• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dominator2005

Red Wings sign D Mike Green (3-years, $18-million)

Rate this topic

I never understood that narrative, Suter&parise went to minny because they wanted to play together, every time someone brings up suter and/or parise as evidence that we can't attract free agents I get a bit annoyed.

Also.

I like that last part.

Aye, the whole Suter and Parise situation bit us hard. They went to play in Minn for personal reasons and somehow it turned into "ooooooo Red Wings can't attract these guys! Holland lost his touch! Maybe Babcock is the problem!" "Omg did you hear Zetterberg say it's either him or Babcock?" "Datsyuk said he's had enough of Babcock and intends on going to the KHL after 2013!" "Fire Holland!" "Get rid of Babcock!"

All was rubbish. Parise is a born Minnesotan that wanted to play for his home state. We did well this year for market and hopefully we can land another big one next year. I'm hoping Kopitar as Richards moves on.

Edited by kickazz

Aye, the whole Suter and Parise situation bit us hard. They went to play in Minn for personal reasons and somehow it turned into "ooooooo Red Wings can't attract these guys! Holland lost his touch! Maybe Babcock is the problem!" "Omg did you hear Zetterberg say it's either him or Babcock?" "Datsyuk said he's had enough of Babcock and intends on going to the KHL after 2013!" "Fire Holland!" "Get rid of Babcock!"

All was rubbish. Parise is a born Minnesotan that wanted to play for his home state. We did well this year for market and hopefully we can land another big one next year. I'm hoping Kopitar as Richards moves on.

Ha.

You have no idea how happy I would be to have kopitar, he is one of my favorite players not on the wings.

He's amazeballs.

I highly doubt he leaves l.a. I see them doing whatever they have to do to keep him, including buying out or retaining a bunch of money on brown, not re-signing lucic.(even though they just gave up quite a bit to get him)

L.A. has a few players on the team that I've always liked... I really like Dwight kings style, and its always amused me that his last name is king playing for the kings ( I'm easily amused), and I've always really liked Jeff Carter... but getting kopitar would be crazy...

Ha.

You have no idea how happy I would be to have kopitar, he is one of my favorite players not on the wings.

He's amazeballs.

I highly doubt he leaves l.a. I see them doing whatever they have to do to keep him, including buying out or retaining a bunch of money on brown, not re-signing lucic.(even though they just gave up quite a bit to get him)

L.A. has a few players on the team that I've always liked... I really like Dwight kings style, and its always amused me that his last name is king playing for the kings ( I'm easily amused), and I've always really liked Jeff Carter... but getting kopitar would be crazy...

You and me on the same page here. Kopitar is one of my favorite non-wings player as well. Wish we could get him next year, he would fit right into our system. But you're right it does seem like they're making preparations to keep him.

Wasn't there a poll a few years ago where Babcock was voted by players around the league as one of the coaches they'd least want to play for?

Might explain why we got two free agents to agree to come here as soon as he's gone.

I mentioned this before as well, but when I tried to find it I came up empty. I remember they were talking about this on 97.1 a few months back, I remember because it surprised me.

With the 1-3-1 power-play setup, using one defenseman, I think it kind of defeats the purpose of having that great left-handed (Kronwall) and right-handed (Green) offensive defensemen on separate units.

I'd love to see two different units with two completely different setups, using the 1-3-1 with one defender on one, and the standard 3-2 with two defenders on the other. I've heard people say in the past that a team wouldn't adopt this strategy because it would be difficult to practice two different setups. I really don't think it would be at all, and I think it would really keep the opposition guessing...

I'd like to see something like this...

Power-Play Unit 1

Abdelkader

Pulkkinen Datsyuk Zetterberg

Kronwall

Power-Play Unit 2

Nyquist Richards Tatar

Green Smith

I mentioned this before as well, but when I tried to find it I came up empty. I remember they were talking about this on 97.1 a few months back, I remember because it surprised me.

There are times when 97.1 resources can be as good as a high school student gossip.

Ha.

He's amazeballs.

Agreed. It'd be amazing if the Wings pulled off a miracle and landed him but I can't ever see the Kings letting Kopitar go. He should really be wearing the C on that team. I've been saying that he plays a similar game to Zetterberg, only Kopi is actually 6'3" 225 lbs, whereas Z just plays like he is.

Agreed. It'd be amazing if the Wings pulled off a miracle and landed him but I can't ever see the Kings letting Kopitar go. He should really be wearing the C on that team. I've been saying that he plays a similar game to Zetterberg, only Kopi is actually 6'3" 225 lbs, whereas Z just plays like he is.

I was going to mention this in my previous comment but chose not to as I thought not many shared the opinion haha. But yeah he's very similar in his style of play to Hank.

With the 1-3-1 power-play setup, using one defenseman, I think it kind of defeats the purpose of having that great left-handed (Kronwall) and right-handed (Green) offensive defensemen on separate units.

I'd love to see two different units with two completely different setups, using the 1-3-1 with one defender on one, and the standard 3-2 with two defenders on the other. I've heard people say in the past that a team wouldn't adopt this strategy because it would be difficult to practice two different setups. I really don't think it would be at all, and I think it would really keep the opposition guessing...

I'd like to see something like this...

Power-Play Unit 1

Abdelkader

Pulkkinen Datsyuk Zetterberg

Kronwall

Power-Play Unit 2

Nyquist Richards Tatar

Green Smith

I thought it was mentioned by Holland and Blashill that one of the things they brought Richards in for was he can quarterback a PP just like Green? That'd make me think they're both going to be on different PP lines. I do like the lines you have there, though.

I've heard that mentioned as well. I'm just really not a fan of having a forward playing the point on the power-play, be it Samuelsson, Williams, Hudler, Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Tatar Richards, etc... especially when you have 3-4 capable defenders that can be quality quarterbacks with the man advantage. I like Richards in the middle of the ice like Dastyuk on the first unit, orchestrating the play.

MLive's Ansar Khan ponders whether Jeff Blashill might finally choose to utilize Brendan Smith on the Red Wings' power play, unlike his predecessor:

"I think Brendan has that ability to do that (power play)," Blashill said. "You have to see where the whole puzzle fits at camp. He's somebody I know that's done that in the past because he's done that for me in the American League (for half the 2012-13 season)."

Blashill has a vision of how Smith can be best utilized.

"I think Brendan's best offensive ability is kind of roaming around below the tops of the circles," Blashill said. "If he's a weak-side guy on the power play, going to the net a lot, he can retrieve pucks because he's quick, he's strong, he's competitive. He's got good offensive instincts once he gets below the tops of circles. I know at Wisconsin he was on his off-side (right side) hitting one-timers. That's something we'll explore going into camp."

MLive's Ansar Khan ponders whether Jeff Blashill might finally choose to utilize Brendan Smith on the Red Wings' power play, unlike his predecessor:

"I think Brendan has that ability to do that (power play)," Blashill said. "You have to see where the whole puzzle fits at camp. He's somebody I know that's done that in the past because he's done that for me in the American League (for half the 2012-13 season)."

Blashill has a vision of how Smith can be best utilized.

"I think Brendan's best offensive ability is kind of roaming around below the tops of the circles," Blashill said. "If he's a weak-side guy on the power play, going to the net a lot, he can retrieve pucks because he's quick, he's strong, he's competitive. He's got good offensive instincts once he gets below the tops of circles. I know at Wisconsin he was on his off-side (right side) hitting one-timers. That's something we'll explore going into camp."

There is no doubt Smith can do this but the problem is he overplays it and the turnovers cost us or have been close to it. At the NHL level the game is too fast to not recover. Smith does have that potential but lets hope he can find a balance and do it right. It's risky but I'm glad Blash will assess it in camp rather than put full faith in.

Blash seems open minded yet cautious at the same time. Good.

Edited by kickazz

Sorry wrong thread.... But while I'm here, I think green can make a world of difference on this team, but only if he stays out of the coaches dog house for his shortcomings. But that was a Babcock strategy (which I hated) so we'll see.

Edited by LidstromIsASuperhero

I would personally like to thank crap teams who need to grossly overpay sub-elite talent in order to keep them there. Now every player of that calibre can use them as an example at to become grossly overpaid arbitration. Thanks buffalo, Columbus, Ryan O'Reilly, and Brandon saad!

...but as pointed out by many on the board already, Detroit typically gets a deal done with players that choose arbitration before it ever gets to an arbitration hearing. So who cares about those teams that can't get things done without overpaying and greedy money grubbing players.

Nyquist going the route of player elected arbitration does two things:

1. Shows that he wants to stay a Wing and is willing to negotiate in good faith that a fair deal will get done.

2. Keeps other teams from offer-sheeting him.