronwall - Ericsson

Quincey - Green

Smith - Dekeyser

Kids

I kinda like Dekeyser with Smith. He will cover for his brain farts, and allow smith to attack in the offensive zone. Then again I suppose Ericsson could do that too and allow Deke to become the #2 that he seems destined to be...

I haven't heard good things about Green from any Caps fans, or anyone other than Wings fans, for years.

Then you're not talking to very many people.

"Yeah but I went to a Caps board and everyone was glad to be rid of him!"

OK. I can play the some-random-anonymous-person-on-the-internet-said-something game.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2015/07/01/mike-green-signs-three-year-18-million-deal-with-the-detroit-red-wings/#more-88232

Down in the comments section, dcsportsfan85 says:

The Capitals are severely going to miss Mike Green and I think he's going to absolutely THRIVE in Detroit. This is a huge loss for the organization especially since we've lost another young gun for nothing in return.

As much as I like Brooks Orpik and what he brought to this team I'd still rather swamp him for Green any day of the week. I would have been ecstatic if the Caps top 4 had been Carlson-Green & Alzner-Niskanen last season.

I've watched Green. (I pay special attention to the players I'd like to see the Wings target.) I've gone over his stats, both basic and "fancy." I've looked at him through the lens of all manner of metrics. I've watched our team struggle to move the puck, struggle to establish a precision transition game, struggle to score at even strength, struggle to get pucks on net from the point, struggle to squeeze point production out of a scoring-challenged D corps. All things considered, Mike Green at $6M x 3 is, to me, a great move - and I say that as someone who tends to be very cynical and pessimistic about Ken Holland's decision making.

Is there some inherent risk? Sure. But I'm not expecting him to set the world on fire and win the Norris and Hart. I'm hoping for a good second-pairing defenseman who can give us 10 goals and 40 points and help us spend more time with the puck and, by extension, on the attack. We have more than enough left-shooting "defensive defensemen." Adding a high-end right-shooting scoring defenseman for nothing but money? I'm totally down with that.

Rafalski was a dumpster fire on d but was also small and weak but he had a hell of a career and wasn't a liability playing on the first line. You take the good with the bad. There's not many perfect defensemen. With Green's skating ability and size he could improve his defensive game anyways

Then you're not talking to very many people.

"Yeah but I went to a Caps board and everyone was glad to be rid of him!"

OK. I can play the some-random-anonymous-person-on-the-internet-said-something game.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2015/07/01/mike-green-signs-three-year-18-million-deal-with-the-detroit-red-wings/#more-88232

Down in the comments section, dcsportsfan85 says:

I've watched Green. (I pay special attention to the players I'd like to see the Wings target.) I've gone over his stats, both basic and "fancy." I've looked at him through the lens of all manner of metrics. I've watched our team struggle to move the puck, struggle to establish a precision transition game, struggle to score at even strength, struggle to get pucks on net from the point, struggle to squeeze point production out of a scoring-challenged D corps. All things considered, Mike Green at $6M x 3 is, to me, a great move - and I say that as someone who tends to be very cynical and pessimistic about Ken Holland's decision making.

Is there some inherent risk? Sure. But I'm not expecting him to set the world on fire and win the Norris and Hart. I'm hoping for a good second-pairing defenseman who can give us 10 goals and 40 points and help us spend more time with the puck and, by extension, on the attack. We have more than enough left-shooting "defensive defensemen." Adding a high-end right-shooting scoring defenseman for nothing but money? I'm totally down with that.

Good post, I hope you are right.

If anything, I just hope Wings fans go into next season not thinking this guy is the second coming of Bobby Orr (obvious hyperbole here).

Green is obviously not washed up or anything and while I have my concerns about the deal and do not think it is a slam dunk...hopefully the last couple months of the season is not representative of Green's overall play and he fits in well in the Wings system.

I don't think it's a slam dunk deal. I've never been much of a Green fan but this defense desperately needs someone who can move the puck and be a threat offensively. Even if he was a 3rd pairing d-man who played miserably towards the latter part of the last season, Green still put up more points than any Red Wings defenseman. He also had more goals than any Red Wings defenseman.

Even with his defensive shortcomings Green will hopefully help keep the Wings from getting pinned in their own zone for so long, in the way that Rafalski's long bomb outlet passes used to keep the other team's forecheck honest. And a right hander on the point who can actually fire a slapshot should definitely help. The Wings apparently plan to pair him with Dekeyser, who Babcock called the eraser because of how he fixed his partners mistakes. Hopefully that will help.

But Green is also injury prone. Or his production might drop, and if he's not producing then it's certainly not worth his downsides.

It's not so much that Green is a slam dunk as it is the defense so desperately needs what he hopefully would provide.

Ansar Khan@AnsarKhanMLive 3h

Holland said plan is to pair Green with DeKeyser.

Edited by haroldsnepsts
to add tweet about Green playing with DK

I just did some quick research and it's funny but Mike green was selected 29th overall in 2004 by Washington, a pick they received from... Drum roll please...

The Detroit red wings!!

The Detroit Red Wings' first-round pick went to the Washington Capitals as the result of a trade on February 27, 2004 that sent Robert Lang to Detroit in exchange for Tomas Fleischmann, Detroit's fourth-round pick in 2006 and this pick

Rafalski was a dumpster fire on d but was also small and weak but he had a hell of a career and wasn't a liability playing on the first line. You take the good with the bad. There's not many perfect defensemen. With Green's skating ability and size he could improve his defensive game anyways

Lids made anyone shine....

So with Green here, there is definitely a move coming or a waiver or two.

Kronwall-Ericsson

Dekeyser-Green

Smith-Quincey

Kindl

Sure, I guess the kids can go to GR, but Marchenko already said he doesn't want to spend aother whole year in the A. I honestly think a great idea would to be move K and Q and give a spot to two of the kids. You may be able to get a pick for each of them.

Kronwall-Ericsson

Dekeyser-Green

Smith-Marchenko

Jensen

We weren't looking for a defensive defenseman. Every defenseman we have is stellar defensively aside from smith's frequent mistakes and E's occasional mistakes. Kenny knows exactly what he's paying for with Green

Not sure I'd use a word as strong as "stellar". Kronwall is prone is the same mistakes as Smith. When Quincey is your safest bet it doesn't scream cup contender.

Kronwall-Ericsson

Dekeyser-Green

Smith-Quincey

Kindl

Sure, I guess the kids can go to GR, but Marchenko already said he doesn't want to spend aother whole year in the A. I honestly think a great idea would to be move K and Q and give a spot to two of the kids. You may be able to get a pick for each of them.

Kronwall-Ericsson

Dekeyser-Green

Smith-Marchenko

Jensen

^ this

I'm not thrilled about pairing him with DeKeyser. Quincey and DD played well together. I'd rather Smith go with Kron and E go with Green, but I think Green has to go with someone more responsible than E. Tough choice and it shows how our corps is still unbalanced a bit.

Kronwall-Ericsson

Dekeyser-Green

Smith-Quincey

Kindl

Kronwall-Ericsson

Dekeyser-Green

Smith-Marchenko

Jensen

I like that idea if we could pull it off. Would love to have the kids up.

Guest Playmaker

An offensive defenseman under 30 with a RH shot on a short term deal? Even if he does end up being subpar on the back end, it's really hard to find fault with this deal. When you consider what's out there (or what isn't out there) and the prices that those guys are demanding, kind of hard to find any negatives to it.