• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dominator2005

Red Wings sign D Mike Green (3-years, $18-million)

Rate this topic

I just did some quick research and it's funny but Mike green was selected 29th overall in 2004 by Washington, a pick they received from... Drum roll please...

The Detroit red wings!!

The Detroit Red Wings' first-round pick went to the Washington Capitals as the result of a trade on February 27, 2004 that sent Robert Lang to Detroit in exchange for Tomas Fleischmann, Detroit's fourth-round pick in 2006 and this pick

Hockey comes full circle.

I went on record saying that I didn't want the Wings to sign Green. My reasoning was that I thought he had a good chance at being another Weiss with his injury history and his slow decline.

With that being said, I was almost sure he was going to get a Niskanen like deal. Given the fact that we got him for only 3 years, I am cautiously happy with this deal.

I think DD will really take a huge step in his development playing with Green. He can really focus on being a rock solid defender when he doesn't have the responsibility of pushing the play but he can also make the plays when he sees them. He's a really dynamic shut down defender with a great skill set. The only thing I see lacking in his game is his in O zone play and creating off the rush, something that Green really excels at

Well whats gonna happen here? There's a pretty big logjam for D. Just signed Smith to a pretty good deal, don't see him being jettisoned off for nothing. That leaves E and Q. I would rather have Q for his pk skill but E has a degree of toughness when he wants to use it. XO and 47 are over ripe. Then there's Kindl, who is offensively skilled but a defensive liability. I for one hope we send E on his merry way. Maybe package him and Howard for an asset.

55-2

65-52

27-47

Good Job Holland! Haters gonna hate.

Sounds like Blashill being the coach might have had some influence

We DO need to trade some D-Men (more than one).

I think we need to keep Marchenko... maybe we trade XO (even though I like him).

Green was always 25 when he played for the Bears in the AHL, I have a feeling he goes back to that.

And also everyone saying Green is a bottom pairing dman, he averaged 19 minutes a game? That's a lot for a bottom 6. In comparison that puts him in the same realm and Big E, and quincey, and a higher average then the rest. Pretty obvious he is less then Kronwall.

Edited by Crashnburnluder

dont forget that the wings system now has chelios as a defensive assistant.

i dont think the caps have that in their fold.

cheli should make a noticeable difference in the "attention to detail" & "fitness" aspect of all our D.

Guest Playmaker

I guess I'm in the minority, but I never give a single thought to what number a player is going to wear.

I definitely feel like we gained a huge plus on our back end. With Marchenko and Oulette so close the signing of Green is great....Though I've seen him play a lot and he has a lot of moments of defensive lapses (we're used to it) BUT he has the potential to give that Subban like spark that's rarely on our side anymore it seems.

Again I love this move

My favorite part about this deal s that it essentially forces additional changes to our defense moving forward. There's a lot of pieces for KH to play with along with our forward depth. Kindl should definitely be moved soon, but I think we hold onto Quincey and wait for an opportunity to ship him to a team needing depth mid-season for like a 5th or 6th round pick.